[OB] Urithiru depiction

Extesian

I just saw this on reddit.

Ra0efMD.thumb.jpg.ae0ec07fa883cdc1fb89e279ac64c96b.jpg

Yes it is the tower of babel. Yes that is A DRAGON. Yes people seem to be coming through a perpendicularity. Yes it gives the location of each oathgate. Yes it's modern kingdoms. Yes I'm excited. 

Enjoy! Discuss!

(And I apologize if someone already posted this)

Edited by Extesian

Nice!

Cities with Oathgates in parentheses.  But only nine.  Missing the one in Shinovar?

Names are relatively modern.  Shattered plains is obviously post-shattering. 

People at bottom seem to be one each of racial types.

Shallan once looked at a similarly distorted map.  Is this similar or did Nazh steal it from the bottom of the ocean?

Edited by hoser

Peter replied that the "handwritten" text was added recently by Nazh but the image itself is much older obviously.

Those weird glyphs around the map are awfully suspicious, I wonder what they mean.

It looks like  the people coming out of the perpendicularity are following a bunch od windspren.

12 minutes ago, SilverTiger said:

That does not look like a lion. Very interesting as a whole, though. Is this some inside artwork from OB?

It made me think of medieval depictions of lions, drawn by people who only had the animals described to them.

2 hours ago, hoser said:

Mink and big chicken

Hoid did have a correspondance with a suspected dragon Shard.  I don't have an association for the big mink, though.

Well, symbolic lion for courage?

and also, I thought Frost wasn't a shard, weren't all the people involved in the shattering human?

5 hours ago, Extesian said:

I just saw this on reddit.

Ra0efMD.thumb.jpg.ae0ec07fa883cdc1fb89e279ac64c96b.jpg

Yes it is the tower of babel. Yes that is A DRAGON. Yes people seem to be coming through a perpendicularity. Yes it gives the location of each oathgate. Yes it's modern kingdoms. Yes I'm excited. 

Enjoy! Discuss!

(And I apologize if someone already posted this)

fyi Peter states in the Reddit thread that the writing on the map is by Nazh.

Just in case anyone was curious why the old Silver Kingdoms had modern names on them such as calling Natanatan the "Shattered Plains (Narak)" when both of those names would be anachronistic.

I think the people on the bottom are refuges fleeing the cataclysm on Ashyn.  It could certainly be a different group though, Roshar seems to have a lot of waves of settlers/refugees.

Hmmm... yes, a lion (from medieval heraldry) could represent honor, although it is more connected to courage and valor. The dragon could be Odium, since there is a lot of stuff about dragons are representative of evil/sin/paganism in, again, medieval times (St. George and the dragon, anyone?). The lion and the dragon are opposite each other, mouths open, teeth visible, and not looking too friendly- Honor and Odium fighting. The use of a serpentine dragon is confusing though, given the medieval theme. Of course, I might be reading too much into it, or am completely off the mark here.

33 minutes ago, Blacksmithki said:

Well, symbolic lion for courage?

and also, I thought Frost wasn't a shard, weren't all the people involved in the shattering human?

I thought the dragon that Hoid was corresponding with was a Shard, but it's been a while and maybe I made it up.  According to the quote below, there is a non-human Shard.

Interview: Nov 29th, 2016

Question

Was Bavadin nonhuman?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO. There is at least one Shard who wasn't human, but I'm not ready to reveal who was or wasn't just yet.

I don't believe the image on the bottom is depicting worldhopping through a perpendicularity. The midair gateway is much more reminiscent to me of when we saw Jasnah escape from Shadesmar at the end of WoR, so I think it's depicting an Elsecaller using the Surge of Transportation.

Either that, or Wheel of Time really is Cosmere.

1 minute ago, Pagerunner said:

I don't believe the image on the bottom is depicting worldhopping through a perpendicularity. The midair gateway is much more reminiscent to me of when we saw Jasnah escape from Shadesmar at the end of WoR, so I think it's depicting an Elsecaller using the Surge of Transportation.

Either that, or Wheel of Time really is Cosmere.

Agreed Page, but that's what Elsecalling is. I didn't mean shardpool on this occasion

Yeah, Perpendicularities can be created. You'd need a lot of Investiture, right? You'd need a tonof Investiture. But, basically what Jasnah does is create a little mini Perpendicularity, right? And slips herself into the Cognitive Realm.

21 minutes ago, SilverTiger said:

Hmmm... yes, a lion (from medieval heraldry) could represent honor, although it is more connected to courage and valor. The dragon could be Odium, since there is a lot of stuff about dragons are representative of evil/sin/paganism in, again, medieval times (St. George and the dragon, anyone?). The lion and the dragon are opposite each other, mouths open, teeth visible, and not looking too friendly- Honor and Odium fighting. The use of a serpentine dragon is confusing though, given the medieval theme. Of course, I might be reading too much into it, or am completely off the mark here.

Since Roshar has more of an Asian-theme I would expect dragons to be viewed more positively than in the Christian world.

Could it be a representation of the expulsion from the Tranquiline Halls? And maybe the spren are Dawnsingers?

Alternatively, this "portal" could just be an ignorant artist's rendition of an Oathgate.

And since no one else has said it yet: Heralds? From right to left: Jezrien, Shalash, Nalan, Chana, Kalak, Ishar, Vedel. Yes? No? Maybe?

3 minutes ago, Belzedar said:

Could it be a representation of the expulsion from the Tranquiline Halls? And maybe the spren are Dawnsingers?

Alternatively, this "portal" could just be an ignorant artist's rendition of an Oathgate.

And since no one else has said it yet: Heralds? From right to left: Jezrien, Shalash, Nalan, Chana, Kalak, Ishar, Vedel. Yes? No? Maybe?

Yeah I could see it as a representation of Oathgate travel except it really seems like Shadesmar. I thought the exact same thing about the Heralds wish there were 10 people! 

1 hour ago, SilverTiger said:

Um, Roshar doesn't have dragons. Just greatshells. But there are dragons on Yolen, and the Dragonsteel chapters indicate that they are regarded as legends. And they are associated with demons, so they might not be very well-regarded either.

Huh, I always thought of the larkins as being little stormlight dragons.

45 minutes ago, Belzedar said:

Could ...

Maybe Heralds, but I would expect them to seem more powerful.  The bottom one of the three on the left seems blue, so maybe from Natanatan?  There is a diversity of racial types, but none seem clearly to have golden hair (Iri), diminutive stature (Shin) or epicanthic folds (Alethi, Veden) (maybe the middle one on the left). 

Edited by hoser

I love this style of art. I wonder what the straight blue lines in the bottom right corner represent. It looks like the blue spren are coming from it. We have stone, grass, fire, vines, and clouds. Maybe the straight lines are rain?

I don't imagine Urithiru looking like that at all. I imagine it being more natural and mountain-like with a wide base. Maybe the artist has never seen it, and it's all imagination. They did get the 10 levels correct.

I also doubt they've seen a lion or dragon. Perhaps tales of mythological (or real) creatures from other worlds have found their way to Roshar.