[OB] Who is getting left out of part 2?

the_archduke

7 hours ago, Calderis said:

Don't know anything about Elhokar, but Renarin is one of the flashback characters in the back has lf. 

Sorry, I meant specifically in Oathbringer. I know Renarin is a flashback character somewhere in books 6-10, but I my question was about why he couldn't be one of the tertiary characters in Oathbringer.

5 hours ago, Nebty said:

I believe Brandon did say that Renarin was getting a viewpoint chapter in OB, but probably only one. 

Yeah, I saw that. This one:

Questioner

When are your plans for more Renarin?
Brandon Sanderson

So, do you want a little spoiler? There is a viewpoint from him in the third book.

It probably means we're only getting one Renarin PoV, but it stops short of saying there aren't multiple viewpoints so I'm still hopeful.

8 hours ago, Salkara said:

Do you have a source on Renarin and Elhokar not being tertiary characters? I thought they were still possibilities?

Also, I thought there's a WoB which said that Navani would have a bigger role to play in coming events? It's late though, so I'll try to dig it up tomorrow.

Yes, the OB updates made by Brandon. The tertiary characters are: Adolin, Szeth, Eshonai, Navani and Jasnah. There is one too many for the number of spots, so one of them may turn out being an "occasional viewpoint" character. Adolin and Szeth have been officially confirmed as tertiary characters. Brandon specifically anyone who isn't one of those five characters was not allowed more than an occasional chapter and he specifically said this included Renarin. He said the Renarin fans will have to be more patient. So yeah, Renarin is definitely off the list. As for Elhokar, he never were into the list, but some have theorize he might get the "part 2 mystery novella".

5 hours ago, Nebty said:

I believe Brandon did say that Renarin was getting a viewpoint chapter in OB, but probably only one. 

I had never seen the WoB down below which confirms he does get a viewpoint chapter. Great collection of WoB.

24 minutes ago, maxal said:

Yes, the OB updates made by Brandon. The tertiary characters are: Adolin, Szeth, Eshonai, Navani and Jasnah. There is one too many for the number of spots, so one of them may turn out being an "occasional viewpoint" character. Adolin and Szeth have been officially confirmed as tertiary characters. Brandon specifically anyone who isn't one of those five characters was not allowed more than an occasional chapter and he specifically said this included Renarin. He said the Renarin fans will have to be more patient. So yeah, Renarin is definitely off the list. As for Elhokar, he never were into the list, but some have theorize he might get the "part 2 mystery novella".

I had never seen the WoB down below which confirms he does get a viewpoint chapter. Great collection of WoB.

So I think I found the WoB you were using:

The main characters of the first part of the Stormlight are Shallan, Kaladin, and Dalinar. Two more flashback character (Eshonai and Szeth) can be considered important characters without as many viewpoints, though in the above outline, I'd have listed them as tertiary characters in terms of number of viewpoints.

The actual tertiary characters are Jasnah, Adolin, Navani, and a few that I can't mention as it will be spoilers. These get significant screen time, but only have viewpoints here and there in the first five books. Jasnah, as I've said, grows more important in the back five. Others do as well.

That doesn't seem like he's confirming Szeth and Eshonai as tertiary characters in Oathbringer. To me, it looks like he's saying they're flashback characters in the first arc but don't get as many viewpoints as Kaladin, Dalinar, and Shallan, so in an outline of books 1-5 he'd have them listed as tertiary characters.

He does confirm Jasnah, Adolin, and Navani as tertiary Oathbringer characters though. So Navani is getting a larger role. Not sure who the 4th one is. I doubt it's Elhokar because if he's with Kaladin, it'll just be too many viewpoints in one area. I also doubt Renarin since Brandon has said showing too much of him early on would require a lot of pages (which sounds like secondary or main character status). My top candidates are Lift, Szeth (bolstered by this WoB, even if he says "scenes" instead of "viewpoints"), or one of the Heralds (probably Nale, since if Szeth is with him, there would be the Szeth scenes which start about 3/4s of the way through).

Edited by Salkara

9 minutes ago, Salkara said:

So I think I found the WoB you were using:

That doesn't seem like he's confirming Szeth and Eshonai as tertiary characters in Oathbringer. To me, it looks like he's saying they're flashback characters in the first arc but don't get as many viewpoints as Kaladin, Dalinar, and Shallan, so in an outline of books 1-5 he'd have them listed as tertiary characters.

He does confirm Jasnah, Adolin, and Navani as tertiary Oathbringer characters though. So Navani is getting a larger role. Not sure who the 4th one is. I doubt it's Elhokar because if he's with Kaladin, it'll just be too many viewpoints in one area. I also doubt Renarin since Brandon has said showing too much of him early on would require a lot of pages (which sounds like secondary or main character status). My top candidates are Lift, Szeth (bolstered by this WoB, even if he says "scenes" instead of "viewpoints"), or one of the Heralds (probably Nale, since if Szeth is with him, there would be the Szeth scenes which start about 3/4s of the way through).

I had not read this version of the WoB. He confirmed Szeth sometimes during the conversation on Reddit... Or at least he hinted towards it in a rather definite manner. I thought Navani would be dropped out because I never felt like she needed a story arc nor that much exposure.

6 minutes ago, maxal said:

I had not read this version of the WoB. He confirmed Szeth sometimes during the conversation on Reddit... Or at least he hinted towards it in a rather definite manner. I thought Navani would be dropped out because I never felt like she needed a story arc nor that much exposure.

Well, that one came from right before he started work on Part 5, so Adolin, Jasnah, and Navani are probably locked in. He said the "few others" would be too spoilery to mention, so I'm thinking it's probably Nale. Szeth and Lift don't seem that spoilerish to me because we've already had their viewpoints before. Nale though... I think fandom would explode if he confirmed we were getting lots of viewpoints from a confirmed Herald in this book.

Edited by Salkara

3 minutes ago, Salkara said:

Well, that one came from right before he started work on Part 5, so Adolin, Jasnah, and Navani are probably locked in. He said the "few others" would be too spoilery to mention, so I'm thinking it's probably Nale. Szeth and Lift don't seem that spoilerish to me because we've already had their viewpoints before. Nale though... I think fandom would explode if he confirmed we were getting lots of viewpoints from a confirmed Herald in this book.

He said he listed Szeth and Eshonai as tertiary characters as well... so he has one too many characters for his spots. Five characters, four spots. Something's got to give. The surprise probably comes into the interlude novella and the part 2 novella. I doubt it is Nale though, I was thinking along the lines of: Elhokar, Moash or Amaram.

• Chaos locked this topic