UK Oathbringer Tour - Forbidden Planet’s London Megastore 2017-11-28

Overlord Jebus

Thanks Ookla! 

But yeh - had great fun at the signing, especially in the queue at the start meeting people and discussing the cosmere - many of who are active on here. So hey all! 

Here is what I asked: 

Spoiler

Me: We know spren look different in the cognitive realm as compared to the physical, what do Seons look like on the cognitive realm? 

Brandon: Very different 

Me: With Hoid, if we are to hypothetically say that he was to bond with the cryptic spren as suggested at the end of Oathbringer, would there be any resonances between the lightweaving form of investiture and the Yolen form, that we know works in a similar way to lightweaving - would this be two separate magic systems, or would there be some resonance effect that would make something new? 

Brandon: R.A.F.O card for you 

Me: Have we seen any instances of hemalurgy on Roshar before, and given the end of Oathbringer, related question: is what happened to Jezrien hemalurgy? 

Brandon: There are certain philosophers in the cosmere who would class what happened as hemalurgy, but I am on the fence and am unsure, there is something slightly different going on. 

Me: but we have seen hemalurgy on roshar? 

Brandon: yes, there have been people who have visited Roshar who use hemalurgy, and I am pretty confident that one of them has had screen time. 

following from these answers: 

Spoiler

I am so interested to know exactly what happened to Jezrien, that it 'could be classed as hemalurgy' by some in world philosophers, but Brandon isn't sure he counts it. Is it a different form of investiture we haven't seen? Or is this some shard specific power we don't know about? 

Interested to hear what everyone else asked and was told. 

I have returned!  I have to say although the line was long and the temps cold, it was well worth it.  Also met my real-life Sharder (shout-out if you see this), proves y'all aren't myths. 

Here's my question (going off of my vague memory--I was in shock a bit):

Spoiler

Me (after pushing myself through being flustered): What is your inspiration for writing as much as you do?  I write books myself and I have trouble with concentration.

Mr. Sanderson: Well, you see I don't stick to word counts.  I focus on the overall word count bar going steadily up.  It's not so much how much you write, it's that you're consistent.  If you put out a book every year or so, you'll be fine.  But overall, try not to worry about it.  Everyone has their own pace. :)

This advice meant a lot to me as a writer.  ^_^  It's something I've been struggling with.  I'm so thankful for the chance to meet him!

Lots of good questions here, boys and girls! I'll selfishly claim some credit for a lot of them because I am convinced Brandon was being generous as a result of how little time he had for us in Chicago, so he is making up for it with you guys. But good work nonetheless! :P

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Stubborn said:

I have returned!  I have to say although the line was long and the temps cold, it was well worth it.  Also met my real-life Sharder (shout-out if you see this), proves y'all aren't myths. 

Hide contents

Me (after pushing myself through being flustered): What is your inspiration for writing as much as you do?  I write books myself and I have trouble with concentration.

Mr. Sanderson: Well, you see I don't stick to word counts.  I focus on the overall word count bar going steadily up.  It's not so much how much you write, it's that you're consistent.  If you put out a book every year or so, you'll be fine.  But overall, try not to worry about it.  Everyone has their own pace. :)

This advice meant a lot to me as a writer.  ^_^  It's something I've been struggling with.  I'm so thankful for the chance to meet him!

Have you watched any of his writing classes or listened to Writing Excuses? I've done some of that out of pure curiosity (I have no plans to be an author) and I found much of it to be very interesting.

There's also a general page here: https://brandonsanderson.com/writing-advice/

Just now, kari-no-sugata said:

Have you watched any of his writing classes or listened to Writing Excuses? I've done some of that out of pure curiosity (I have no plans to be an author) and I found much of it to be very interesting.

There's also a general page here: https://brandonsanderson.com/writing-advice/

I actually have watched some of his writing classes (been awhile though, should watch them again tbh)!  But I'll be perusing that page.  Thanks for it!

2 hours ago, Ookla the Stubborn said:

Hide contents

Yo ;). We could still be bots though.

My question was sadly RAFO'd. Are we allowed to post Oathbringer spoilers in here?

Edit: Just checked, and we can. It's interesting that I got a RAFO and kalamitous_emoashions didn't, as my question was actually very similar...

Question: We've seen what Spren (may have specified dead-spren/Shardblade spren, can't remember, but that was the implication) look like in the Cognitive Realm now. What would an Invested Spike look like there?

Answer: RAFO.

Also on one of the questions kalamitous_emoashions asked, my thoughts:

I am so interested to know exactly what happened to Jezrien, that it 'could be classed as hemalurgy' by some in world philosophers, but Brandon isn't sure he counts it. Is it a different form of investiture we haven't seen? Or is this some shard specific power we don't know about?

Perhaps it depends on whether Hemalurgy is considered to be a Ruin-specific power, or whether anything which 'absorbs' Investiture could be considered Hemalurgy? i.e., is Hemalurgy the ability to steal attributes/Investiture specifically by accessing the power of Ruin, or is it just the broader ability to steal Investiture, without pinning it to any Shard?

Edited by Wyrmhero

24 minutes ago, Wyrmhero said:

Yo ;). We could still be bots though.

*waves furiously* You found me!  I should give you some sort of code to make sure you're not a bot.  I mean, you're human mannerisms are very convincing, but still...I don't trust someone who doesn't like London. :P

The recording won't be the whole event - the crew got kicked out when the main store closed - though we then got a 17th Shard Q&A session at the end after everyone else had gone.

I did 3 on my first go through that won't be in the recording(s); I had them signed in my books so have uploaded images below.

Spoiler

5a1e010866bea_IMG_14282.thumb.jpg.0cc811aad947212a0584e9f5ef2191ca.jpg

Spoiler

5a1e0102c65f7_IMG_14262.thumb.jpg.ee4ab806f0c4a6d2693623dedf2ec260.jpg

Spoiler

IMG_1427.thumb.jpg.e362e9cd71c3498310992e32295bc04c.jpg

Also one more that won't be on the recording a non-sharder in front of me showed Brandon the Kaladin chapter icon and asked if it's meant to look like an Aon, Brandon said no BUT there is something going on in that chapter icon.

3 hours ago, kari-no-sugata said:

I brought a present for Brandon - a copy of Surely you're joking Mr Feynman! Basically as a thank-you for creating Shallan. She's such a unique character and there's hardly anyone else like her in fiction (Moist von Lipwig from Discworld is a bit similar), and a few months ago I remembered the Feynman book (I had read it about 20 years ago). He's not the same as Shallan (he's a scientist first and an artist second) but he's rather similar at times in all sorts of ways - an early chapter talks about how he stole a door and got away with it by telling the truth :P

I was quite happy to see that copy of Surely you're joking Mr Feynman sitting on the table (it's a favourite of mine) - I hope he enjoys it!

31 minutes ago, Megasif said:

So this was the second time round in the queue, we were the last ones. Quicky scribbled this question on.

Make of it what you will, but thats Lift for me.

<snip>can I eat your lunch?<snip>

He's written that in some other peoples' books; it's one of his standard signing quotes. I guess he's moving towards using that one more, since people were either getting offended or looking for deep secrets when he would write "Are you listening?"

8 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

He's written that in some other peoples' books; it's one of his standard signing quotes. I guess he's moving towards using that one more, since people were either getting offended or looking for deep secrets when he would write "Are you listening?"

Didn't stop us from trying to find deep secrets in that quote either

8 hours ago, yurisses said:

And finally, the Sharder Q&A's bombshell that made it all worth it:

Reveal hidden contents

"Patji is a Shard" by which he meant the islands, and...

First of the Sun was referred to in Oathbringer's Letters.

The non-paraphrased transcript might shed more light on this. :D

Wow!!! 

Spoiler

So am I understanding this correctly Obrodai is First of Sun and there is a shard there and being held by a new vessel? 

44 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Wow!!! 

Hide contents

So am I understanding this correctly Obrodai is First of Sun and there is a shard there and being held by a new vessel? 

Probably not. 

Spoiler

I think First of the Sun might be the waters, with Obrodai as an aside mention.

And the Shard is probably another aspect of Autonomy. A splinter. 

18 hours ago, rjl said:

Also one more that won't be on the recording a non-sharder in front of me showed Brandon the Kaladin chapter icon and asked if it's meant to look like an Aon, Brandon said no BUT there is something going on in that chapter icon.

This line.  Got me to look at the chapter icon.  The moon and spears shape makes me think of the Scadrian steel alphabet more than an Aon. And seeing as a spear is the symbol for the church of the Survivor, that may be a better link for Kaladin than Aons.  Especially seeing as Kaladin always survives while those he tries to protect don't.

That may be a link to ask about.

@yurisses when the full recording is available there's a bit Brandon said to me about Red not always meaning what we think it means or something, it was in response to the questions in two of my books but I can't remember exactly what he said.

14 minutes ago, Stark said:

This line.  Got me to look at the chapter icon.  The moon and spears shape makes me think of the Scadrian steel alphabet more than an Aon. And seeing as a spear is the symbol for the church of the Survivor, that may be a better link for Kaladin than Aons.  Especially seeing as Kaladin always survives while those he tries to protect don't.

That may be a link to ask about.

Correction - this will be on @yurisses recording; so maybe wait for the actual quote before taking this anywhere - I was half asleep.