Mystery Project in Sanderson's Status Bar

Exalted

2 hours ago, Ammanas said:

I guess the reason why us simple folk can't get it through our heads is because I have never seen where he said that. I saw you mentioned it before, but did not provide a source. If you want people to "get that in their heads" you need to provide a source. Also I think many people would consider Mistborn era two young adult even if I am unsure that Brandon has made that leap.

It's the third post on page 5 of this thread. 

“It’s something I’ve been planning for a while,” Sanderson says. “It’s another YA project, but I’m only 10 chapters into it—not even that far. So I don’t even know if this one will work out.”

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/11/brandon-sanderson-the-apocalypse-guard.html

Edited by StormingTexan

And just in case we want another source.

And more specifically this paragraph:

The thing Brandon is working on instead of Apocalypse Guard is the Mystery Project. (This is probably why Brandon said he would need to wait till State of Sanderson to talk about it, since Apocalypse Guard didn't turn out the way he would like.) The Mystery Project is another YA novel, and though it is a project he's been planning on for a while (though it is not Dark One), he outlined it over the course of three days. He's keeping a lid on it because it might not also come out. Hopefully it goes well and we'll hear all about it soon.

Edited by Brightlord Maelstrom

Brandon's Bio on Penguin Random House, September 9th:

Brandon Sanderson is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling Reckoners series: Steelheart, Firefight, and Calamity and the e-original Mitosis, The Apocalypse Guard, the internationally bestselling Mistborn trilogy, and he was chosen to complete Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series. His books have been published in more than twenty-five languages and have sold millions of copies worldwide.

Brandon's Bio on Penguin Random House, today:

Brandon Sanderson is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling Reckoners series: Steelheart, Firefight, and Calamity and the e-original Mitosis, Skyward, the internationally bestselling Mistborn trilogy, and he was chosen to complete Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series. His books have been published in more than twenty-five languages and have sold millions of copies worldwide.

So I'm guessing we're getting Skyward.

I'm with @Nat. Skyward goes back to State of the Sanderson in 2013, so it has definitely been something he has been planning for a while. He said it was YA and non-cosmere, and it would therefore be something he could publish in place of the Apocalypse Guard. The fact that it shows up on his bio on their website is pretty much a clincher to me.

3 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Cosmere? Yes please! I'm still kind of sad about it not being Dark One though.

Interesting question: would there be any effects of having Cosmere stories published from different companies (Tor and Penguin)?

33 minutes ago, Draginon said:

@Toaster Retribution I'm wondering the same thing since I assumed all of the Cosmere would be done through Tor.

Not all of the Cosmere is from Tor: The Emperor's Soul was originally published by Tachyon, and White Sand is being published by Dynamite.

13 minutes ago, Nat said:

Not all of the Cosmere is from Tor: The Emperor's Soul was originally published by Tachyon, and White Sand is being published by Dynamite.

I didn't know about ES being a different publisher since I have the AU edition. I wasn't counting Dynamite in the Cosmere publishing since Tor, as far as I know, doesn't have a graphic novel division.

17 hours ago, Draginon said:

I didn't know about ES being a different publisher since I have the AU edition. I wasn't counting Dynamite in the Cosmere publishing since Tor, as far as I know, doesn't have a graphic novel division.

Also I believe that some of the later books (Era 2 and AU so far) are published by Gollancz despite most others being done by Tor, although I believe it is only outside the US (at the very least UK versions)