Cadium, an actual use?

Curious Kid Dan

Okay, so we know Pulsers create something like a average room sized time bubble. As far as i know, we havn't been given a fixed 'rate' at which time is slowed, and or the ranges that can be achieved by flaring. I was just thinking, does this effect compound(not twin born compounding, like do the bubbles stack?) if you had a bunch of Sliders burn in the same place at the same time? If it does, then one could effectively stretch a moment out for eternity? (slight exaggeration but you catch my drift) 

Off the top of my head, this could be used to catch a Steel compounder?

Also, if this is a possibility, in theory, the people inside the bubble would continue to age while those outside were technically frozen in time (if you had enough people to stack this effect...)

I would love to hear some theories you guys have on the use of this and/or is you can disprove it before i develop this theory further:lol::lol:

On 5/8/2017 at 6:45 PM, ILuvHats said:

In the the Wax and Wayne series, it was mentioned that if a Slider and a Pulser both create bubbles in the same place, the bubbles cancel each other's effects.  However, I was wondering what happens if you have multiple sliders or multiple Pulsers create bubbles at the same time.    Would the effects stack exponentially, or would it be as if only one bubble was in place?

A Speed Bubble and a Slow Bubble will cancel each other out like a Venn Diagram, since one bubble is bigger than the other.

Multiple Bubbles of the same type will compound the effect and double.

Now to bring up Kurkistan's Thread(as that's our source of these WoB's):

The above is from The One Who Connects's post here
http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/59120-do-bendalloy-and-cadmium-bubbles-stack/

Overlap multiplicative

QUESTION
So what happens if you have a Bendalloy bubble, and then another Bendalloy bubble inside of it?

BRANDON SANDERSON
It will compound and double, and it will multiply. Bendalloy is one of the metals from Alloy of Law if you haven’t read it, as this person obviously has, or has read the Ars Arcanum, you’ll find out what it does.

Found thanks to @Kurkistan:

Edit:
Ninja'd by @Wreith

Edited by kenod

1 hour ago, Curious Kid Dan said:

Also, if this is a possibility, in theory, the people inside the bubble would continue to age while those outside were technically frozen in time (if you had enough people to stack this effect...)

I think this might be slightly off-base. Time is only slowed inside the bubble, not outside it. So, if you stacked, somehow, thousands of Pulsers  and created a point of really, really slow time then all that would happen is the person or persons in that central point would be experiencing (to them) "normal time" but each one (1) second of their "normal time" would be worth days/years/decades of outside time. Once the bubbles dropped they'd find themselves millennia (or even further) into the "future" from their perspective but, for everyone outside the bubbles, time would have moved through those millennia "normally".

Right?

16 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

I think this might be slightly off-base. Time is only slowed inside the bubble, not outside it. So, if you stacked, somehow, thousands of Pulsers  and created a point of really, really slow time then all that would happen is the person or persons in that central point would be experiencing (to them) "normal time" but each one (1) second of their "normal time" would be worth days/years/decades of outside time. Once the bubbles dropped they'd find themselves millennia (or even further) into the "future" from their perspective but, for everyone outside the bubbles, time would have moved through those millennia "normally".

Right?

Yeah that sounds spot on. The original thing sounds more like a description of bendaloy

I think a better question is how little you can effect internal time inthe buble while retaining the randomisation of vectors effect on the boundary.

If you can still get bullets to deflect from their aim point while lowering internal time to say 1 - a millionth of external time, you get something like Wax's Steelbubble that works on non - metals against long range fire.

On 10/20/2017 at 7:30 PM, CaptainRyan said:

Right?

So, does that mean all that age is going to hit you as soon as you drop the bubble? Having a similar effect as when TLR lost his atium bands? If not then (get ready for this one), could you say (loosely) that this is kinda a method to travel forward in time?

4 minutes ago, Curious Kid Dan said:

So, does that mean all that age is going to hit you as soon as you drop the bubble? Having a similar effect as when TLR lost his atium bands? If not then (get ready for this one), could you say (loosely) that this is kinda a method to travel forward in time?

The second. You will Age relatively to your experienced time, not the external One.

So yeah Cadmius could be used to Travel forward in time.

35 minutes ago, Yata said:

The second. You will Age relatively to your experienced time, not the external One.

So yeah Cadmius could be used to Travel forward in time.

I have a feeling we are going to find a group of people that have gathered together and technically put themselves in a 'stasis chamber' to the see the future

4 minutes ago, Curious Kid Dan said:

I have a feeling we are going to find a group of people that have gathered together and technically put themselves in a 'stasis chamber' to the see the future

There are already theories on Marasi as Era3 character... I don't like them, but Indeed is magically possible

6 hours ago, Sariel said:

Cadmium can be used for councils or meeting to have more time.

Cadmium and Duralamin can be used together to achieve a similar effect to a lot of Pulsers, but that's not very useful...

How exactly? Cadmium creates a bubble of time dilation. Using it makes more time pass outside the bubble. By definition, any use of cadmium makes you lose time. 

Unless you're intention is to make time pass, cadmium is counter productive to time management. 

I thought this thread was about Feruchemal Cadmium (Feruchemical?). I'll make a new thread about that...

Also, I think that Cadmium as an Allomantic metal showed a lot of good usage in all three Wax and Wayne books. However, it is even more useful than bendalloy as a non-combat metal. Cadmium could be used for stasis, super effective imprisonment (with a consenting Misting guard to set up the bubble), detainment (as in Alloy of Law), and a couple others. This reminds me of how I thought A-steel/F-iron was one of the worst Coinshot Twinborn combos there was, before I opened Alloy of Law. Cadmium sounds really bad, but it turns out to be even better than bendalloy, or sometimes even Nicrosil. (Not the base metals though, those are pretty OP)

• Chaos locked this topic