[OB] Who is getting left out of part 2?

the_archduke

OB outline.png

Assuming this chart is still accurate, one of the secondary main characters is not getting a view point in Part 2.  I think Dalinar is clearly the Primary Main Character.  It is his book.  The Two secondary characters I think are equally clearly Kaladin and Shallan.  So which of Kaladin or Shallan will not get a viewpoint in Part 2?  Kaladin just got back to Urithiru, Shallan will be interacting with Jasnah.  We also have Tertiary character 3 getting a viewpoint.  I suspect it will be Jasnah.  Perhaps we won't get any Shallan viewpoints as the POV will be Jasnah?

No idea what Novelette 2 will be.

Thoughts?

Kaladain (and Syl's) moral dilemma in his last chapter seem to be the main focus for this book, so I think it would be a little odd for them to be left out.

Though Dalinar will be going through similar moral qualms, so perhaps Kal gets put to the side since Dalinar will have that aspect covered.

Ultimately I just want more Bridge 4.

Plus glowing Lopen.

Shallan being subordinated into Jasnah's POV chapters is a clever meta-narrative representation of her struggle to escape Jasnah's shadow.

I felt so bad for Shallan.  Struggled so hard, fought an unmade, was feeling a measure of respect for herself for being an independent adult AND SUDDENLY JASNAH.

38 minutes ago, the_archduke said:

I think Dalinar is clearly the Primary Main Character.  It is his book. 

Is this so? It is his FLASHBACK book, but does this really mean he has to be Primary Main Character (PMC)? Wasn't there a WoB that there was no problem to dedicate a book to a flashback character (FBC) who was already dead at that time, which makes it extremely difficult for the FBC to be PMC, too, in my view :-)

How was it in the other books?

EDT: I am just struggling to get Kaladin and Shallan in part 2 ... *mutter*

Edited by Michael Portz
explaining myself again

I agree with @Subvisual Haze. That's a bang-on metaphor if that happens.

I'm just thinking: it would be WONDERFUL to have Shallan not be a POV character in part 2. Now that Kal is back and Shallan knows that he was probably the one who murdered her brother, it will be JUICY to just see how he reacts to her treatment of him rather than see it through her perspective. I think it's going to make for some great confusion and miscommunication between our two favourite broken people who may or may not have some feelings for each other.

11 minutes ago, Goatbringer said:

I'm going to stick with my original assessment of seeing Shallan's story through Jasnah's POV as Tertiary Character 3. 

5 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

Shallan being subordinated into Jasnah's POV chapters is a clever meta-narrative representation of her struggle to escape Jasnah's shadow.

Yepp, that might well be the case!

Jasnah arriving and Kaladin's return threw a wrench in my previous thoughts. I was sure it would be Kaladin missing but I just can't imagine that now he has too many important findings to report. So I guess it will be Shallan but man that feels wrong. OF course Brandon has a way of making what I think will be wrong feel so right. I JUST WANT TO READ PART 2! I decidedI will re-read part one right before the release and then skip to interludes but man it is going to be hard to not want to skip the interludes. 

• Jofwu changed the title to [OB] Who is getting left out of part 2?

The problem with Jasnah as a POV in Part 2 is that she will have the cover scene, and I doubt that will happen in the slow, lore-heavy Part 2. I think she will be the POV of her epic action scene.

Personally, I think Kaladin should take a step back. I would be interested in seeing him as a background character for once. Also, Shallan has more going on, with Jasnah and the Ghostbloods. Kaladin has never missed a part before. I think it is time for him to step back now.

10 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

I felt so bad for Shallan.  Struggled so hard, fought an unmade, was feeling a measure of respect for herself for being an independent adult AND SUDDENLY JASNAH.

Book: Shallan is feeling successful and mature. 

Me: This is obviously an ironic setup, but what could possibly happen to bring Shallan down a notch?

Also me: Jasnah storming Kholin. 

Book: Jasnah walks it. 

Me: Storm it. 

Also me: *smiles smugly*

With Kaladin back in Urithiru I can see how he might get left out. Most of what he needs to contribute to the plot can be told through other PoVs, and I can see how it might make sense to distance the reader from his first-hand experiences. He has to come back and convince everyone that the parshmen aren't evil. Told from his PoV, that will just be met with frustration that nobody is listening. Makes since that Kaladin will have to tell that message through the eyes of others, so we can see how they think and feel about his news.

And remember that Part 2 wont' be as long or standalone as Part 1. It won't be 30 chapters of no Kaladin. It would be maybe 20 or so chapters with Kaladin showing up in other PoVs.

4 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

The problem with Jasnah as a POV in Part 2 is that she will have the cover scene, and I doubt that will happen in the slow, lore-heavy Part 2. I think she will be the POV of her epic action scene.

Personally, I think Kaladin should take a step back. I would be interested in seeing him as a background character for once. Also, Shallan has more going on, with Jasnah and the Ghostbloods. Kaladin has never missed a part before. I think it is time for him to step back now.

As much as I want to see more Kaladin after that last chapter, if this chart is even still accurate, I think you're right, it's got to be Kaladin.

The others just have too much going on to leave them hanging for a part.

I doubt Kaladin will bow out, because I think Kaladin is going to be the contrarian driving Dalinar insane by raising important moral questions about the Listeners.

"Okay I've gathered an army and I'm ready to capture the city, slaughter the Parshmen warriors, and throw rest back into slavery.  Go Radiants!" - Amaram probably

"Slavery is bad!  Parshmen are people too!" - Kaladin

=Dalinar driven even more crazy trying to save the world but not do it in a monstrous manner.

I think Kaladin is the obvious choice to skip Part 2 PoVs. As others have mentioned, everything that needs to be shown with Kaladin and Bridge 4 can be accomplished by small/snippet PoVs sections (either of Kaladin, or even better: Bridge 4 members) at the end of other (primary) PoV chapters.

11 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

I doubt Kaladin will bow out, because I think Kaladin is going to be the contrarian driving Dalinar insane by raising important moral questions about the Listeners.

"Okay I've gathered an army and I'm ready to capture the city, slaughter the Parshmen warriors, and throw rest back into slavery.  Go Radiants!" - Amaram probably

"Slavery is bad!  Parshmen are people too!" - Kaladin

=Dalinar driven even more crazy trying to save the world but not do it in a monstrous manner.

Amaram won't need POVs to talk about slaughtering Parshmen, so I doubt Kaladin would need them to talk about how bad slavery is. In fact, I can see Kaladin being more effective as an obstacle for Dalinar if he lacks a POV. 

Also, Part 2 was supposed to be lore-heavy. Kaladin isn't that lore heavy, really. 

Shalln gonna be left out i think. 

I see Kaladin new view on Parshendi problem conflicting with Dalinar's view on it. I think we need both their POV's to see how they will deal with this problem. Would be strange if we will get thoughts of Dalinar on Kaladin's matter, but not Kaladin's thoughts on Dalinar's matter.

Plus Kaladin being left out also means Syl being left out and she is the most talkative sprean out of all that are bonded with Radiants. To not hear her for the 30+ chapters gonna be unbearable.

p.s. i see Kaladin has ALOT stuff to witness to be excluded from the list of POVs. Amaram stuff, Dalinar stuff, Shallan stuff. I doubt Sanderson would skip his thoughts on all this conflicting stuff.

Edited by Harbour

50 minutes ago, Carnagovich said:

My guess is that TC 3 will die in the end of part 2. And my guess is that it's Adolin. 

That's a very gutsy prediction. I would miss him. But I also like the idea of seeing Renarin as Highprince in this book.

24 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Also, Part 2 was supposed to be lore-heavy.

I like the sound of that but hadn't heard it before. So I have to post the original WoB for anyone else who might be in the same boat.

Part Two turned out well, though it's a slower, more lore-and-character focused section. (It includes some viewpoint chapters I think you'll find unexpected and interesting, though it has less action than other sections of Stormlight.)

source:

My money is on Kaladin being the missing viewpoint. And as much as I want to see some Jasnah PoV right now, I don't want her to disappear for the rest of the book, which TC3 does. So maybe we get some Adolin or Navani viewpoints? It would also be very enlightening to have some Taravangian viewpoints.

Edit: Maybe not Adolin since Brandon said the part 2 viewpoint character would be unexpected..

Edited by Bernem