Has anyone ever noticed that Rosharan years are 500 days? I'm sure you have, so that brings up the question, how long do these storming people live? Kaladin is somewhere around 20 in TWoK and WoR. In earth years, that's approximately 27.4 years. What does this mean? Are days shorter on Roshar, compensating for the extra days? Or do people live much longer? If the life expectancy on Roshar is around what it is on earth, (let's say 80 years) Rosharan people would live to be 109.6 years old. That's an extra 30 years or life! Any ideas?

23 minutes ago, Shqueeves said:

Days are shorter in Roshar, though I'm not entirely sure by how much. Relative to Roshar, kaladin is ~20 years old and relative to us/Yolen, he is closer to ~22 

If I've done my calculations right, a day on Roshar must be about 19.3 hours long. Thanks, Shqueeves!

20 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

From the Coppermind: "Although the Rosharan year is 500 days long, these days are shorter than on Earth and a Rosharan year is equivalent to 1.1 Earth years.[5][6]"

Yep, the math holds up, a Rosharan day is 19.3 hours. 

That still leaves another question, how long do you think the life expectancy on Roshar is?

5 minutes ago, MasterJack said:

That still leaves another question, how long do you think the life expectancy on Roshar is?

For a regular person? I'd guess it is roughly the same as current earth humans in good conditions ~ 70-80 earth years or 64 - 73 Rosharan years.

The excessive Stormlight (investiture) on Roshar helps make the people disease resistant, they have a knowledge of hygiene and, for their time, advanced medicine/surgical practices thanks to the teachings of the Heralds. While it might be slightly lower due to "harsher" conditions than us modern 1st world folk are used to I doubt it would be significantly lower. 

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Pretty short, considering that the apocalypse has arrived.

But these are the people who live through ultra-hurricanes practically every week. The apocalypse probably won't increase the death toll until later

The Roshar year is 1.1 earth years, 500 Roshar days, and roughly 400 earth days

The Roshar day is 20 Roshar hours, and roughly 19 earth hours

The Roshar hour is roughly 58 earth minutes

We have WoB that hours are slightly shorter and the math checks out the rest

Edited by 17th Splinter

4 hours ago, Vortaan said:

Isn't Roshar supposed to have slightly lower gravity than Earth too? Not sure how that affects lifespans but it probably does one way or the other.

Lower gravity (.7g), and a higher oxygen content to the atmosphere. 

5 hours ago, Vortaan said:

Isn't Roshar supposed to have slightly lower gravity than Earth too? Not sure how that affects lifespans but it probably does one way or the other.

I think it would help, I'm no doctor, but less stress on the feet,knees, hips, and back combined with high oxygen seems like it would be healthier.

I was thinking that more oxygen and less gravity would contribute to a longer life since they don’t have to do as much work (kilogram-meters; what’s the mass-length measure on Roshar?) and thus cells don’t do as much stuff, thus not needing to divide as much, thus maintaining longer telomere length. Also, ambient Investiture that usually decreases illness (per a WOB about the Purelake plague) probably heals a tiny little too, decreasing need for cellular division to heal abrasions.

Anyone who lives on Roshar will live longer than on other planets, but I think the Rosharan spiritweb contributes about 50% of the longer living. So Scadrians would have to burn pewter a few minutes once every day (while also living on Roshar) to get the same life extension.

Or maybe I’m going about this all wrong, and native Rosharans have pDNA with longer telomeres than the average Cosmere humanoid.

13 hours ago, Yata said:

Mainly the Roshar's lifespan would be improved by the healtier envirorment thanks to the Stormlight. I am not sure the lower gravity will affect them too much as they are already designed to live with that gravity

Normal people don't have access to Stormlight. Do you mean the  added benefits of fabrials? A Radiant would possibly live much longer, but a normal person, without access to Stormlight, in an era when there were no Truthwatchers or Edgedancers, or regrowth fabrials, would live a bit longer from higher oxygen and less gravity. 

3 hours ago, thejopen27 said:

Normal people don't have access to Stormlight. Do you mean the  added benefits of fabrials? A Radiant would possibly live much longer, but a normal person, without access to Stormlight, in an era when there were no Truthwatchers or Edgedancers, or regrowth fabrials, would live a bit longer from higher oxygen and less gravity. 

No I means directly the Stormlight.

We don't know exactly how, but It seems everyone assimilate tiny bit of Stormlight during their Life.

By the way, also the plants absorb Stormlight so the people usually eat food Influenced by Investiture rather than assimilate themself

The higher oxygen content is actually detrimental to an extent. 

Our bodies need oxygen to function, and higher oxygen levels, especially when combined with the lower gravity, would make feats of strength and physical exertion much easier. 

Aging though, is a result of stress on the cells, and oxidation. The higher oxygen content would speed cell oxidation and accelerate aging. 

I have to agree with Yata, and think that ambient investiture is playing a role. 

Edited by Calderis

• Chaos locked this topic