• RotCG
    • Stonewielser
    • OST
    • BoB
    • Assail
    • Dancers Lament
    • Deadhouse Landing
    • Kellanved's Reach

That's pretty cool, but I feel mixed about it. I am usually completely lost by a Erikson prologue and can only appreciate and understand them upon finishing the book. I would feel more excited by releasing chapter one, but these are first world problems haha. He is trying to make these books more accessible and commercial so perhaps the prologue will be a good measuring stick.

33 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

That's pretty cool, but I feel mixed about it. I am usually completely lost by a Erikson prologue and can only appreciate and understand them upon finishing the book. I would feel more excited by releasing chapter one, but these are first world problems haha. He is trying to make these books more accessible and commercial so perhaps the prologue will be a good measuring stick.

After reading his blog post about how book one is going to go, I'm hoping we'll maybe get a familiar point of view!

I am very much heartened and optimistic based upon the prologue. It was probably the most straightforward and easiest  (for the reader) that he has ever written. The writing reminds me a lot of House of Chains and it was nice to see more of the Teblor. I can tell he is making a effort to reign himself in (which is a good thing). 

@officiumdefunctorum I'm a big Dresden files fan and think Marsters does a amazing job with the audiobooks. Which one are you on? I think my favorite is either Dead Beat or Changes.

Also started listening to Kellanveds Reach today and about 2.5 hours into. A lot of fun so far! I had completely forgotten who Calot and Orjin Samarr were and had to look them up.

9 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

@officiumdefunctorum I'm a big Dresden files fan and think Marsters does a amazing job with the audiobooks. Which one are you on? I think my favorite is either Dead Beat or Changes.

Also started listening to Kellanveds Reach today and about 2.5 hours into. A lot of fun so far! I had completely forgotten who Calot and Orjin Samarr were and had to look them up.

I'm only on book two, as they're coming through my library and the waiting list is beastly. I am LOVING Marsters, though. A great fit for the first person narration.

And yeah, I don't remember who those people are by name.

1 hour ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

Got Kellanveds Reach yesterday from my local book shop as a book because I believe reading a book involves actually reading words *glares at heretics in thread*

Any hows, I think now is a good time to read Deadhouse Landing for the first time :P

FIGHT ME

(I'm always too tired to read actual books these days; I fall asleep.)

Finished! To better organize my thoughts how organize them in three categories. I'll try to remain somewhat vague.

What I liked:

Spoiler

I loved geeking out about seeing these characters when they were younger all the nods to events later on in their lives. I liked how it explained why Kellanved didn't utilize the Imass more. I also liked seeing the fractures within both the Crimson Guard and between the "Old Guard"; it helps explain so much.

What I didn't like:

Spoiler

I have been applauding the shift to these easier, breezier, and shorter malazan books, but perhaps this was too much of a good thing when you have something like 15 p.o.v's. If you are going to have that many shifts than I think it needs to be a 800 page book. I would of liked to see more of the story lines fleshed out. Also thought the naval invasion of Nappan was weak because Esslemont is one of the best fantasy writers of naval warfare. I get that it was a diversion...but still.

Miscellaneous:

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure the Wax-Witch mentioned was Rigga from Gardens of the Moon (who helped shield Apsalar from Cotillion "prod and pull"). I have to admit I never thought I'd see her again. There was a typo at one point in the book where Haraj was referred to as "Fingers" so that would mean the his companion will later become "Blues". Structurally this was Esslemonts weakest book, but entertainment wise this was my second favorite of the early empire books (behind Deadhouse Landing). Its easy to nitpick about small things but it really was a lot of fun which, when reading for pleasure, is all that really matters. Also Esslemont tries to fix some of the timeline issues with a explanation of date discrepancies. I must admit this issue is not something I've really given much attention too, but maybe of some interest to other fans.

• 2 weeks later...

Throughly gutted with a blown mind about Gene Wolfe dying.

i won’t repeat the story but it’s rather freaky. It’s in Reading thread. I am so sad. Been dreading that news for about 10 yrs now.

His work ain’t for everyone but if it was then you are feeling what I am feeling today.

Gene Wolf is one of those authors that I don't know if I'm smart enough to "get". I've tried Shadow and Claw, and The Wizard/Knight duology. Do you have any recommendations of a better starting point or any tips to approaching his works? 

In Malazan news I keep hearing in TV shows that "the universe is telling us..." I am waiting to hear that expression in real life so I can say, "The sea does not dream of you." Upvote to whoever can list both Malazan books where that phrase makes a appearance.

Edited by Ammanas

Hmm I can’t really help with tips on how to approach his works. They most certainly require way more focus then your average book and you definitely have to be in the mood to give him that focus. Hell the only tip I could say is to use his death as motivation to try either one again asap while his passing is fresh. If your not in the mood for the Sci Fi of New Sun or the Fantasy of Wizard then I’d say to try his Latro books has a feel of Historical Fiction(though it’s not that) with a main character that has amnesia in Ancient Greece that writes and reads his daily journal which may sound boring AF but is anything but that.

None of his books to me were any easier then the others to try, they all require that extra bit of focus devoted.

2 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

I forgot about the Shake prayer in RG. I guess it is technically three books. T'riss also mentions it in a conversation with Anomander in ch. 9 of Forge of Darkness.

I totally forgot about that! I've only read FoD once. It's entirely possible the quote or variations of it show up more often than three times, even.

Just finished Seven Blades in Black by Sykes (the first in a new world and series). It was dark, funny, violent and profane. A love letter to grimdark, Final Fantasy, and westerns. I think all malazan fans would love it. I can't comment on the narrator because I read this one.

It was probably more "adult" for the average 17th shard demographic so I wanted to share it in this sub forum where most of us seem to be a little older.

• 4 weeks later...

Forgot just how boring some arcs are in DoD. Ughhhh I just want this whole thing finished already. 2 yrs now and I still have more SE and ICE to finish up. Problem is I’m stubborn as hell so I won’t just put this down and come back later.

Edited by Briar King

• 2 weeks later...