• RotCG
    • Stonewielser
    • OST
    • BoB
    • Assail
    • Dancers Lament
    • Deadhouse Landing
    • Kellanved's Reach

So this was kind of fun; Steven Erikson shared the ancient word processor he used to write Deadhouse Gates and that led to me to ask something I had always wondered about.  Here is my question I asked him:

I heard somewhere that one of the reasons that you switched up locations is that Memories of Ice was supposed to be the second book, but there was a computer problem that destroyed all of the work you had put into it. You decided to switch things up by switching to a new location and write the book that would become Deadhouse Gates. Is that story true? If so, was the computer you shared the one that destroyed the original Memories of Ice?

Steven Erikson's reply:

That first version of Memories of Ice was written on a Brother WP500.  When it crashed the parent company told me that even they couldn't open the original floppy discs.  So then yes, I switched over to Deadhouse Gates and the rest is history. Also, it was only the first three hundred pages of MoI.

Edited by Ammanas

Although I love Memories of Ice it's not my favorite Erikson book (the controversial Midnight Tides is).

This may be, in part, because the mass market paperback edition of this book uses a font about half the size they use for the rest of the series and the two times I have read it have left me with a massive headache. Now that I just got a kindle paperwhite I plan on buying and reading the book soon and see if that changes anything.

5 hours ago, NamelessThirteenth said:

Ahhhh I finished Memories of Ice and I'm grieving...

After Memories of Ice is when I realized how amazing Malazan was/could be. Which is a good thing cause I really struggled with the first 1/4 of House of Chains. Turns out that was just me being dumb cause HoC is really good too. 

Witness! 

Is this a spoiler free thread? I've read all books except Korbal Borach series. 

So who's reading Paths to Ascendancy books? Deadhouse landing was just brilliant. Can't wait for the final book, 

Kharkanas was typical Erikson. lovely insight to some of the ascendants. Wish the final book would come out soon. 

Edited by TequilaJack

4 hours ago, TequilaJack said:

Is this a spoiler free thread? I've read all books except Korbal Borach series. 

So who's reading Paths to Ascendancy books? Deadhouse landing was just brilliant. Can't wait for the final book, 

I think this thread should be a spoiler tag free thread, but I still would put in spoiler tags just to be courteous to others and avoid any potential arguments. 

I think the Path to Ascendancy is Esslemonts best books and am planning a longer post soon that gives my feelings on his books with how I would rank them (currently just started my last Esslemont book which is Assail).

I heard that depending on how things go he may extend the Path to Ascendancy series out beyond the trilogy he signed for. Normally I would say this is a bad idea, but these books are so much fun and there are so many more stories he could tell during the time period he is currently in.

Regarding Kharkhanus, I dont know if you saw the first post on this thread, but major information concerning that.

Edited by Ammanas

3 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Regarding Kharkhanus, I dont know if you saw the first post on this thread, but major information concerning that.

Dang, say the picture and thought it was about FoL release. That's a bummer.

I really liked Kharkanas. The writing style was more morose and philosophical than usual (which is something to say for SE books!), but then the insights it gave into Rake/Brood friendship, other information on other ascendants like Errant, Triss, Draconus, Gothos, Hood etc were fascinating. I loved knowing more about those characters who feature in BotF, but not much know about them. I was really looking to the third book! Well, then it's Karsa's time in the sun, I guess.

3 hours ago, Ammanas said:

I think the Path to Ascendancy is Esslemonts best books and am planning a longer post soon that gives my feelings on his books with how I would rank them (currently just started my last Esslemont book which is Assail).

Would be brilliant to discuss. Perhaps in a new thread allowing spoilers.

I loved Assail. NoK remains my favourite of the novellas followed closed by RoTCG and then Assail. Enjoy reading!

Edited by TequilaJack

2 hours ago, TequilaJack said:

Would be brilliant to discuss. Perhaps in a new thread allowing spoilers

I think that I am the only other one to read Deadhouse Landing on the Shard. You can feel free to send me a private message if you want to discuss it. 

5 hours ago, NamelessThirteenth said:

True that...first I was sad coz there were no bridgeburners to be seen in the first part, but then Karsa provd himself in my eyes so I enjoyed it. Only notived it was a prologue halfway through though

Same deal here. Karsa is/was a major fricking jerk, but like you said, he proved himself in my eyes. He's one of my favorites by the end. WITNESS!!!

My Spoiler Free review of all eight Esslemont books:

It was a bit of a twisty path the lead me to completing all of his books. I had originally tried reading his books intermingled with Eriksons during my first malazan read, but I was overwhelmed with following Eriksons plots and keeping everything straight that I couldn't handle more plots and storylines that Esslemont threw at me. I also found Esslemonts writing to be dense and hard to concentrate on so I gave up after Stonewielder. 

I then gave the Path to Ascendancy novels a try and found, to my delight, that Esslemont had completely changed his prose with these new novels. The pages were almost thrumming with energy and enthusiasm that I immediately fell in love with. I decided to give his original six books another chance and after Return of the Crimson Guard I found, though improved from what I remember, something was missing. I switched to the audiobooks narrated by Banks and that made a huge difference and found he really makes the books come alive.

Even though there are several things that Erikson does better in the main ten book series here are two things that Esslemont does better than Erikson:

1. Whenever he wants to interject philosophy into the text it always feels appropriate.

2. I loved the greater range of locales/scenery. Everything from jungles to Ice wastes.

Some other great things from Esslemont is really filling in the gaps from Eriksons series, and great look into Segulah culture.

Here is my ranking of his books

1. Deadhouse Landing

2. Dancer's Lament

3. Orb, Sceptre, Throne

4. Stonewielder

5. Return of the Crimson Guard

6. Blood and Bone

7. Assail

8. Night of Knives