Compounding Question

Bort

With particular regards to Miles Hundredlives...

Gold Allomancy allows the user to see the different versions of themselves.

Gold Feruchemy allows one to store up one's health for future use.

Compounding involves using an invested feruchemical store as an allomantic metal.

This allows the user to increase the power in their feruchemical store tenfold, but what I would like to know is, why does it release that power as feruchemy, and not as a more powerful version of allomancy? Does anyone know, or should I ask Brandon in December?

4 minutes ago, Bort said:

This allows the user to increase the power in their feruchemical store tenfold, but what I would like to know is, why does it release that power as feruchemy, and not as a more powerful version of allomancy? Does anyone know, or should I ask Brandon in December?

Making a Metalmind changes the Metal's structure, in the end it turns the mundane metal in a new Metallic Arts compatible metals. When you burn it the Preservation's power is filtred by that and replicates the Feruchemical Charge in the metal. So you have more Charge than the one you put in.

I think this WoB that explains why the effect is feruchemical and not allomantic. Basically, it isn't the metal that is responsible for the power, it is the filter, like the aons in Elantris. Storing a feruchemical charge in a metal changes the structure of the metal, which filters the investiture differently and more powerfully. The  feruchemical charge changes the metal in a way that allows more feruchemical investiture.

@Yata agreed, was writing when you responded.

Edited by Sliverofnone

• Chaos locked this topic