Amaram Fan Club

OB (and general SA) Spoilers:

Spoiler

I'm glad Amaram is dead. He makes crem seem respectable! Instead of following the long-held traditions of Shards going to the person who killed the Bearer (ie Kaladin, who then gave them to one of his soldiers), Amaram murdered some of his own soldiers and branded one of his best spearmen a slave. This after that same Stormblessed spearman saved Amaram's life. Don't forget, Dalinar was willing to give Amaram the benefit of the doubt, even appointing him head of the KR, but that eel proved his untrustworthiness. It would take a LOT of convincing to get me to even remotely approve of Amaram.

On 2018-07-23 at 2:39 AM, Silva said:

But if one were told Hitler or Stalin questioned themselves, would that make what they did okay?

Nope. And I have never said that what Amaram did is okay. I have said that his actions are understandable considering his circumstances, and that I don’t consider him evil or a piece of crem.

On 7/22/2018 at 8:39 PM, Silva said:

But if one were told Hitler or Stalin questioned themselves, would that make what they did okay?

21 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Nope. And I have never said that what Amaram did is okay. I have said that his actions are understandable considering his circumstances, and that I don’t consider him evil or a piece of crem.

I think that Amaram is slightly evil, but not pure evil like we like to think of people.  We like to think of people as either good or evil, but people are so much more complicated than that.  As far as Hitler or Stalin goes, I would say they are without a doubt evil people, but again they aren’t pure evil.  There was some good in them, even if it was so minor that it really doesn’t matter when we judge their character.  For instance Hitler loved animals and children (at least Aryan children).  I would say that both of those are good qualities, but at the same time I don’t really care.  Hitler is an evil person and his good attributes don’t change that.  Also in reference to the Cosmere, Hitler saw himself as truly helping Germany.  Helping Germany is a good goal, so I don’t think that end goals inherently make a person good or evil, but they certainly can help.  I actaully bring this up not for Amaram, but for Mr. T, who I think is much more evil than Amaram. Sorry this is me just kinda rambling.  I hope it makes sense.

I think it’s okay to like Amaram.  

Spoiler

He’s a facinating character, who deserved a better ending than the one he got.

I think it’s okay to like villians.  I love Denth and think that even though he is evil he deserves all the love.

Edited by Aurora the Rioter
spolier tag

• 3 months later...

I think Amaram and Sadeas are interesting characters, and I kind of wish they had stuck around for that purpose. But narrative-wise, because I love it when our heroes succeed, I'm all too happy those two gone. They are far too dangerous.

As for a character judgement of Amaram personally, I have no sympathy for him. His worldview is oriented around keeping the world from falling apart, which, true, is better than Sadeas' goal of conquest, but I disagree with the notion that Amaram cares about people. Remember, this is the man that had no problem with having messenger boys join the normal soldiers to be used as bait. Can you imagine any other character who really cares about people being okay with that? I could see Dalinar possibly executing any of his officers that pulled something like that. And not to mention that this is essentially the same thing as Sadeas' use of the bridgemen back in WoK.

In my mind, the only difference between Sadeas and Amaram is that Sadeas wanted power out of a naked desire to rule, and Amaram wanted power in order to preserve some stability in the world. As such, he felt that he could be more effective if he did his best to keep his name clean.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...