MistbornAlpaca

Okay, how do are Mistborn influenced by power lines? I would imagine on the larger, full metal powerlines it would act like the spike-ways from era 1, except better, because they're everywhere! But could you potentially fly based on the powerlines? Pushing continuously on the middle wire, while using the side wires to balance and control your direction. What do you think?

Could a power line support a person's weight without snapping? Lamp posts and manhole covers might be safer.

If I was an urban planner on Scadrial, I'd just install the spikes in the ground at regular intervals. That way coinshots won't be tempted to litter, or cause random property damage.

33 minutes ago, Belzedar said:

Could a power line support a person's weight without snapping? Lamp posts and manhole covers might be safer.

If I was an urban planner on Scadrial, I'd just install the spikes in the ground at regular intervals. That way coinshots won't be tempted to litter, or cause random property damage.

Or you know, ban steelpushing in cities. Coinshots are very small minority in society anyway and it's not like they can't move around like everyone else.

In the past I have designed power lines.  In the US there is the National Electric Safety Code(NESC) which dictates minimum design criteria.  One of those criteria is designing the line to withstand a certain amount of loading from ice and wind.  Pushing on the lines would also be a type of point loading and could be taken into consideration when designing the line.  So the NESC equivalent of Scadrial would likely develop overtime and have some safety factors for coinshots in addition to the ones we have here in the US.

1 hour ago, notsawerd said:

In the past I have designed power lines.  In the US there is the National Electric Safety Code(NESC) which dictates minimum design criteria.  One of those criteria is designing the line to withstand a certain amount of loading from ice and wind.  Pushing on the lines would also be a type of point loading and could be taken into consideration when designing the line.  So the NESC equivalent of Scadrial would likely develop overtime and have some safety factors for coinshots in addition to the ones we have here in the US.

So do power line tolerances for ice hang allow for human weight? 

Wax still shouldn't have an issue so long as he remembers to dump weight into his metalminds, but yeah... he's the exception there. 

9 minutes ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

So do power line tolerances for ice hang allow for human weight? 

Wax still shouldn't have an issue so long as he remembers to dump weight into his metalminds, but yeah... he's the exception there. 

Ice is not light. If power lines withstand breaking when an entire span is coated and has icicles hanging 6+ inches, I'd imagine Wax would need to tap in order to significantly damage lines of modern design. 

Ice is very heavy, but my point wasn't US lines could withstand a coinshot or mistborn's weight being pressed on it.  My point is that it could be one design criteria that Scadrial engineers would consider when building a line.  While there is a risk of the wire breaking due to ice loading that is typically only on smaller lines made out of brittle conductor.  The bigger issue is conductor sag which causes the clearances to drop which leads to flashovers faults.  Those can be very dangerous which is why utilities have protective devices on lines to deenergize them when it happens.

Edited by notsawerd

21 hours ago, MasterJack said:

Okay, how do are Mistborn influenced by power lines? I would imagine on the larger, full metal powerlines it would act like the spike-ways from era 1, except better, because they're everywhere! But could you potentially fly based on the powerlines? Pushing continuously on the middle wire, while using the side wires to balance and control your direction. What do you think?

I rather suspect Sazed had underground ducts for power and phone lines included in Elendel's civic planning. Possibly colocated with the water supply.

We don't see any overhead powerlines in any of Wax's urban flight scenes (or any of the other descriptions) despite several of them occuring in areas with electric power.

Likewise if they have telegraph they appear to bury the cables along side the tracks rather than put them on poles.

2 minutes ago, Dahak said:

I rather suspect Sazed had underground ducts for power and phone lines included in Elendel's civic planning. Possibly colocated with the water supply.

We don't see any overhead powerlines in any of Wax's urban flight scenes (or any of the other descriptions) despite several of them occuring in areas with electric power.

Likewise if they have telegraph they appear to bury the cables along side the tracks rather than put them on poles.

Interesting, but I like it!

12 minutes ago, Dahak said:

They don't yet have telegraphs. 

Questioner (paraphrased)

People are going crazy wondering if there are telegraphs and telephones in Alloy of Law. Are there? And if not, why?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There are not yet. And the reason why is because they haven’t needed them yet. Necessity is the, what the fuel of invention?

Audience Member (paraphrased)

The mother of invention

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, the mother of invention, and they have messengers who run, Coinshots who are very fast. They also basically don’t need to go outside the City, and haven’t for a long time. They’re close, but they haven’t invented them yet for the same reason that they have very poor navigation techniques. Why do you need to ship anything or sail anywhere when you have some idyllic paradise to live in? And you have allomancers, who in some ways are preventing from achieving that next level, because a Coinshot can get it there really fast, and so you’re only waiting a few minutes for them to come back with your message, so it can actually stifle a little bit of technology by having a not-quite-as-good magical solution.

• 2 weeks later...

In BoM, a banker in New Seran sent a message to Elendel to confirm Marasi and Wayne's identities. I believe the book said it was a telegraph(Wayne said something along the lines of "those things cost 3 clips a letter!"), but whether I'm right or not, they have some form of instantaneous communication

Edit: I checked, a telegram was used. Chapter eleven if you want to read it yourselves.

Edited by Crimson Not Blood

On 11/10/2017 at 1:02 PM, Crimson Not Blood said:

In BoM, a banker in New Seran sent a message to Elendel to confirm Marasi and Wayne's identities. I believe the book said it was a telegraph(Wayne said something along the lines of "those things cost 3 clips a letter!"), but whether I'm right or not, they have some form of instantaneous communication

Edit: I checked, a telegram was used. Chapter eleven if you want to read it yourselves.

You're correct. Apparently Brandon changed his mind between that WoB (Dec 11th, 2011), and BoM (Jan 26th, 2016).

I'd totally forgotten about that exchange in the bank. Good catch. 

• Chaos locked this topic