• RotCG
    • Stonewielser
    • OST
    • BoB
    • Assail
    • Dancers Lament
    • Deadhouse Landing
    • Kellanved's Reach

Ugh, I have to finish Demon Cycle, Dagger and the Coin, Codex Alera, and Oathbringer before going back for more Malazan. Well. I say have to but mostly it's just those are the books in my unread library and I feel compelled to finish it before going on to another thing. At this point I don't know if I'll ever get around to Beren and Luthien. 

12 hours ago, officiumdefunctorum said:

Ugh, I have to finish Demon Cycle, Dagger and the Coin, Codex Alera, and Oathbringer before going back for more Malazan. Well. I say have to but mostly it's just those are the books in my unread library and I feel compelled to finish it before going on to another thing. At this point I don't know if I'll ever get around to Beren and Luthien. 

Alera is great. Butcher in general is great(except for Windlass).

Just started Deadhouse Landing. So much fun to see how the gang got together! There are more p.o.v's than Dancers Lament, but still less than than a typical malazan novel. There are tons of references to Erikson's main series and I am only 50 pages into it! I don't think we ever got a clear explanation of D'Rek in previous books and it already gets a pretty clear explanation of that god and religion. 

A blogger I check up on occasionally released a new malazan reading order. I agree with it for rereading purposes. I still think the best way to read it, for first time readers, is Erikson 1-10, Path to Ascendancy series, Night of Knives-Assail, and then the Kharkanus books. Anyways here is his link.

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2017/11/a-better-malazan-reading-order.html?m=1

I had so much fun with Deadhouse Landing I decided to give the rest of Esslemonts books, outside of The Path to Ascendancy, a shot (I had previously read Night of Knives, Return of the Crimson Guard and Stonewielder). I am 50 pages into Knight of Knives and my impression is that it is really raw. The author is trying to find his voice and it shows. It's not bad, but man has he come a long way!

My goal is to finish through Assail and to leave my thoughts as I finish each book.

Edited by Ammanas

New interview that you have to scroll down a bit to see the english translation. He answered my biggest question which was what style the Karsa books will be:

Interviewer: Related to your writing style, how do you think it will be in the Toblakai Trilogy? More akin to “Memories of Ice”, “Fall of Light”, something in between or something new not previously used? For me these two books represent the range from all-plot to all-philosophy in your writing style, I use them as benchmark when describing your books to other readers.
SE: Good question. My sense of how the Karsa novels will be written (at the moment) is that it will be a return to a more linear style, with possibly fewer POV’s than is my usual wont. This should make the books tighter and possibly quicker-paced. That said, I’ll know more once I start writing it.

I can only hope that he remains true to his word and sticks with his planned approach to this trilogy.

http://www.thecrippledblog.com/2017/11/intervista-esclusiva-steven-erikson.html?m=1

Currently just started reading Malazan, due to the prodding and pulling of some very obvious sources...

However, I'm finding the pace a little too slow, the way he presents some groundbreaking information too subtle, and some things we needto know are unexplained (how warrens work for example). I'm still going to read it but does this continue in book 2 because if it does I might just delve into the wiki

2 hours ago, NamelessThirteenth said:

Currently just started reading Malazan, due to the prodding and pulling of some very obvious sources...

However, I'm finding the pace a little too slow, the way he presents some groundbreaking information too subtle, and some things we needto know are unexplained (how warrens work for example). I'm still going to read it but does this continue in book 2 because if it does I might just delve into the wiki

It sort of does continue, but you also learn quite a bit more about the warrens as things move along. I would warn against the wiki. I've read thru the whole main series and am working on the Esslemont novels right now. Hit the wiki earlier tonight to remind myself of something and almost instantly got a spoiler. 

Your's is the main complaint, that it just drops too many info bombs without enough explanation. It was my complaint too at the time. Fortunately, the 2nd half or so of Gardens of the Moon becomes quite a bit more action filled. Deadhouse Gates though (book #2) is simply amazing and solidified my desire to continue. 

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask them, and I'll do my best to answer without giving too much away. 

10 hours ago, NamelessThirteenth said:

He will slowly reveal how the world works as the series progresses. He doesn't have a tidy magic system like Sanderson; I read in a interview that magic should always be a little mysterious because if not it would lose...well its magic. Erikson always has a slow build, but has a epic convergence at the end; similar to Stormlight in that regard. If you are feeling lost than the following website should help:

https://www.tor.com/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen/

21 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Your's is the main complaint, that it just drops too many info bombs without enough explanation. It was my complaint too at the time. Fortunately, the 2nd half or so of Gardens of the Moon becomes quite a bit more action filled. Deadhouse Gates though (book #2) is simply amazing and solidified my desire to continue. 

Thanks bro/sis (this gender accomodation is painful), I might just push on