Mestiv

[OB] Oathbringer chapters 22-24

312 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Pagerunner said:

And the emphasis on stone in her manner of movement makes me think she's a cousin to something like a stonespren, the same way Syl is cousin to windspren. So, I'm holding out for a reveal that this spren is actually a Radiant spren, but returning back to the listeners instead of bonding Radiants. (Still holding a grudge over the Recreance.)

I really do like this idea. She is described as being yellow-white color of the center of a flame which is a very similar hue to amber. I think that if Brandon had stated that spren was amber colored it would have given away too much. I don't think it is a coincidence that the Shin people worship stone and that this spren, who has the potential to be a Stonewarden Spren, is described as having the same characteristics as someone from Shinovar. Perhaps the Shin started worshiping stone because the Stonewarden Spren looked so much like themselves.

I know it is a bit crackpotted and I am sure you fine folks will let me have it. (That isn't a condemnation of this board, I really do enjoy having my crackpot theories logically dissected(that wasn't sarcasm))

These weird smiles from the Dustbringer is absolutely a red herring:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Blacksmithki said:

I swear every single set of chapters is targeted at exactly what we have been discussing the last week.

It's almost like Brandon is writing a plot or something.

1 hour ago, dgenio8 said:

I think this must be a mistake... Because the first sentence after the preface is "Dalinar remembered."

It's definitely a mistake. They've already fixed it on the page. 

Just now, masaru said:

It's almost like Brandon is writing a plot or something.

I mean in terms of the small details, like weeks ago there was a discussion about something that had not come up in the book, and the next chapter answered it (renarin and his powers), or the discussion about spanreeds needing stormlight. This week the main theories about Dalinar's memory had to do with his bond in some way, there wasn't much in the way of discussion about any other causes (only the occasional comment) and this week we learn otherwise. Almost every theory getting a ton of information the very next week.

Wasn't the weird spren following Eshonai in the WoR described as a yellow comet? Could this be the same spren leading Parshmen to Eshonai? 

The spren would have had to bonded someone quite well for her to reach that level of sentience and none of the Parshmen seem like a good candidate. 

I wonder why Taravangian chose to meet Dalinar on a day where his intelligence is below average?  You'd think he find an excuse to stall for a day when his morning IQ tests came back poorly.

I definitely don't think he's faking it either.  His adviser is repeatedly poking him to tell him to stop talking, and he clearly feels regret for many of the actions that he has committed (his intelligence and empathy are inversely related in his condition).

Maybe he wanted to meet Dalinar on a "high empathy" day to reconsider some of the actions that he has taken?

20 minutes ago, frozndevl said:

As has been discussed before, I don't think that the wording of the request is critical at all. The Nightwatcher seems to give people what she (he?) thinks is most appropriate, regardless of the request. I think that Navani focusing on that is a red herring.

I still believe that the wording is important. What if the memories are returning because now Dalinar, in a happy relationship with Navani, is better equipped to deal with the loss of his wife. If the boon/curse was to remove the memories that brought him intense pain then perhaps Dalinar's current incarnation now has the tools to deal with all those painful memories.

The whole "smarter than I" thing in the epigraph feels like Taravangian to me. He has also spoken about being a heretic, and is a popurarly suggested proto-Bondsmith. This is the Bondsmith book. And Taravangian already feels dumb, on some days, and if he discovers some glaring hole in the Diagram, he will feel even dumber.

Wow guys. So much good stuff. My biggest takeaways are:

Probably an Aviar

I'm fairly convinced now that Tezim is either Ishar or Jezrien. Everyone else has hit on the reasons why so I won't repeat them here.

Mr. T...Hard to tell if faking or not. I'm going to say not, but still definitely working towards a predetermined goal in his prodding.

I cannot wait for whatever the twist with the "voidspren" is. I mean come on guys it can't be straightforward at this point. Too many little hints from Brandon that all is not as it seems. I'm digging the possibility of Stonewarden spren but not sure how exactly that is going to work.

Oh and RELEASER! Finally. I've been really curious about them for a while. Excited to finally get one introduced.

4 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

I wonder why Taravangian chose to meet Dalinar on a day where his intelligence is below average?  You'd think he find an excuse to stall for a day when his morning IQ tests came back poorly.

I definitely don't think he's faking it either.  His adviser is repeatedly poking him to tell him to stop talking, and he clearly feels regret for many of the actions that he has committed (his intelligence and empathy are inversely related in his condition).

Maybe he wanted to meet Dalinar on a "high empathy" day to reconsider some of the actions that he has taken?

To me, Taravangian meeting Dalinar on a dumb day is a smart move. It's a great cover. The dumb, empathetic Mr. T is more likely to get more out of Dalinar than a keen and intelligent Mr. T. Adrotagia is there to keep him out of trouble, but is also there to listen/observe Dalinar's unguarded answers and actions. And all the while, no one suspecting Mr. T of any sort of heinous activity or future betrayal. 

1 minute ago, Toaster Retribution said:

The whole "smarter than I" thing in the epigraph feels like Taravangian to me. He has also spoken about being a heretic, and is a popurarly suggested proto-Bondsmith. This is the Bondsmith book. And Taravangian already feels dumb, on some days, and if he discovers some glaring hole in the Diagram, he will feel even dumber.

I really like this idea.  I never thought it was Jasnah, but was pretty dead set on Navani.  After the three new prefaces, especially the line 'I have no doubt that you are smarter than I am,' I'm off the Navani bandwagon.

The rambling and pseudo admissions of guilt fits a 'humbled' Mr. T, and reading the text as a whole, I really can't see any contradictions.  (Assuming 1. he gets into Shadesmar at some point - feasible, and 2. he's been working with Gavilar for a long while, and has had 'heretical' ideas since childhood. "Perhaps my heresy stretches back to those days in my childhood, where these ideas began."  Also very feasible.)

This in world book could very well be Diagram 2.0, but from a super compassionate ('dumb' day) Mr. T this time around.

No one has realized that Szeth went after all monarchs except Taravangian.

2 minutes ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

I really like this idea.  I never thought it was Jasnah, but was pretty dead set on Navani.  After the three new prefaces, especially the line 'I have no doubt that you are smarter than I am,' I'm off the Navani bandwagon.

The rambling and pseudo admissions of guilt fits a 'humbled' Mr. T, and reading the text as a whole, I really can't see any contradictions.  (Assuming 1. he gets into Shadesmar at some point - feasible, and 2. he's been working with Gavilar for a long while, and has had 'heretical' ideas since childhood. "Perhaps my heresy stretches back to those days in my childhood, where these ideas began."  Also very feasible.)

This in world book could very well be Diagram 2.0, but from a super compassionate ('dumb' day) Mr. T this time around.

It's possible. These three epigraphs have definitely moved me out of the Jasnah camp.

I'm kind of thinking that the author of the epigraphs could be Adolin. If it isn't someone from the past, he seems the most likely candidate to me. He's far from scholarly, doesn't think he's that smart, has some things to confess to... Definitely not Jasnah or Navani, not Shallan... I don't get a Dalinar vibe from it either.

So, what power do you guys think Mraize's Aviar gives him?

Just now, DSC01 said:

The power to be a giant douche.

1 minute ago, DSC01 said:

The ability to sense Investiture in a person. 

3 minutes ago, DSC01 said:

The power to be a badass.

He's already a badass if he can get through the perpendicularity on First of the Sun! Khriss said that none of the expeditions from Silverlight had returned... Which I assume is why the Ones Above eventually came via space instead of the CR.

3 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

The power to be a badass.

Every time I see Mraize and his scars are described I keep wanting him to ask, "Wanna know how I got these scars?" And then tell a weird story about worldhopping with his abusive father. :lol:

Mraize is the Joker confirmed.

Wait, doesn't that Spren look more like Cultivation Spren, then Odiumspren? We just assumed that Voidspren would be the ones leading Parshmen, but what if it's Cultivation making a move of her own. Granted, it's unknown, whose side she is on. 

8 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

The power to be a giant douche.

No one has ever needed the help of a chicken to be that.

6 minutes ago, DSC01 said:

I'm going to get a little tinfoil hatty, but it involves Sixth of the Dusk spoilers.

Spoiler

Mraize's bird itself it NOT from Patji.  It's from Roshar.  Mraize went and got the plant/flower that grants the birds the ability, and fed it to his Roshar bird.  Thus, the bird's ability is more Roshar specific.  And from a story perspective, would be something that gives Mraize a nice advantage against Radiants, specifically the one he is directly working with and doesn't like him much.

I'll go out on a limb and say his bird somehow interferes with the bonds between people and spren.