• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WoR

Spoiler

Kaladin's third ideal.

Final Empire

Spoiler

When Vin kill The Lord Ruler with a spear

“I bring you a message from a friend of ours,” she said quietly. “He wanted you to know that he’s not dead. He can’t be killed.
“He is hope.”

I cry everytime I read it.

Warbreaker

Spoiler

Lightsong realizing he is a god.

My personal favorites are either WoR

Spoiler

“Honor is dead. But I'll see what I can do.”

and

“What are you doing here, bridgeboy?” Adolin hissed from within his helmet.
“Playing one of the ten fools.”
Adolin grunted. “Welcome to the party.”

or in WoK

Spoiler

Dalinar stood in place. He looked confident, though Kaladin saw no reason why. And another promise dies, Kaladin thought, turning away. In the end, for all his good intentions, this Dalinar Kholin was the same as the others.

Behind Kaladin, men gasped in surprise.

Kaladin froze, then spun around. Dalinar Kholin had summoned his massive Shardblade; it dripped beads of water from having just been summoned. His armor steamed faintly, Stormlight rising from the cracks.

Sadeas stumbled back, eyes wide. His honor guard drew their swords. Adolin Kholin reached his hand to the side, apparently beginning to summon his own weapon.

Dalinar took one step forward, then drove his Blade point-first into the middle of the blackened glyph on the stone. He took a step back. “For the bridgemen,” he said.

Edited by Drag0nR3born

Spoiler

Kell fooling the Ire. That entire sequence is still making me laugh.

Also from SH:

Spoiler

Kell briefly freeing Marsh, knowing his brother will remove Vin’s spike. And then seeing Vin’s Ascension. Made even better because Kell knows Ruin is going to kill him for this. (Fortunately Ruin got distracted.)

From BoM: 

The scene where Allik discusses the Bands of Mourning because that was when I knew who the Sovereign was. 

Steris’ ‘framed for murder!’ line.

Wax talking with Harmony.

Wax and Steris FINALLY getting married!

The coppermind.

Various Mistborn:

’They say I will hold the future of the entire world on my arms.’ Rereading This always gives me chills.

Pairs nicely with: ‘I am, unfortunately, the Hero of Ages.’

Spook stopping his tin and running through a fire. 

Kell’s ‘I am hope.’

Marsh’s reveal in TFE and 

Spoiler

removing Vin’s earring in HoA.

Elend’s sacrifice.

Spoiler

Sazed putting it all together and saving Scadrial.

Tindwyl’s lessons.

TenSoon’s escape.

I'd second a bunch mentioned here but here are a few underappreciated ones in my opinion:

Words of Radiance:

Spoiler

Kal hands Shen/Rlain the spear

Well of Ascension

Spoiler

Vin empathises with TenSoon and talks about how they are tools that are feared

The Final Empire

Spoiler

Vin calls out Kelsier for his fanaticism against nobles and for presuming he knows what it is like to be a common Skaa 

7 hours ago, Drag0nR3born said:

My personal favorites are either WoR

Hide contents

“Honor is dead. But I'll see what I can do.”

and

“What are you doing here, bridgeboy?” Adolin hissed from within his helmet.
“Playing one of the ten fools.”
Adolin grunted. “Welcome to the party.”

or in WoK

Hide contents

Dalinar stood in place. He looked confident, though Kaladin saw no reason why. And another promise dies, Kaladin thought, turning away. In the end, for all his good intentions, this Dalinar Kholin was the same as the others.

Behind Kaladin, men gasped in surprise.

Kaladin froze, then spun around. Dalinar Kholin had summoned his massive Shardblade; it dripped beads of water from having just been summoned. His armor steamed faintly, Stormlight rising from the cracks.

Sadeas stumbled back, eyes wide. His honor guard drew their swords. Adolin Kholin reached his hand to the side, apparently beginning to summon his own weapon.

Dalinar took one step forward, then drove his Blade point-first into the middle of the blackened glyph on the stone. He took a step back. “For the bridgemen,” he said.

The latter I adore, because it may well have been the ONLY thing to give Kaladin some faith in people again, the perfect mirror of what happened with Amaram

• 2 weeks later...

I've been re-reading Arcanum Unbounded recently and was reminded of this scene from Secret History:

I had really enjoyed this scene in Hero of Ages, but I think I actually like it even better from the Secret History perspective:

Secret History:

“Spook,” Kelsier whispered, touching Spook's soul with his own again. He choked on the words, but forced them out. “Spook, the city is burning.” Spook trembled. “Thousands will die in the flames,” Kelsier whispered. He touched the boy's cheek. “Spook, child. You want to be like me? Really like me? Then fight when you are beaten!” Kelsier looked up at the spiraling, churning form of Ruin, angered. More of Ruin's attention was focusing in this direction. It would soon rebuff Kelsier. Beating it here was only a small victory, but it was proof. This thing could be resisted. Spook had done it. And would do it again. Kelsier looked down at the child in his arms. No, not a child any longer. He opened himself to Spook, and spoke a single, all powerful command. "Survive!"

Edited by The Sovereign
Formatting.

One of my favorite action sequences of all times from WoK:

Spoiler

When Kaladin fights Heleran, specifically this part:

Kaladin charged forward again. The Shardbearer swung his Blade out in the same wide sweep he'd used to kill so many of Kaladin's men. Kaladin threw himself downward, skidding on his knees and bending backward. The Shardblade flashed above him, shearing the top of his spear free. The tip flipped up into the air, tumbling end over end.

Kaladin strained, hurling himself back onto his feet, he whipped his hand up, flinging his knife at the eyes of watching from behind the impervious armor. The dagger hit the faceplate just slightly off from the right angle, bouncing against the sides of the slit and richocheting out.

The Shardbeared cursed, swinging his huge Blade back at Kaladin.

Kaladin landed on his feet, momentum still propelling him forward. Something flashed in the air beside him, falling toward the ground.

The spearhead.

Kaladin bellowed in defiance, spinning, snatching the spearhead from the air. It had been falling tip-down, and he caught it by the four inches of haft that remained, gripping it with his thumb on the stump, the sharp point extending down beneath his hand. The Shardbearer brought his weapon around as Kaladin skidded to a stop and flung his arm to the side, slamming the spearhead right into the Shardbearer's visor slit.

The fluidity of the action in this scene is just so amazing! How kaladin slides JUST under the shardblade, throws his side knife while he is springing back up from the slide, missing and as Heleran starts to take another swing at him, he catches the spear tip and slams it into the visor slit. This is one of those scenes that plays out so perfectly mentally, that it turns your brain into a movie theater.

I agree with everyone else about LightSong's moment in Warbreaker, chokes me up just thinking about it.

My favorite book of All times, OathBringer, also had two of my favorite scenes of All times:

Spoiler

The whole The Girl Who Looked Up arc concluded with The Girl Who Stood Up, here are my favorite parts:

"The girl finds steps," Shallan said. "And the girl realizes that the wall wasn't to keep something in, but to keep her and her people out."
"Because?"
"Because we're the monsters."

Wit stepped over to Shallan, then quietly folded his arms around her. She trembled, then twisted, burying her face in his shirt.
"You're not a monster, Shallan," Wit whispered. "Oh, child. The world is monstrous at times, and there are those who would have you believe that you are terrible by association.
"I am."
"No, for you see, it flows the other direction. You are not worse for your association with the world, but it's better for its association with you."

"The people suffered," Wit said, "but each storm brought light renewed, for it could never be put back, now that it had been taken. And people, for all their hardship, would never choose to go back. Not now that they could see."

"No," Wit said. He nodded toward the version of her still standing up. "You will, Shallan. If you do not trust yourself, can you trust me? For in you I see a woman more wonderful than any of the lies. I promise you, that woman is worth protecting. You are worth protecting."
She nodded toward the illusion of herself still standing. "I can't be her. She's just another fabrication."

Both illusions vanished. "I see only one woman here," Wit said, "And it's the one who is standing up. Shallan, that has always been you. You just have to admit it. Allow it." He whispered to her. "It's all right to hurt."

And the build up to  and the part where Jasnah Spares Renarin's life, here are my favorite parts of this arc:

Jasnah moved into the temple, gripping her Shardblade, stepping on slippered feet. The red spren rising from Renarin–like a snowflake made of crystal and light–seemed to sense her and panic disappearing into Renarin with a puff.
A spren is, Ivory said. The wrong spren is.
Renarin Kholin was a liar. He was no Truthwatcher.

That is a spren of Odium, Ivory said. Corrupted spren. But...a human bonded to one?  This thing is not.
"It is," Jasnah whispered. "Somehow."

She was now close enough to hear Renarin whispering. "No...Not Father. No, please..."

He knelt in the ancient temple of Plailia, and to his eyes it was full of colors. A thousand panes of stained glass sprouted on the walls, combining and melting together creating a panorama. He saw himself coming to Thaylen City earlier in the day. He saw Dalinar talking to the monarchs and then he saw them turning against him.
She will hurt us! She will hurt us!

"I know, Glys," he whispered, turning toward a specific section of the stained glass. This showed Renarin kneeling on the floor of the temple. In the sequence of the stained glass panels, Jasnah approached from behind, sword raised.
And then...she struck him down.

He wrenched his eyes away from the glass pane showing himself and Jasnah, turning toward one even worse. In it, his father knelt before a god of gold and white.
"No, Father," Renarin whispered. "Please. Not that. Don't do it..."
He will not be resisted, Glys said. My sorrow, Renarin. I will give you my sorrow.

THEN LATER

Jasnah raised her Blade over Renarin's head.
Make it quick. Make it painless.
Most threats to a dynasty come from within.
Renarin was obviously corrupted. She'd known where there was a problem the moment she'd read that he had predicted the Everstorm. Now Jasnah had to be strong. She had to do what was right, even when it was so, so hard.
She prepared to swing, but then Renarin turned and looked at her. Tears streaming down his face, he met her eyes, and he nodded.

Suddenly they were young again. He was a trembling child, weeping on her shoulder for a father who didn't seem to be able to feel love. Little Renarin, always so solemn. Always misunderstood, laughed at and condemned by people who said similar things about Jasnah behind her back.
Jasnah froze, as if standing at the edge of a cliff. Wind blew through the temple, carrying with it a pair of spren in the form of golden spheres, bobbing in the currents.

Jasnah dismissed her sword.
"Jasnah?" Ivory said, appearing back in the form of a man, clinging to her collar.
Jasnah fell to her knees, then pulled Renarin into an embrace. He broke down crying, like he had as a boy, burying his head in her shoulder.
"What's wrong with me?" Renarin asked. "Why do I see these things? I thought I was doing something right, with Glys, but somehow it's all wrong..."
"Hush," Jasnah whispered. "We'll find a way through it, Renarin. Whatever it is, we'll fix it. We'll survive this somehow."

"Jasnah," Ivory said, becoming full size as he stepped free of her collar. He leaned down. "Jasnah, this is right somehow. Somehow it is." He seemed completely stunned. "It is not what makes sense, yet it is still right. How. How is this thing?"
Renarin pulled back from her, his tearstained eyes going wide. "I saw you kill me."
"It's alright, Renarin. I'm not going to."
"But don't you see? Don't you understand what that means?"
Jasnah shook her head.
"Jasnah," Renarin said. "My vision was about you. What I see...it can be wrong."

This scene is so beautiful, and I think this is the real moment that allowed Dalinar to refuse Odium. Jasnah finds Renarin, fully intending to kill him, Renarin sees his future, and sees that Jasnah is going to kill him. But instead of trying to save himself, he spends his last moments weeping, worrying about his father. Jasnah hears him weeping for his father, sees him turn to her prepared to die, and this is what stays her hand more than anything. These bits are all interwoven with Dalinar's struggle with his Guilt and Odium's manipulations, but I think it's telling that after Jasnah decides not to kill Renarin that we see the first of the Glory spren arrive. I think this is key. This act of compassion is the lynch pin that stopped Odium's plan, and I wonder if these glory spren that Jasnah drew by following her heart and not cold logic, somehow helped Dalinar with his struggle (there is the point later where he finds that he has a glory spren in his hand).

Powerful stuff.

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

WoK

Spoiler

Jasnah: we didn't kill the voidbringers... thats not how it works with humans. We dont throw away what we can still use. We enslaved them...

*points at parshmen

WoR

Spoiler

Tyn reading the spanread and realising Shallan is really Shallan.

And Eshonai confronting her people afer having taken stormform.

Mistborn

Spoiler

Sazed reshaping the world.

Vin taking the well of ascension. "I am free!"

• Chaos locked this topic