[OB] Inside cover art!! Finally!

Overlord Jebus

2 minutes ago, Unhinged said:

Hey anyone else notice that there are other hooded figures around the guy we assume is Ishar, I counted four in addition to the two that are standing in the middle.

Its the Desolation Paparazzi who stalked the Heralds all those years ago. The Heralds grew sick and tired of it, and broke the Oathpact. The paparazzi then went after the Radiants instead, and thus caused the Recreance. The Skybreakers remained because they knew how to sue the paparazzi and thus earned money from them.

1 minute ago, Argent said:

Welp, didn't take long to get a WoB on this:

• Ishar & Ash on the front endsheets
  • Jezrien & Vedel on the back ones

Vedel is a very interesting choice.

The other three represent our main KR so far (Bondsmith, Lightweaver, Windrunner,) but Lift, for as much as I lover her, does not strike me as someone the general audience is going to know much about, if even remember.  (In other words, not a main character.)

So could this mean that either

1. We're going to get a prominent Edgedancer in Oathbringer.  (The Adolin revives his blade and becomes an Edgedancer theory is pretty popular.)

or

2. Lift enters the main story earlier than expected.  (This is, of course, the best of all possible things that can occur in Oathbringer :P)

Heck, why not combine them both and have Lift train/buttrace Adolin around Urithiru.

1 minute ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Its the Desolation Paparazzi who stalked the Heralds all those years ago. The Heralds grew sick and tired of it, and broke the Oathpact. The paparazzi then went after the Radiants instead, and thus caused the Recreance. The Skybreakers remained because they knew how to sue the paparazzi and thus earned money from them.

So we know Odium's champion, send Nale and his impeccable fashion sense :ph34r:

The hooded figures are probably not the bonsmiths, as there are usually only three of them at a time. I would say that, because it is religious art, the hooded figures are ment to represent all the leaders of the word untied together, but they are all wearing the same cult-like outfits, not usually as regal or diverse as the kings' outfits would be. Then again, he is a Herald, and can probably tell kings how to dress according to his whims. :)

5 minutes ago, Aleksiel said:

Here's with higher resolution: Ishar Shalash 

Thanks very much, Aleksiel.

The higher resolution ones show multiple masks on the ground by Shalash, and the hooded men are holding the lanterns around Ishar. Also, Shalash's dress is somewhat see-through. The masks are more interesting, though. I wonder what they represent?

Edited by SilverTiger

4 minutes ago, SilverTiger said:

Thanks very much, Aleksiel.

The higher resolution ones show multiple masks on the ground by Shalash, and the hooded men are holding the lanterns around Ishar. Also, Shalash's dress is somewhat see-through. The masks are more interesting, though. I wonder what they represent?

Hmm she looks like she is destroying more art. Of herself?

5 minutes ago, SilverTiger said:

The higher resolution ones show multiple masks on the ground by Shalash, and the hooded men are holding the lanterns around Ishar. Thanks very much, Aleksiel.

Ten lanterns like the number of Oathgates, may be one from each silver kingdom. The in-world artist must know Ash could change appearance. I like how it has an out of this world beauty vibe.

@StormingTexan that's a very interesting way to interpret it, I didn't consider it. It's fitting isn't it? 

Edited by Aleksiel

20 minutes ago, SilverTiger said:

The pictures are actually inworld pieces as well (painted by Oilsworn). So these will require analysis through Vorin lenses.

Yet in an unintended way it has remained timeless. In-world the masks might be connected to the 'shalashian temperament' that has been mentioned, it was never clarified what it meant exactly or the knowledge illumination allowed one to look different was still common when the painting was created. I wonder where she is supposed to be - may be on one of the moons and behind her is Roshar?

Edited by Aleksiel

7 minutes ago, paperstones said:

What's the crystal hanging from Ishars neck? Dawnshard?

It reminds me visually of the First Hokage's necklace, which helped him capture and control tailed beast, so why not unmade, too? No, seriously, they look alike and the suggested functions are similar :ph34r:

Now im hyped for Lift appearance in the OB.

Im not saying anything, but we have Windrunner (Kaladin), Lightweaver (Shallan), Bondsmith (Dalinar) and Edgedancer (Lift) Heralds. Since three of them are in the OB, i aslo expect the fourth one character to appear.

2 minutes ago, maxal said:

Not at all what I expected, but it is gorgeous. I however think the female character's dressing style is odd when compared to the book we are reading.

Shallan drew Urithiru in a surrealistic style, so why not this? It's supposed to be very old painting and art always challenges social norms.

1 hour ago, SilverTiger said:

Can you link the source of this WoB (just curious, want to read it myself). Also, are there pictures of the back two we can see?

Unbeliever!

You can read all of Brandon's comments on the topic (including the WoB I referred to) here.