[OB] Dustbringers are Quantum Physicists

Steeldancer

They like to break things apart to find out what makes them tick. Sounds like a quantum physicist to me. 

Furthermore, how is this brave, or even of Honor? Why did they like to break things? Although I really can't wait for them to break things. Yum. 

Tarangavian does not control Malasha. And Spark, that sounds like advanced fire spren. 

I'm excited to see a new order. Dustbringers are the one I have most been looking forward to. 

2 minutes ago, redbishop said:

A singularity needs gravitation.  I would say that sounds more like a Skybreaker power.

Division and abrasion sounds more like fission to me.  Which, interestingly, involves the release of the balance of the mass from binding energy.

So maybe a resonance between Releaser and Skybreaker? That would be something eh?

1 minute ago, The Invested Beard said:

So maybe a resonance between Releaser and Skybreaker? That would be something eh?

Maybe!  Although this line of thought shines a fascinating new light on the naming.  Division and Abrasion may very well function by breaking molecular (or even atomic?) bonds - releasing the binding energy.  The Releasers see themselves as setting it free, while others see the Dustbringers setting the world aflame.

1 minute ago, redbishop said:

Maybe!  Although this line of thought shines a fascinating new light on the naming.  Division and Abrasion may very well function by breaking molecular (or even atomic?) bonds - releasing the binding energy.  The Releasers see themselves as setting it free, while others see the Dustbringers setting the world aflame.

Doubt they'll be breaking atomic bonds. That has a tendency to get quite... explosive. Also, it only works with elements heavier than iron.

Molecular bonds, however... They are much, much easier to break and tend to be a lot less extreme.

3 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Doubt they'll be breaking atomic bonds. That has a tendency to get quite... explosive. Also, it only works with elements heavier than iron.

Molecular bonds, however... They are much, much easier to break and tend to be a lot less extreme.

Indeed Division works at Molecular level not Atomic levels...there is a WoB somewhere.

Yolen had a magic that could break stuff to atomic level by the way

I mean, that makes sense.  Although even atomic decay only releases a little energy...  per nucleus.  It just scales linearly, and there are an awful lot of atoms available.

This kind of makes me wonder if dustbringers carried around bottles of ammonia or sugar or other common, high-bond-energy substances to use as grenades.

I mean, that makes sense.  Although even atomic decay only releases a little energy...  per nucleus.  It just scales linearly, and there are an awful lot of atoms available.

This kind of makes me wonder if dustbringers carried around bottles of ammonia or sugar or other common, high-bond-energy substances to use as grenades.

Fallout4_Sugar_Bombs.png

Atomic decay releases quite a bit of energy compared to anything involving molecular bonds, though. Atoms pack a lot more energy than molecules.

Oh, and ammonia isn't really common, it's just that it's super important for humanity and so we're making it in absolutely crazy amounts ever since we figured out it was possible a hundred years ago.

3 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Atomic decay releases quite a bit of energy compared to anything involving molecular bonds, though. Atoms pack a lot more energy than molecules.

Oh, and ammonia isn't really common, it's just that it's super important for humanity and so we're making it in absolutely crazy amounts ever since we figured out it was possible a hundred years ago.

Fair enough, on both counts.  I just glanced at my handy-dandy Chart of the Nuclides, and saw that "M" in front of the "ev/disintegration."  Now I am daydreaming about how much Stormlight would be required to induce a chain-reaction in non-fissile materials.  This may be my dorkiest line of thought yet.

9 minutes ago, redbishop said:

Fair enough, on both counts.  I just glanced at my handy-dandy Chart of the Nuclides, and saw that "M" in front of the "ev/disintegration."  Now I am daydreaming about how much Stormlight would be required to induce a chain-reaction in non-fissile materials.  This may be my dorkiest line of thought yet.

Eh. I can do better. How much do you think it would be, relative to the amount of stormlight required to work an Oathgate?

That's difficult to say, since we don't really know the mechanism of Oathgates - do they function as teleporters, and the Stormlight breaks down the entities and reassembles them?  Do the Oathgate platforms somehow move through the spiritual realm, and the Stormlight acts as a lubricant and motive force?  Does it take more Stormlight to move to Urithiru than it does to Aimia, due to altitude?

That's difficult to say, since we don't really know the mechanism of Oathgates - do they function as teleporters, and the Stormlight breaks down the entities and reassembles them?  Do the Oathgate platforms somehow move through the spiritual realm, and the Stormlight acts as a lubricant and motive force?  Does it take more Stormlight to move to Urithiru than it does to Aimia, due to altitude?

Hm. Good question. If it goes through the spiritual realm, it might be the same. Cognitive, probably not. 

Or does it take more to Aimia, due to distance?

2 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Or does it take more to Aimia, due to distance?

You are implying the possible existance of "Cognitive drag," I suppose.  Not having a copy handy, do we have a feel for whether Oathgates are instant, a fixed-duration or a variable-time?  Though right now we only have 3 unlocked (and no Sigzil to drive evidence-based experimentation), and to my knowledge we haven't seen a character travel to different locations.

Honestly I was thinking more Engineer or Biologist depending on what they like to take apart. Quantum Physics... I mean I get they control Strong and Weak Force but it seems to fine for human perception. I guess we'll see. I do think Releaser might also suggest some things. 

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Dustbringers are Quantum Physicists
  • Chaos locked this topic