• Stonewielser
    • OST
    • BoB
    • Assail
    • Dancers Lament
    • Deadhouse Landing
    • Kellanved's Reach

2 hours ago, officiumdefunctorum said:

I'm just looking forward to my second read of Midnight Tides to experience Tehol and Bug, again. They are too precious for words. Tehol is very probably my favorite character.

And @AngelEy3, I enjoy Malazan differently than my other favorite, The Wheel of Time. WoT feels very resolved, whereas I could spend days just coming up with more questions and wanting to know more about Malazan, the people, and the history.

Have you read any Willful Child? The best way I could explain it is if Tehol was captain of a starship. I think you might enjoy it. 

My plan has already failed. Lol, I forgot to bring Forge of Darkness with me to work tonight so I bought the ebook of GotM. I have a mmp version but it's currently with a friend. Also I decided I should throw Erikson some $. Up to this point I only had used copies of his books.

39 minutes ago, AngelEy3 said:

My plan has already failed. Lol, I forgot to bring Forge of Darkness with me to work tonight so I bought the ebook of GotM. I have a mmp version but it's currently with a friend. Also I decided I should throw Erikson some $. Up to this point I only had used copies of his books.

I’ve been looking forward to you doing FoD just to see if you had the same reaction I had to it. I really can’t say my thoughts cause it’s major spoiler territory but I had much frustration with it. There is a very interesting conversation in GotM between no spoilers just the characters having it

Tool and Lorn

that got my mind turning on reread though.

I'll end up switching over to FoD after GotM before I go to DG. I just needed something to read tonight at work after forgetting to bring it with me. 

50 pages into GotM and already I'm enjoying the heck out of knowing what is going on. 

Edited by AngelEy3

@officiumdefunctorum Yea it's almost like a cross between Star Trek fan fiction and satire with Tehol running the show. Definitely more of a comedy than a serious sci-fi story though.

I don't read much sci-fi and I find that to be rather interesting because all my favorite TV shows and movies are pretty thoroughly sci-fi. I think it's probably because there are many more sci-fi shows of a decent quality than there are fantasy. There's GoT and LOTR for supreme production quality, and then shows like The Seeker and Shannara Chronicles that leave you wondering why we can't have quality fantasy TV. Meanwhile sci-fi is fairly prevalent on the screen with high quality productions coming out of both TV and Hollywood. 

Edit: Fresh off of Deadhouse Landing and there's a lot of stuff already in GotM that isn't adding up. A lot of it having to do with Tattersail and her history on Malaz Island. 

Edited by AngelEy3
Double post avoidance

14 hours ago, officiumdefunctorum said:

@AngelEy3 I have trouble reading sci-fi, which makes no sense because I love Star Trek (TOS, Spock <3). I'll look it up. Maybe it will change my mind.

All this talk of Kharkanus and now I think I have to read it, considering my love for the Silmarillion.

It's like Bakker's Second Apocalypse series! Mwahaha!:ph34r:

4 hours ago, Ammanas said:

@officiumdefunctorum I think they made some bad choices with the narrators for the Kharkanus books (you might want to listen to a sample to see if you mind them or not), but if you love the Silmarillion and Bakker you will love the story I think.

I did very much enjoy the Silmarillion, Bakker, however, as @TheOrlionThatComesBefore has pointed out, did not impress me. I found the hyper-realism wearing on me, and the constant pall of betrayal and rape tedious in the extreme by the time I finished Second Apocalypse. Rant below.

Spoiler

I think it was the Tolkien-esque writing style that chafed more than anything--felt like he was trying to make a point for seven books and I was just like "YEAH OKAY I GET IT EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE AND oh right yes that horrific slaughter was missing a liberal dose of semen thanks for that".

I enjoy a good grimdark session, but Bakker may have created the most cheerless series I've ever experienced.

Honestly, though, I need more Silchas Ruin in my life. I'd suffer through it, for that.

28 minutes ago, officiumdefunctorum said:

@TheOrlionThatComesBefore

Reveal hidden contents

I think it was the Tolkien-esque writing style that chafed more than anything--felt like he was trying to make a point for seven books and I was just like "YEAH OKAY I GET IT EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE AND oh right yes that horrific slaughter was missing a liberal dose of semen thanks for that".

Honestly, though, I need more Silchas Ruin in my life. I'd suffer through it, for that.

Agreed on Silchas Ruin. I'm mostly looking forward to all the Anomander Rake that should be in Kharkanas, but I'll take whatever Soletaken Eleint I can get. I'll most likely move on to Kharkanas after GotM.

4 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

I really don't care much for Crokus... I find my eyes glazing over every time I have to hear him think. 

So I could be completely wrong about this theory, but I think the creation of Crokus was very much a product of the time in which he was writing. This book was published in '99 but written in '91 and the young roguish thief with a good heart was very much a staple of fantasy series written in the '80's.

8 hours ago, Ammanas said:

So I could be completely wrong about this theory, but I think the creation of Crokus was very much a product of the time in which he was writing. This book was published in '99 but written in '91 and the young roguish thief with a good heart was very much a staple of fantasy series written in the '80's.

A lot of the characters are rip-offs of classic fantasy characters. That's what you get when everything is based on some Dungeons & Dragons sessions. 

I think that Toll the Hounds has the most Tiste lore of the main series if memory serves. After finishing my big Esslemont read I am tempted to give Kharkanus another try. I also admit Fall of Light scares me a bit. The only malazan I needed to skim because I just wasnt prepared for it. Maybe a proper mindset will help me for my next try. Because it wasn't a in depth read I hardly remember any of Fall of Light.

Edited by Ammanas

Fall of Light is amazing but you should be scared.  It's definitely a book you want to take your time with and not rush.

And BK I don't think having 8 as a least favorite is a minority opinion.  8 is the most divisive where people either rank it at the top or bottom.  I know when it came out it had the most negative reactions, and people on the Malazan forum saw 9 as a return to form.  Now people on reddit have turned on 9 for some reason.

8 is my least favorite too.  Haven't gotten there on my reread yet.