Odium, Rayse and Stormlight’s setting

Cosmernaut

Question

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what Odium/Rayse looks like. I just started Way of Kings so I’m not sure if they’ll describe him/them in the book later on. What is the in book description? 

I also wanted to know what the design aesthetic of the setting would be. Not in terms of technology or social standards,  but just a parallel for the overall look of the setting. Like how Wax and Wayne’s Elendel is 1910s New York and Era 1 Mistborn is 1820s England. Would the design be something medieval? So far, it feels like it would be later than that but not by too much.

Any help here is appreciated!

Edited by Cosmernaut

8 answers to this question

Rayse has not been described in the books so far. As far as I know, Brandon has not revealed anything about his appearance.

Roshar is much more alien than other worlds in the cosmere, so it's hard to pinpoint an Earth parallel. For a general aesthetic, I'd refer to the official illustrations. (They can all be found online.) Everything about Rosharan civilization has been influenced by the unique weirdness of their planet: highstorms, stormlight, shards, spren, and more. Unfortunately there is no simple analogy to explain Roshar. It is a world born of imagination, and only imagination can comprehend it.

I know it's weird at first, not knowing how to picture things. But the best thing to do is keep reading. Let Brandon paint you a picture with his (numerous) words.

I don't think that a physical description of Odium has been given yet,  The general aesthetics are hard to place as there is influence from different cultures Alethkar seems to be more influenced by Chinese and Ottoman culture, the technology level isn't really medieval they do have fairly advanced technology in some areas it just relies on things unique to their world like stormlight  

38 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Rayse has not yet been described. 

As far as the design aesthetic... I don't know. I picture a mixture of different esthetics by culture. Primarily more ancient middle eastern than anything else. 

I get a bit of that feeling too, mostly from the descriptions of Parshendi.

31 minutes ago, Sine2001 said:

I don't think that a physical description of Odium has been given yet,  The general aesthetics are hard to place as there is influence from different cultures Alethkar seems to be more influenced by Chinese and Ottoman culture, the technology level isn't really medieval they do have fairly advanced technology in some areas it just relies on things unique to their world like stormlight  

Chinese and Ottoman Empire, huh? I’ve never thought of that. I’ll look into their architecture.

29 minutes ago, Belzedar said:

Rayse has not been described in the books so far. As far as I know, Brandon has not revealed anything about his appearance.

Roshar is much more alien than other worlds in the cosmere, so it's hard to pinpoint an Earth parallel. For a general aesthetic, I'd refer to the official illustrations. (They can all be found online.) Everything about Rosharan civilization has been influenced by the unique weirdness of their planet: highstorms, stormlight, shards, spren, and more. Unfortunately there is no simple analogy to explain Roshar. It is a world born of imagination, and only imagination can comprehend it.

I know it's weird at first, not knowing how to picture things. But the best thing to do is keep reading. Let Brandon paint you a picture with his (numerous) words.

Makes sense. I usually just have a “start point” for when I do fanart and then extrapolate based on how alien the world is. I know it’s unlikely to be totally accurate but I want to get as close as possible. 

Good news is that, judging from the replies here, Rayse is free to design however I wish at the moment.

Spoiler

Rayse has been described in Oathbringer as “old, with a wide, furrowed face and bone-white hair that swept back from his head as if blown by wind. Thick mustaches with a hint of black in them blended into a short white beard. He seemed to be Shin, judging by his skin and eyes, and he wore a golden crown in his powdery hair.

Oathbringer spoilers

On 11/25/2017 at 8:12 PM, Ookla the maladroit said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Rayse has been described in Oathbringer as “old, with a wide, furrowed face and bone-white hair that swept back from his head as if blown by wind. Thick mustaches with a hint of black in them blended into a short white beard. He seemed to be Shin, judging by his skin and eyes, and he wore a golden crown in his powdery hair.

Oathbringer spoilers

Wow. I pictured him looking like this sans mustache. Unexpected but still cool. Thanks. There’s no specific clothing he wears, is there?