Clod confusion

Julio

I was just reading the annotations for Warbreaker, and came across a really confusing paragraph. 

Lightsong Thinks about How Hallandren Wouldn’t Fall

He’s wrong here. If he hadn’t intervened and taken responsibility, the God King would have died, and another Manywar would have begun. It would have ended with Hallandren in flames, destroyed by the advancing Idrian coalition, who by then would have gained the secret to creating swords like Nightblood from Yesteel, who is hiding in one of the kingdoms across the mountains and who secretly knows what Vasher did to create the sword. He would have brought his kingdom into the conflict. And the world would have burned.

Isn't Clod Yesteel? If so, how is he hiding anywhere?! Or did Sanderson just make a mistake in his annotation here? And, if so, was Lightsong right?

7 hours ago, Julio said:

Oh, thanks. Sorry for asking such a stupid question...

Well Arsteel and Yesteel are brothers therefore your answer was still in the family ;-)

Seriously, in the book is never explicity stated so it's possible to miss or be misguided in Clod's Identity

Edited by Yata

I never see any perfect connection, but I strongly believe myself that Arsteel is Clod as well.. one of the 5 Scholars one of the best swordsman, and a Lifeless who shows glimmers of something beyond other lifeless, and who is a better warrior than any who are on the battlefields currently. They did indeed pay a high price for that lifeless.. The cost of a dear friend. In my opinion. Still could have just been a brute named Clod who was an exceptional fighter, but I'm pretty set on him being Arsteel..

Clod being Arsteel is also in the annotations.

Clod the Lifeless

Yes, Clod is Arsteel, in case you were wondering. After Vasher killed him, Denth’s team decided to have him made into a Lifeless. Partially because Denth was curious if it was possible, and partially because Arsteel was such a capable warrior that they knew he’d make for an excellently skilled Lifeless. It isn’t as good as having Arsteel himself, of course, but Clod is probably the greatest Lifeless swordfighter in existence right now in the entire world.

An interesting point the original question unintentionally raises is 'how does Yesteel know the secret of creating new weapons like Nightblood'? We know that Vasher and Shashara were the ones to discover the trick and Shashara's death was intended to prevent anyone else from learning how it was done. Yesteel's known to be doing further BioChroma research (he originally developed ichor-alcohol for Lifeless and apparently has come up with a newer version) but for him to learn how to make Type Four entities suggests that he's not only done even more advanced research but has a huge stock of Breath available to him with which to do it, since it's only at the Ninth Heightening that the ability to Awaken stone and metal is gained, per our understanding. That's gonna be an interesting thing to see in the eventual sequel.

Edited by Weltall

11 hours ago, Weltall said:

Clod being Arsteel is also in the annotations.

An interesting point the original question unintentionally raises is 'how does Yesteel know the secret of creating new weapons like Nightblood'? We know that Vasher and Shashara were the ones to discover the trick and Shashara's death was intended to prevent anyone else from learning how it was done. Yesteel's known to be doing further BioChroma research (he originally developed ichor-alcohol for Lifeless and apparently has come up with a newer version) but for him to learn how to make Type Four entities suggests that he's not only done even more advanced research but has a huge stock of Breath available to him with which to do it, since it's only at the Ninth Heightening that the ability to Awaken stone and metal is gained, per our understanding. That's gonna be an interesting thing to see in the eventual sequel.

The annotation makes it sound more like he found out Vasher's method, not that he independently researched it as well. I bet that he learned it from Shashara, either directly or indirectly. He sounds like he's pretty research-oriented as well, so she may have exchanged notes with him and Vasher wasn't aware.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:41 PM, Spoolofwhool said:

The annotation makes it sound more like he found out Vasher's method, not that he independently researched it as well. I bet that he learned it from Shashara, either directly or indirectly. He sounds like he's pretty research-oriented as well, so she may have exchanged notes with him and Vasher wasn't aware.

My guess is that he recently found notes that Shashara had left.  This would explain why he hasn't done anything with the knowledge in all of the time since Nightblood was created.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 2:59 PM, Master Knapper said:

My guess is that he recently found notes that Shashara had left.  This would explain why he hasn't done anything with the knowledge in all of the time since Nightblood was created.

He could also have been busy amassing the approximately TWENTY THOUSAND BREATHS needed to reach the Ninth Heightening.

• 1 month later...
  • Chaos locked this topic