[OB] Oathbringer chapters 25-27

Mestiv

So our first Unmade has appeared.....and it's a blob monster? Alright, we'll see how that goes.

I doubt something so small could corrupt all of Urithiru with madness.

However, Nergaoul could influence an entire country by radiating the Thrill for decades and decades without issue, so eh?

To hell with young Dalinar, killing his own men. 

Have any of you seen the film Baby Driver?

Rhythms seem to be all over the place on Roshar with even the Ryshadium galloping in rhythm and attracting music spren.

If they do make the Stormlight movie, it would be awesome to see Shardbearers and soldiers influenced by the beats of the thrill fighting with the battle cut to the beat of the soundtrack.

Lastly....I like Evi.

Edited by Nymeros
Le sigh

1 minute ago, Aleksiel said:

The thrill one seems to move around, at least the way I read it. Yelig-nar and Moelach also move around, so in my opinion all should be moving and not stationary. Why waste an Unmade to have it stand by for centuries there?

Maybe it's trapped in Urithiru?

Just now, Aleksiel said:

The thrill one seems to move around, at least the way I read it. Yelig-nar and Moelach also move around, so in my opinion all should be moving and not stationary. Why waste an Unmade to have it stand by for centuries there?

People seem to be assuming that the Unmade has been lurking in Urithiru for ages, but why couldn't it have just arrived along with everyone else from the shattered plains?

14 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

Malata is my new favorite. Be annoyed all you want Shallan and company, I think she's just peachy. Her offhand comment about having only the Vorin teachings' word about the Recreance and everything that happened with the Radiants seems a lot more important and prescient than looking on the surface as some sort of racist thing. Oh and Spark the spren? YES! Start breaking things to find out what's inside dude! That was me as a kid so yeah Dustbringers continue to be my peeps.

I read her comment very differently, not disputing all of vorin teachings, but rather saying that they only have Alethi word that what is currently happening is a desolation. In fact I'm fairly sure that's what it means.

11 minutes ago, Aleksiel said:

The thrill one seems to move around, at least the way I read it. 

Hrmmm, it seems like it only started moving with the coming of the Desolation. Before that, he was just chilling, corrupting the Alethi for probably centuries (the Alethi are known for the Thrill and it was used by even the Sunmaker way back when).

Edited by Nymeros

Just now, Aleksiel said:

The Thrill one probably moves (it's name is Nergaoul by the way). Moelach moves as well, with the Death Rattles. Yelig-nar is capable of moving as well, but we don't know if it does that all the time. 

My point is that Odium probably waited for the right time to kick off a new Desolation, and laid low and prepared in silence in the meantime, which means that the Unmade probably were stuffed away waiting to be used somewhere. Remember, most of these ar single-minded, dull creatures. Moelach didn't start summoning Death Rattles until just recently (when Gavilar found the Parshendi, accoording to Coppermind), so it probably chilled out somewhere else too. In the thousand years of silence between Desolations, Odium wouldn't have much use for an Unmade that killed people, so he put it on stand-by in a place where it would be useful later on: Urithiru. It wasn't a waste, since he didn't need it for something else during that time.

4 minutes ago, Gigalemesh said:

I read her comment very differently, not disputing all of vorin teachings, but rather saying that they only have Alethi word that what is currently happening is a desolation. In fact I'm fairly sure that's what it means.

This is the fun thing about Malata: everyone seems to be reading her differently. Excited to see what is going on.

12 minutes ago, Ramza1890 said:

Did the death of the random horse hit anyone else harder than it probably should have. The way Dalinar just walked away from the creature who had died for no good reason just made me madder at Dalinar than anything else in the chapter.

Rock being injured hit me harder than Dalinar breaking the horses back....

4 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

The Thrill one probably moves (it's name is Nergaoul by the way). Moelach moves as well, with the Death Rattles. Yelig-nar is capable of moving as well, but we don't know if it does that all the time. 

My point is that Odium probably waited for the right time to kick off a new Desolation, and laid low and prepared in silence in the meantime, which means that the Unmade probably were stuffed away waiting to be used somewhere. Remember, most of these ar single-minded, dull creatures. Moelach didn't start summoning Death Rattles until just recently (when Gavilar found the Parshendi, accoording to Coppermind), so it probably chilled out somewhere else too. In the thousand years of silence between Desolations, Odium wouldn't have much use for an Unmade that killed people, so he put it on stand-by in a place where it would be useful later on: Urithiru. It wasn't a waste, since he didn't need it for something else during that time.

Thanks, I couldn't remember what it was called. Only that is was something like Nazgul, but not really :ph34r:

It still doesn't feel like an Unmade, though you make some good points. It feels like a corrupted version of TW surges - the look alike victim from illumination and the wound mimicking like reversed re-Growth. 

First off, I'm the slightest bit disappointed that we didn't get a Kaladin chapter this week, but oh well. I do think there's something going on with that glyph he sent. I don't see the Parshman letting him send a message.

Very interesting stuff for Shallan this time, way to go Adoulin for aborting the conversation I was dreading between Kaladin and Shallan at some point.

I would totally go watch lightweaver theater! I wonder what other special facilities they have in Urithiru for Radiant residents.

Shallan's story is giving me some really strong dejavu vibes, and I don't know why. I feel like I've heard it before though. Like... It's really bothering me.

The Unmade is appearing to Shallan through her drawings, I wonder if Renarin is being affected by the Unmade that's haunting Urithiru somehow, we've barely seen any of him so far.

The Dalinar chapter is one that we've got before, I think in The Thrill. Either way, some nice tidbits about the Thrill here (I agree with the people that have said it reminds them of the rhythms)

In my opinion, this is also better flow in the writing of battles over previous books, very nice chapters this week, even if I do still want to know what's happening with the 'voidbringers.'

1 minute ago, Aleksiel said:

It still doesn't feel like an Unmade, though you make some good points. It feels like a corrupted version of TW surges - the look alike victim from illumination and the wound mimicking like reversed re-Growth. 

I have been considering something similar myself, so I can just as well voice it now: what if each Unmade is connected to a Radiant order, power-wise. The copy-cat one (if it is an Unmade, which I believe) can change appearance, or create an Illusion, which would be similar to Shallans power. It might be able to meddle with her illusions as well. If this is true, I would bet that Yelig-Nar has Division (he broke into a room somewhere and killed a bunch of people, Division fits that) and Re-Shepir, who gives birth to Midnight Essence has corrupted Soulcasting, or corrupted Regrowth. Moelach and Nergaoul doesn't really fit with all this though, but I figure it's worth posting anyway. 

3 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

Shallan knows now. Her budding love for kaladin? Probably crushed right there.

I'm not so sure.  Shortly before learning it was Kaladin, we got:

Shallan gritted her teeth, but found her anger… cool. Not gone. No, she would not forgive this man for killing Helaran. But the uncomfortable truth was that she didn’t know why, or how, her brother had fallen to Amaram. She could almost hear Jasnah whispering to her: Don’t judge without more details.

Which sure sounds like she's ready to take the time to think things through and be understanding.

20 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

This is the fun thing about Malata: everyone seems to be reading her differently. Excited to see what is going on.

I like her. She's quickly starting to become one of my favorite characters, as much as that is possible with how much screentime she's getting, and I want more.

Just now, Leyrann said:

I like her. She's quickly starting to become one of my favorite characters, as much as that is possible with how much screentime she's getting, and I want more.

I don't find that wierd, considering that some of my favorite characters are either hated by the majority of the community, or has very little screen-time.

2 minutes ago, Nedwick said:

Kadash was still a member of the elites for this battle, so I don’t think we’ve seen the act that drove him away.

Dalinar killing hundreds of men, some of them his own, in mere minutes could very well be what drove him to the Ardentia.

Edit: Ninjaed :ph34r:

Edited by Pattern

Just now, Toaster Retribution said:

I don't find that wierd, considering that some of my favorite characters are either hated by the majority of the community, or has very little screen-time.

I'm like that in many stories. My favorite character in Star Wars Episode 1 is this lady.

ep1_ia_72716_8f6cf18b.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I have been considering something similar myself, so I can just as well voice it now: what if each Unmade is connected to a Radiant order, power-wise. The copy-cat one (if it is an Unmade, which I believe) can change appearance, or create an Illusion, which would be similar to Shallans power. It might be able to meddle with her illusions as well. If this is true, I would bet that Yelig-Nar has Division (he broke into a room somewhere and killed a bunch of people, Division fits that) and Re-Shepir, who gives birth to Midnight Essence has corrupted Soulcasting, or corrupted Regrowth. Moelach and Nergaoul doesn't really fit with all this though, but I figure it's worth posting anyway. 

I think you're reading into it too much.  If anything, the unmade would probably be powerful voidbinders, and we haven't seen how that magic system works yet.

- Division isn't required to kick a door down and kill a bunch of people.

- Re-Shephir is described as spawning midnight essences.  There's a thousand ways she could do this that aren't soulcasting or regrowth.  She could split investiture off of herself, or make stormlight take on a lifelike form (the essences popped when they were killed), drag stuff between the cognitive and physical realms, and so on.

- Spren changing appearance is different from people doing it.  In a lot of cases in the cosmere, physical appearance mirrors your cognitive self.  See Vasher and Kaladin's slave brands for example.  Since spren are already all cognitive, changing their appearance doesn't need to involve illusions.  Also, we have no guarantee that the unmade is meddling with her illusions directly.

@Patrick Star You have a good point about the spren and changing appearances. WHen it comes to the other ones, I was mostly trying to suggest ways that the other Unmade could fit with my idea. But yeah, I admit that it isn't very likely.

@The Invested Beard That is a truly minor character! I kind of like Abrobadar (one of the Shardbearers in the 4v1 fight) a bit, because he had a nice name.

7 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Or maybe this was it, with how he was slaughtering his own guard after he killed that enemy Shardbearer.

In Chapter 4, Dalinar remembers Kadash vomiting in response and associates the incident that drove Kadash away with Rathalas. It seems like there is more to come.