• RotCG
    • Stonewielser
    • OST
    • BoB
    • Assail
    • Dancers Lament
    • Deadhouse Landing
    • Kellanved's Reach

So I know there is a official website for people wanting to discuss malazan. But I thought I would make my own topic for those of us on the 17th shard. As the first post I would like to drop this bombshell from his facebook page that I originally found via another blogger.

Thursday, October 26, 2017Steven Erikson news

fall%2Bof%2Blight.jpg

This from Steven Erikson's Facebook author page:

I've made a point of never dissembling to my readers so why start now? The reasons for this decision (delaying Walk in Shadow) are varied: the basic situation is as follows. For reasons unknown to me, my agent or my publishers, DoD and FoL have tanked in terms of sales. I wasn't even aware of that until we started marketing the First Contact novel, RKH, but when the details came out it took the wind out of my sails (putting it mildly). Now, if it was a matter of the style I employed for the Kharkanas trilogy turning readers off, then the sales of FoD should have been decent, only to then fall off for FoL. But that wasn't the case. Strangely, the Book of the Fallen series remains strong in terms of sales. Was it because it was a prequel? Possibly. Did FoD come too soon after TCG? Maybe. Or is there some kind of reader-fatigue going on? Could be. One theory I've been considering is a more general wariness among fantasy fans regarding trilogies and series -- having been burned by other authors waiting for books, are readers just holding back until the trilogy is done, before buying in? But then, Dancer's Lament sold brilliantly (and it too is a prequel). Anyway, the upshot is, given what we perceive as considerable enthusiasm for the Karsa trilogy, we decided to jump right in. The story picks up four or five years after the ten book series, so there'll be plenty of room to explore the fall-out, and room for favourite characters to make an appearance beyond Karsa himself. I do remain committed to writing Walk in Shadow and humbly apologize for you (few?) readers eagerly awaiting that novel.

So I am really excited about the news. Personally the Kharkanus books were not working for me. It's more of a style thing...I believe that Steven Erikson is still one of the most talented writers out there. I would still give Walk in Shadow a chance after reading his Karsa books.

Edited by Ammanas

Damnation! 

To be fair, I have not read Fall of Light yet, but that's more of a scheduling conflict. Forge of Darkness was great, sucks that we might get a Warbreaker sequel before the third book. 

I think Steven has writer fatigue as well. He seems to be struggling with these books. Coupled with sales figures, this is in excuse to set the trilogy aside for a palate cleanser. 

I liked Forge of Darness though less than his original ten. It was at the edge of what I enjoy though (with its ponderous tone and denser prose). Fall of Light took it to a whole new level. I feel towards it as I do towards the Silmarillion (which I have finished) and that is the book is pure genius, but I am not in a place right now or not the sort of person that can enjoy it. I was told by some malazan fans that I am just too stupid to appreciate the Kharkanus books (who knows that might be true) but I digress...

I wasn't a big fan of Forge of Darkness (it's the only Erikson Malazan book that I've read just once) and although I purchased Fall of Light, I haven't read it yet, nor have I even built up the desire to place it at the top of my "To read' list.  I wasn't a big fan of the style and the story seemed... off, compared to what had come before.  I get (at least, I think I do) what he was going for, but it just didn't work for me.  I am sad to read that sales for the Kharkanas books were nowhere near what his publishing team were expecting; I bout the hardcover for both FoD and FoL within the first month of release.   Having said all of that, I will definitely give the Karsa trilogy a chance, and am actually quite excited that those will be Erikson's next project! 

Edited by KiManiak

Huh...no wonder FoL was in the bargain isle when I bought it recently.

I personally hated elements of FoD after reading 10 bks and then having things not line up. There is an interesting comment that Tool makes to Lorn in GotM though that I picked up on on reread. I forget the exact wording but in essence things are lost over time. Still though FoD kinda sucked

@Briar KingReading in between the lines I think the publisher has looked at the massive success of Dancers Lament, figured out the reasons why people loved it so much, and told Erikson how to make the next series more commercial. The Kharkanus books are not commercial and are very difficult for the casual fan and even some hardcore fans. I expect great things from the Karsa books!

Edited by Ammanas

@Briar King I mean... things don't line up in the core series, either. Erikson has always played it fast and loose with Malazan's reality... particularly when older beings are reminiscing or the narrator is taking creative license (like in the Kharkanus books or Toll the Hound).

I also recall an interview where he said he didn't keep notes, re-read or put too much effort in being consistent with the Book of the Fallen. 

I heard the same thing as well @TheOrlionThatComesBefore. He said the main thing was to get across certain themes and that getting every detail/timeline correct would make it really...I struggle to come up with the correct word, but the closest I can come up with is "unfun or draining"and it wouldn't be a project he wouldn't want to continue with.

I think he writes these books mainly for himself and the publishers were willing to cut him a lot of slack coming off the success of the main series, but I expect that with the Karsa books for the publishers to reign him in. I expect for there to be better editing and books that are more palatable for the casual fan.

Edited by Ammanas

45 minutes ago, officiumdefunctorum said:

I haven't read any of the Kharkanus books yet, might do at some point but they sound a bit heavy and I need a break.

But WHAT IS THIS ABOUT A KARSA TRILOGY I MUST KNOW.

I don't want to say it's the Second Apocalypse of Malazan for fear of scaring you off forever... but it tends more towards that without the massive amounts of sexual violence. You taking a break is a good idea. 

The Karsa books have been long awaited by the long term fans. Rumored for years even before the main 10 were finished but had no grasp when it 1st hit were it would fit timeline wise in the saga. We were also expecting a Coda book that would would take place after 10. That’s the one I wanted the most.

1 minute ago, Briar King said:

The Karsa books have been long awaited by the long term fans. Rumored for years even before the main 10 were finished but had no grasp when it 1st hit were it would fit timeline wise in the saga. We were also expecting a Coda book that would would take place after 10. That’s the one I wanted the most.

The CODA is suppose to be written by Esslemont, right? It was never clear to me if it was suppose to be its own book or Assail.

Been quite a few yrs since anything was even said about it but iirc it was Erikson doing it.

There was also supposed to be a big atlas/encyclopedia in the works. Once again it’s been years since an update unless I have missed a discussion on Malazan board. I don’t really go into the book forums anymore there.

Esslemont was supposed to write a ending Coda to the series, but that plan was scrapped a long time ago. It was supposed to be different from Assail to my knowledge.

The malazan encyclopedia idea was also scrapped. I read in a reddit ama, I think it was that at least. I think they wanted to release the info in a different way. I think he mentioned they were looking into a massive table top game.

Also a further update from Erikson:

Thanks so much for all your comments and encouragement.  To those of you waiting for the trilogy to finish before buying, no need to apologize.  Waiting for books sucks.  Personally, I wish FoL hadn't taken three years to write.  That alone is a long wait for any reader.  I think what's made the Kharkanas trilogy so fragile for me is that it was always a risky proposition, in terms of tone, atmosphere and writing style.  It's dense stuff, and while the style is seductive (for me) it's also one that requires a certain frame of mind.  I wasn't aware of how vulnerable that frame of mind was until it got hammered.  It may well turn out that after the first Karsa novel (working title: The God is not Willing), I'll head straight back to Walk in Shadow.  Sometimes momentum is all one needs.

Edited by Ammanas

So there are many reasons why the Kharkanus books have not been selling well. One of them is the cover art. They had a great cover for Forge of Darkness (or at least a much better one) and switched it out for the current one at the last second. Does anyone know why? Here is the original

the-forge-of-darkness-by-steven-erikson.jpeg

Book 5 or 6 is my personal favorite of the series! Memories of Ice is third favorite, but I know most malazan fans would say MoI is the best one.

I've always wondered how it would go to introduce someone to this series by having the Midnight Tides be the first book they read.

I think all of the Malazan books are better the second time. The first read is usually really confusing and the second read is where you start to make all sorts of connections; you also see some crazy foreshadowing that completely goes over the readers head first time around.