[OB] Inside cover art!! Finally!

Overlord Jebus

I absolutely love these depictions, especially the back two; they look like something that could be hanging in the Louvre or the Met.

And I'm going to go ahead and say that I'm really loving that the Heralds are being depicted as black and Asian. I know we have a whole variety of races on Roshar that are represented, but too often in fantasy fiction we see an abundance of white people as most of the stories are inspired by western/European folklore. Love to see the inclusivity and the continued subversion of the genre that Brandon's been up to in this series so far.

57 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

Im aware. The hell is she associated with keys for? So weird (still hot though).

I doubt Jezrien is a greying or Alethi...

Pretty sure the artist copy pasted Michael Whelans version of rockbuds and the storms.

it looks like Ishar attracts glory spren, Jezrien wind spren and Vedel life spren....cool details!

Repeating what I wrote on Reddit here:

Bear in mind that these are in-world paintings which are what Rosharan artists THINK the heralds look like. The Alethi looking Jezrien might have been drawn by an Alethi artist. There might be some real world connotations here, where Jesus’s ethnicity in different countries are often depicted differently depending on the country. Though, this is all speculation of course. 

4 hours ago, lexoj said:

Bear in mind that these are in-world paintings which are what Rosharan artists THINK the heralds look like. The Alethi looking Jezrien might have been drawn by an Alethi artist. There might be some real world connotations here, where Jesus’s ethnicity in different countries are often depicted differently depending on the country. Though, this is all speculation of course. 

That is very true. Also, the Herlads are thousands of years old, which means that they would look much different then most of the races currently on Roshar.

Noteworthy: while this are in-universe pictures, the artist somehow knew that the heralds were dark-eyed (at least Jezrien and Vedeledev appear to be dark-eyed, and Ash seems too. Don't know about ishar) which strikes me as somehow odd. Almost nobody had seen the heralds (and knew it) in 4000 years, and Hierocracy/Vorin/Alethi propaganda (as well as common belief) would have likely 'promoted' them all to lighteyes.

Another interesting thing is that Vedeledev is depicted as 'a herald of the common people': she has a glove, is unafraid to use her safehand to hold stuff overhead and equally unafraid to show some ellbow. The effect is slightly reduced by the fact that the dress looks not exactly practical, but one can't have everything.

EDIT: Also, they look quite different from their miniatures on the surgebinding chart, although Jezrien has a similar crown. Although... hadn't Kalak said that Jezrien had not worn a crown in centuries?

Edited by Alfa

1 hour ago, Alfa said:

Noteworthy: while this are in-universe pictures, the artist somehow knew that the heralds were dark-eyed (at least Jezrien and Vedeledev appear to be dark-eyed, and Ash seems too. Don't know about ishar) which strikes me as somehow odd. Almost nobody had seen the heralds (and knew it) in 4000 years, and Hierocracy/Vorin/Alethi propaganda (as well as common belief) would have likely 'promoted' them all to lighteyes.

Another interesting thing is that Vedeledev is depicted as 'a herald of the common people': she has a glove, is unafraid to use her safehand to hold stuff overhead and equally unafraid to show some ellbow. The effect is slightly reduced by the fact that the dress looks not exactly practical, but one can't have everything.

EDIT: Also, they look quite different from their miniatures on the surgebinding chart, although Jezrien has a similar crown. Although... hadn't Kalak said that Jezrien had not worn a crown in centuries?

That just means these paintings are pre-Oathbreak or atleast not Vorin influenced

I note that the design behind Vedel also includes glyphs of the ten orders, and in the centre seems to have a representation of the three moons of Roshar.

Of what significance are the moons? I never heard them associated with heralds or surge binding before.

9 hours ago, Patrick Star said:

Jezrien's belt buckle thing is interesting.  He has a bunch of gems on it.

In the outer circle, there are 10 gems, likely corresponding to the different orders.

However, in the center, he has 3 gems.  My gut says for Honor, Cultivation, and Odium, but why would he have a gem for Odium?  The inner gems are light purple, green, and blue for those wondering.  I'm honestly not sure what they're for, anyone else have any ideas?

I notice his buckle actually seems to match the stain glass behind Vedel almost completely - one Gem for each of the orders, with symbol.  The three interior gems seem to correspond to the moons to me, based on colour and size, green-medium, blue-large and violet-small.

Edit: So others got to the point before I did that the inner gems match the moons.  But to keep going, on Vedel's window, between the circle of orders and the moons, each order has two coloured gems/stones/glass touching them, a different colour than the order.  I guess that represents the surges the orders have access to?  It is hard to tell because we can't clearly see all twenty.  And I'm already thinking of axing this, as Bondsmith seems to be right next to Windrunner, and the two orbiting colours do not match at all - and they both have adhesion.

So what are those little gems on the border between circles representing?

Edited by Stark
Ninja'd by others.

12 hours ago, MPHRD said:

yea both the stained glass behind Vedel and on Jezriens belt have three inner circles within the ten that obviously represent the ten heralds/KR orders. Maybe those represent the moons or the three super spren that the Bondsmiths bond with?

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 8.32.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 8.32.20 PM.png

Note also that the location of the green, purple and blue dots with respect to each other and the centre seems to align with the inferred orbits of each of the three moons: 

Also worth noting, people have commented on the windspren around Jezrien, but I think we have spren around them all...

Vedel is surrounded by green motes that could be lifespren. - Which fits Edgedancers

Ishar has those orange blobs that could be.... orange spren?  I don't know, I think the only spren we know of that have been described as orange are painspren, and those look like hands.  So these are a different orange spren.

Jezrien clearly is be swarmed by windspren. - Which fits Windrunners

Shallash does not clearly have a spren near her, unless the fragments floating above her masks are the spren - creation spren are supposed to be silvery, right?  And take the shapes of things,, like the masks.  I admit that is a push, but it is the right colour spren to appear around the created masks - and artistic license allows them not to look like random objects, but facets of the masks?  - Which would fit Lightweavers

Edited by Stark
typos typos typos.

5 minutes ago, Stark said:

Ishar has those orange blobs that could be.... orange spren?  I don't know, I think the only spren we know of that have been described as orange are painspren, and those look like hands.  So these are a different orange spren.

Gloryspren? Tiny golden translucent globes of light...

http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Spren_Types

8 hours ago, Yata said:

I still don't get your point. What did the artist strictly wrong ?

What are you talking about? I'm just posting my thoughts on the images. Which line are you taking issue with? Let me know and I will clarify.

7 hours ago, lexoj said:

Bear in mind yada yada.

Yeah man I know all that.

So I know some people are confused by one of the Heralds being depicted with keys. I believe that they are symbolic in nature. Also keys and religions have many precedents. Here are some examples of Saint Peter

glass-window-st-peter-with-keys-paul-lew.jpg

st-peter-receiving-the-keys-to-the-kingdom-from-jesus-christ-EYFN64.jpg

Edited by Ammanas

1 hour ago, ScavellTane said:

Are we sure covering the left hand was started by the Vorin church and not a culture thing that was passed down considering Nohadons advisor only had one hand.

The whole Safehands-thing presumably originated from "arts and majesty", which made the difference between male and female jobs. We do not know how old this book is (nothing says its not written by nohadon's advisor) but it seems to be at oldest hierocratical, because it is very Vorin in nature. 

On the other hand it may have been written post-factual to constate given traditions and give some type of 'canon'.