Wit recognizing Shardblade vs Honorblade

Ward

Question

In the Epilogue to The Way of Kings I noticed that Wit refers to "Talenel's" (ugh. Brandon you cagey weasel) Blade as a Shardblade instead of an Honorblade.

"And then a bright, silvery blade rammed between the massive doors, slicing upward, cutting the bar that held them closed. A Shardblade."

Wouldn't Wit know that this was no mere Shardblade? Wouldn't he know it was an Honorblade?

11 answers to this question

Just to clear this up... 

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/2422-hal-con/?do=findComment&comment=44676

Lance Alvein (paraphrased)

Can you confirm if the scene with Taln at the end of Way of Kings is entirely in Hoid's perspective? There was some discussion that it might not be, since Taln's honorblade was called a shardblade.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

That entire scene is in Hoid's POV, and the reason for it being called a shardblade is because honorblades are shardblades.

6 minutes ago, Ward said:

In the Epilogue to The Way of Kings I noticed that Wit refers to "Talenel's" (ugh. Brandon you cagey weasel) Blade as a Shardblade instead of an Honorblade.

"And then a bright, silvery blade rammed between the massive doors, slicing upward, cutting the bar that held them closed. A Shardblade."

Wouldn't Wit know that this was no mere Shardblade? Wouldn't he know it was an Honorblade?

I thought that was from a disembodied 3rd-person perspective, instead of Wit's own.  

2 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

I thought that was from a disembodied 3rd-person perspective, instead of Wit's own.  

I had thought that too, but upon review...

That crazy man happened to have blue eyes, which let him get away with all kinds of trouble. Perhaps Wit should have been bemused by the stock these people put in something as simple as eye color, but he had been many places and seen many methods of rule. This didn’t seem any more ridiculous than most others. And, of course, there was a reason the people did what they did. Well, there was usually a reason. In this case, it just happened to be a good one.

Hrm.  I guess Wit's only excuse is that he didn't know it was an Honorblade when all he saw was the tip.  Of course, he connected the dots once he saw Taln, but until that point he didn't want to assume.  (He generally doesn't, unless it's funny or he wants to provoke a reaction)

WAS it an Honorblade, though? (dun dun duuuun)

Yes I realize there would be no reason to swap blade for blade if you didn't think you were getting something out of the deal.
But, even if Hoid can tell the difference (which seems likely but not certain), I doubt anyone else can on sight.

Seems entirely plausible to me that someone might believe it was Taln and make the swap assuming they were getting an Honorblade.

I postulate to you that perhaps we can trust Hoids analysis better than our own in this case.

-edit-
I think there's a WoB wherre he says that the blade Dalinar drops at the end of WoR "is not the Honorblade", but I think this might be a case like sometimes happens with "Taln" where he just didn't bother to say "the sword we think is an Honorblade"

Edited by Wreith

1 minute ago, Rider of Storms said:

Brandon has said that Honorblade counts as a Shardblade in basic terminology.

This is true, but in the spirit of the question, I would have expected Hoid to use the strictly proper term in his internal processing of the scene if it was an Honorblade and he was aware of that fact.

45 minutes ago, Wreith said:

This is true, but in the spirit of the question, I would have expected Hoid to use the strictly proper term in his internal processing of the scene if it was an Honorblade and he was aware of that fact.

Unfortunately, Wreith, your first and greatest mistake was expecting Hoid to do anything. Everyone knows that he can be expected to be unexpected. Except, of course, when he isn’t unexpected, which in and of itself is unexpected. :P

We know that the blade Taln was carrying at that point was an honorblade because of how it behaved when he fainted; a shardblade would vanish at that point while an honorblade would not. That Hoid calls what Taln was carrying a shardblade just means that from Hoid's perspective, it was one. Just like Nightblood could be called a shardblade even though it was made using an entirely different magic system. Basically, all honorblades are shardblades but not all shardblades are honorblades. Think of it from Hoid's much bigger perspective and you can see why he'd think that way.

It's literally just a terminology thing because Hoid is exactly 475.1 times smarter than we are. I know, I took measurements. :D

On 11/3/2017 at 2:36 PM, Wreith said:

I think there's a WoB where he says that the blade Dalinar drops at the end of WoR "is not the Honorblade", but I think this might be a case like sometimes happens with "Taln" where he just didn't bother to say "the sword we think is an Honorblade"

Brandon did mention that those blades were two different swords(twice).

Interview: Oct 9th, 2015
Shadows of Self-San Jose

Question

Why does Taln’s Honorblade scream for Dalinar?

Brandon Sanderson

Check out the descriptions of the swords in book 1 and book 2. The hint is they’re not the same sword.

Interview: Oct 12th, 2015
Shadows of Self-Oak Brook, IL

Question

If the spren that bond people scream when they touch a Shardblade, but then at the end of Words of Radiance Kaladin holds Szeth's honorblade and they do not have a problem with that, why does the Stormfather force Dalinar to get rid of his Honorblade at the end of Words of Radiance?

Brandon Sanderson

So... He does not have an Honorblade at the end of Words of Radiance.

Question

He does not. Oh, I thought he got it from... [Taln]

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, that's what the assumption is. If you look very closely, the blade that you think he ends up with is described differently from the one that he actually does.

Simply as other said, Rosharan's terminlogy is a bit wrong.

Honorblades, Nightblood and Radiants' Blades are all' Shardblades in Cosmere's terminology. And It's possibile there are other objects in other Shardworlds that could be count as such. For example on Scadrial we have an iterm starting to ho near to the Shardblade's tier.

It's the reason here on the 17s we started to call them Sprenblade and Dead Sprenblade to make a distinction as Shardblade is too general as category