How to Get Upvotes

I absolutely do not understand my rep, but if your ideas here are correct, I do a mixture of them. I post theories, my avatar is a cleverly altered version of my face, and for some reason people have deemed me an allstar despite my general disdain and lack of social skills. 

11 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I absolutely do not understand my rep, but if your ideas here are correct, I do a mixture of them. I post theories, my avatar is a cleverly altered version of my face, and for some reason people have deemed me an allstar despite my general disdain and lack of social skills. 

I always upvote you becaue you are always so quick to answer my questions

I'm not sure that the fact that I use my face for my profile adds to my rep gains. The vast majority of my rep came from back when I was active in the social threads and was posting lengthy and/or humorous posts-often with memes- multiple times daily. Back in those days I used an avatar from my favorite anime, not my face. I think the rep I draw now mostly comes from when I give good book or tv recommendations or my friends pitty-upvote me:lol: 

9 minutes ago, Overstorm said:

Then there are those dark, weird corners of the Shard known as Roleplaying. Nobody sane ventures there; but from what we managed to gather, there's a lot of rep dealing in there.

The deep, dark world of counterfeit reputation. 

Just now, Shqueeves said:

Based on your tips, I should be getting more upvotes. I have an account with a creative name, my profile pic is my face, and I'm great at waiting. You lied to me. 

You also need to do some posting though :P

1 hour ago, Overstorm said:

Then there are those dark, weird corners of the Shard known as Roleplaying. Nobody sane ventures there; but from what we managed to gather, there's a lot of rep dealing in there.

Not all upvotes come from there! Stupid comments in Oathbringer threads are really what bring in the votes. Or smart ones. 

That being said, I'm not entirely sane, so you might be right. 

Then, if you make witty comments on your new ranks, you can get upvotes for being upvoted. Investment at its finest 

Edited by Steeldancer

Other useful tips to get the upvotes:  Wear pants.  Some of the most highly upvoted members of this site are among the most skilled pants-wearers you can find, though some have begun experimenting with more advanced lower body coverings.  Realistically, wearing any lower body covering will get you a few upvotes, but pants tend to be the easiest to master.

Pants wearing is a stepping stone into the really high level reputation earner (750+ rep) of having hidden, pattern-shaped speakers on your wall, rigged to exclaim "No Mating" any time someone walks past them.  Pattern, and his chaperoning skills are like clickbait for upvotes.  Having mastered pants just lets them no you're serious.

Other than that - art.  Win at art. Everybody likes to give upvotes to the artists on the site - upvotes are kinda like money, only you can't use it to feed yourself.  So exposure?  Or have a new insightful WOB from a book signing that was written down, and therefore un-snipable by the recorders - those get upvotes to.  Making funnies, especially on trending threads, seems to help.

But I really do think the secret is pants.  I wear almost pants everyday, and I'm pretty happy with my reputation level - admittedly, some days I experiment with shorts.  But shorts days tend to have me away from the computer, and not posting, so shorts do not help your reputation.  So there must be a correlation, right?

57 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Not all upvotes come from there! Stupid comments in Oathbringer threads are really what bring in the votes. Or smart ones. 

That being said, I'm not entirely sane, so you might be right. 

Then, if you make witty comments on your new ranks, you can get upvotes for being upvoted. Investment at its finest 

Curse my avoidance of Oathbringer spoilers. But I'll get the satisfaction of reading it all in one go, so it balances out in the end

On October 25, 2017 at 9:10 PM, Captains Domon said:

STEP 3: WAIT

Or if you're not a patient person, all you have to do is:

1. Systematically track down a couple sharders (23 is the recommended number, more than this and it gets suspicious).

2. Take careful note of when they're are on the Shard, as well as which parts of the forum they frequently visit.

3. Tailor a series of posts to those sharders and Riot their emotions when they view them.

10 hours ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

Or if you're not a patient person, all you have to do is:

1. Systematically track down a couple sharders (23 is the recommended number, more than this and it gets suspicious).

2. Take careful note of when they're are on the Shard, as well as which parts of the forum they frequently visit.

3. Tailor a series of posts to those sharders and Riot their emotions when they view them.

*puts on aluminum foil hat* 

I still like this post. It's safe to upvote. 

10 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

There seems to be a lot of Sharders that are really into My Little Pony for whatever reason. @The Invested Beard is probably offering some sage advice. I don't understand, but to each their own

Oddly enough, a good many of us congregated in the aforementioned dark, weird corners of the Shard. :P