Mistborn is ruining my life

Xero stormz

I'm only half way through the Well of Ascension but people have been warning me that I'll need a tissue box for the end of The Hero of Ages. 

Brandon has indeed changed my mind to focus on reading all of the possible books he has because he is such a good author. It all started with Steelheart, then I read The Rithmatist and went to Mistborn from there.

Whenever I start a new series of his, I'm always a little unsure because the back descriptions never exactly speak to me. I have to read the first few chapters but I will forever always expect and quick beginning that will snap my attention to the book. 

So this might mess with my view on other books because I'll most likely always expect to be snapped right into it within the first five chapters.

Edited by Why_Do_You_Do_This_To_Me
Autocorrect

On 29/10/2017 at 4:22 PM, Why_Do_You_Do_This_To_Me said:

I'm only half way through the Well of Ascension but people have been warning me that I'll need a tissue box for the end of The Hero of Ages. 

Brandon has indeed changed my mind to focus on reading all of the possible books he has because he is such a good author. It all started with Steelheart, then I read The Rithmatist and went to Mistborn from there.

Whenever I start a new series of his, I'm always a little unsure because the back descriptions never exactly speak to me. I have to read the first few chapters but I will forever always expect and quick beginning that will snap my attention to the book. 

So this might mess with my view on other books because I'll most likely always expect to be snapped right into it within the first five chapters.

Most of the book descriptions of Brandon's books seem written by someone that has understood nothing of the story. Maybe because he doesn't write those, so there is an obvious quality difference. 

Stormlight archive is great when you get to it, but the Way of Kings requires some patience to get started. 

7 hours ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

Most of the book descriptions of Brandon's books seem written by someone that has understood nothing of the story. Maybe because he doesn't write those, so there is an obvious quality difference. 

Stormlight archive is great when you get to it, but the Way of Kings requires some patience to get started. 

Alright, thanks for heads up about Stormlight. I think that will be my next series after Mistborn, but Mistborn is pretty long so it'll be a while before I start Stormlight.

7 hours ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

The reason is that the book descriptions are made with marketing considerations in mind. They are supposed to entice a reader who knows nothing of the book into reading it. As such, they must be short, simple, and mysterious.

Brandon's stories are all but simple, and so a simple description will never really get the story. It is figured that a longer, more accurate description may either scare away potential readers, who will move on before reading all of it, or tell them too much of the story, so that they will not buy the book because they no longer feel the curiosity.

There is also the intentional process of catering to specific tastes of a specific niche of public; the same mistborn book can have a description putting emphasis on the heist to be marketed to fans of heist and spy stories, or description focusing on the dystopic nature of the final empire to cater to fans of dystopias, or it may focus on the figure of vin and her personal travel and be sold as a book for young adults. It actually happens that a publisher changes the end book description and sells the book in a different category.

On 10/29/2017 at 8:30 AM, Xero stormz said:

Has ANYONE else had this problem or am I just a nutcase ;)

I always tell people that Mistborn first taught me how to read, then it ruined reading anything else for me ever again.

I will say I was able to pick up Dresden files after snapping though. I like Jim Butcher a lot.

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak

On 29/10/2017 at 10:22 AM, Why_Do_You_Do_This_To_Me said:

Please reply or post your reaction to the end of HoA. It's truly a masterpiece

On 01/11/2017 at 11:18 AM, Why_Do_You_Do_This_To_Me said:

Alright, thanks for heads up about Stormlight. I think that will be my next series after Mistborn, but Mistborn is pretty long so it'll be a while before I start Stormlight.

I would suggest Warbreaker before Storm light since Warbreaker was written for the purpose of giving an element in stormlight a strong backstory and it's free to read too.

8 hours ago, Xero stormz said:

I would suggest Warbreaker before Storm light since Warbreaker was written for the purpose of giving an element in stormlight a strong backstory and it's free to read too.

Warbreaker is not a book? I'll look into it though, thanks for the suggestion -Wait it is a book, but it's off of Elantris, which I have not read. What does it have to do with Stormlight?-

Checked up on Warbreaker

9 hours ago, Xero stormz said:

No, its based off of Elantris, though it ended up on a different planet.

I have just finished reading The Well of Ascension and damnation! Didn't see that coming! 

I am upset to read that Marsh is having so many....problems...after all, he is the last living recognition of Kelsier. And Sazed loosing his faith like that, oof!

Yet, the story still continues in an exciting way and I can't wait to see how Elend fares to be an Allomancer!

Autocorrect BS

On 04/11/2017 at 2:21 PM, Why_Do_You_Do_This_To_Me said:

Warbreaker is not a book? I'll look into it though, thanks for the suggestion -Wait it is a book, but it's off of Elantris, which I have not read. What does it have to do with Stormlight?-

If we told you what it had to do with Stormlight it would be spoiling a part of it. Just trust us when we recommend that you read Warbreaker first - it makes Words of Radiance just that much better. You also don't need to read Elantris before it so don't worry about that.

This hasn't been the case with Mistborn. It's true that nothing has lived up to how awesome the ending of HoA is. It didn't ruin reading for me. I have faith that Stormlight will have just as amazing an ending. This did however occur with my love of anime. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was the last great anime I ever watched. Nothing else has even come close to how amazing that series was. I still have some favorites from when I was younger. Fullmetal Alchemist, Toradora!, Baccano! (I just realized I like anime with exclaimation points. LOL) But Gurren Lagann completely ruined anime for me. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished it myself and man, I don't know. I don't think my mind is made to the idea that is over. I mean, a LOT of things happened, I'm still processing the ending. I can say, however, that is one of the best I've ever seen/read, I just can't put it into words. 

Edited by Ookla the Priest

So far reading hasn’t been ruined for me.  I’m just preserving that experience while I continue to read Sanderson.  I have quite a few more books to read left.  Mistborn is the best there is.  I think it’s better than Stormlight, but that’s just me.  Stormlight is good, but . . . it’s not Mistborn.  (I’ll be honest I just love Elend and Vin. Okay I love other things about Mistborn as well.  But seriously those two are just too cute.)

• 8 months later...

I still very much enjoy reading but I try to stay away from fantasy that isn't written by Brandon Sanderson. Nothing can ever beat Mistborn for me. I recently read The Name of the Wind and hurled it against the wall because it was quiet possibly one of the worst books I've read all year. And I blame Sanderson. He made me expect too much. I think Mistborn was the perfect fantasy trilogy. I would go as far as saying that it could become a classic in the genre if more people appreciated it. 

8 hours ago, rioter10098 said:

I still very much enjoy reading but I try to stay away from fantasy that isn't written by Brandon Sanderson. Nothing can ever beat Mistborn for me. I recently read The Name of the Wind and hurled it against the wall because it was quiet possibly one of the worst books I've read all year. And I blame Sanderson. He made me expect too much. I think Mistborn was the perfect fantasy trilogy. I would go as far as saying that it could become a classic in the genre if more people appreciated it. 

This exactly. I always liked fantasy. But Brandon does it so well and exactly how i like fantasy that i only read his books of that genre. And there is a lot of them. He just stays away from all the tropes and isn't just copying Tolkin.

I say read a genre entirely unrelated to high fantasy or sifi. Maby a historical novel or a biography. You won't compare it to much and enjoy it.

I think the only other fantasy story i enjoy as much as the cosmere may be Avatar the last Airbender.

I also hated the name of the wind. But not because of the world building or anything. I just absolutely DESPISE the main character. His personality and how hes written. Just as much as his love interest or enemies. Through the entire book i kinda hoped he would die. But i knew he wouldn't because he tells the story.

10 hours ago, Shaukan-son-Hasweth said:

This exactly. I always liked fantasy. But Brandon does it so well and exactly how i like fantasy that i only read his books of that genre. And there is a lot of them. He just stays away from all the tropes and isn't just copying Tolkin.

I say read a genre entirely unrelated to high fantasy or sifi. Maby a historical novel or a biography. You won't compare it to much and enjoy it.

I think the only other fantasy story i enjoy as much as the cosmere may be Avatar the last Airbender.

I also hated the name of the wind. But not because of the world building or anything. I just absolutely DESPISE the main character. His personality and how hes written. Just as much as his love interest or enemies. Through the entire book i kinda hoped he would die. But i knew he wouldn't because he tells the story.

That's why I read more classics. They're classics for a reason and I am rarely disappointed. Can't say the same for fantasy books. I hated The Name of the Wind but apparently Brandon loved it? He gave it a great review but I doubt he's being honest. I watched some of his lectures on writing plots, fight scenes, romances, and good characters and he seems to have a criteria for fantasy books that The Name of the Wind doesn't fit at all. 

I was hoping the main character would die too. I was so happy when Elodin got Kvothe to jump off a roof. 

• Chaos locked this topic