[OB] Oathbringer chapters 22-24

Mestiv

“I can give you the whole bunker,” the merchant said. “Was supposed to be renting it to some caravans out of Revolar, but they didn’t show.”

“What happened?”

“Don’t know,” he said. “But it’s storming strange, I’d say. Three caravans, with different masters and goods, all gone silent. Not even a runner to give me word. Glad I took ten percent up front.”

Revolar. It was Vamah’s seat, the largest city between here and Kholinar.

Now we are talking! Fascinating, seems Kholinar isn't the only city to have gone silent. Or could just be chaos after the parhsmen left maybe.

“Strange times, Corporal.

Huh? Is Kaladin prettending to be a lighteyes, or is Corporal the highest darkeyes can go? Hmm, I'm leaning that he popped up the sylblade to lighten his eyes for the authority.

Kaladin nodded. The Everstorm had hit again the day before, its second occurrence—not counting the initial one that had only come in the far east. Kaladin and the parshmen had weathered this one, upon warning from the unseen spren, in an abandoned mine.

I thought the Everstorm was slower than the Highstorm. Or maybe its because of the hijacked time. Nice info that parshmen don't change into new (void)forms with it.

Seems voidspren can predict everstorms, (or feel them coming). And radiant spren the highstorms.

“Would you fight for us, deserter?” she asked.

“Would I be allowed?”

“My kind aren’t nearly as inclined toward discrimination as yours. If you can carry a spear and take orders, then I certainly wouldn’t turn you away.” She folded her arms, smiling in a strangely knowing way. “The final decision won’t be mine. I am but a messenger.

:o:o:wacko:. You are telling me even Voidspren aren't minions of evil that just want to destroy the world???? I thought parshmen would just be people, but I did expect Voidspren to be hateful, angry, etc. O.o

12 minutes ago, Agent34 said:

We're rather certain Ash is Baxxil's (or Baxil) mistress from the interlude and she has dark skin which wasn't mentioned in the description of our newest Radiant.

She is supposed to be a stunning beauty. I think Dalinar would have mentioned that. 

12 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

I will go on record against the Ishar = Tezim theory. Ishar has said the Oathpact is broken. Why would he claim to be its bearer? The Heralds are in hiding, so I think this person isn't a Herald at all. But if it were, who would be the Herald of Heralds? Who is the King of Heralds? It's not Ishar - it's Jezrien. I can kinda see a case for Jezrien being Tezim. But not Ishar.

Ishar is mad. Completely batshit crazy. Ishar thought the Oathpact would break when the Heralds abandoned humanity, but he might have changed his mind. Either that, or his madness just makes him give himself fancy titles. He is supposed to be pious and guiding. This letter is pretty much as much of a perversion of pious as you can get. I am basically convinced that he is Tezim.

3 minutes ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

Huh? Is Kaladin prettending to be a lighteyes, or is Corporal the highest darkeyes can go? Hmm, I'm leaning that he popped up the sylblade to lighten his eyes for the authority.

I think your first guess is right. The voidspren would notice that, the blade or the effects. The lighteyes is assuming 

Just now, Wittiest man alive said:

My theory on the memories returning is that the painrail is what is helping him remember. “I asked to have my pain taken away, and she took memories too.” If the painrail is doing it’s job and dampening the pain maybe it is breaking the nightwatchers power. 

It is an interesting thought, but I don't think it works like that. Dalinar has been in physical pain before. Had the Nightwatcher interpreted it as "taking away all pain, physical and mental" Dalinar wouldn't have been feeling anything at all when he got beaten up in combat, but he does.

Mraize and Ialai is about as expected, for me anyway. Adolin and Ialai...that went better than I thought.  I'm still curious about where this is going and how the reveal is eventually going to work out - it has to come out eventually.  I'm also still curious as to whether the darkness in Urithiru is a direct result to the murder or just coincidentally timed - meaning the difference between whether the darkness was already there and the murder possibly gave it shape and direction, or it wasn't there and the darkness gave it a gateway in.  Amaram showing up again...that could get right weird. Or he could end up dead relatively shortly, as Mraize has been after him for some time.  Where the hell is Taln in all this?

Kaladin...well, I'm not sure what he hopes to accomplish with this.  Talking with a voidspren...that was an interesting little scene.  I think the voidspren suspects him of Radiance but cannot yet prove it. 

Taravangian is one hell of an actor.  I'm pretty sure that if he wasn't reasonably intelligent (not overly smart or overly stupid) on this day they'd have backed out of coming saying he was sick or some such.  Having a Dustbringer in tow...wow.  Did not see that coming.  Really want a pov from her now.  Dalinar is becoming more and more perceptive politically, as in he is better able to see what others see and discern from his actions as opposed to what he is actually trying to accomplish.  And now he sees the rock his oath places him upon - a potential way forward to obey his oath to unite would be to act as the Blackthorn and force others to submit.  It's not what he wants...but I wonder if his hand will be forced into it if things get bad quickly.

Is it possible that Tezim is Taln?  Brandon has been dodging identifying the man called Taln for a while, and it definitely appears that his mind is elsewhere.  I think the main tip off is the title of "bearer of the oathpact" which would seem odd for Ishar, who abandoned the oathpact.  The other male heralds also have the problem of having abandoned the oathpact; Taln is the only one who could fill this title. 

So, here’s what we know about Malata, our wonderful new Dustbringer. 

Spoiler

a middle-aged lighteyed woman wearing a skirt and blouse, after a Southern style, with the top buttons of the blouse undone. Her hair was short in a boyish cut, and she wore gloves on both hands.

Spoiler

Now the woman, Malata, leaned idly against the side of the balcony. She hadn’t spoken much during their tour of the first three levels, and when she looked at Dalinar, she always seemed to have a hint of a smile on her lips.

She carried a wealth of spheres in her skirt pocket; the light shone through the fabric.

All we know beyond that is that her spren told her she’s a Dustbringer, she’s able to summon a Blade, and that Dalinar doesn’t like the way she smiles. 

Dalinar’s suspicions aside, the fact that she can summon her Blade and her claim that her spren told her she’s a Releaser makes me think that she’s not using an Honorblade. Not only is it unlikely that some random middle-aged lighteyes would be able to get her hands on a Shin Honorblade, but to also know that Radiants have to bond spren (unless it’s common knowledge now) suggests that she actually managed to bond a spren. 

I also doubt she’d lie about her order. If, somehow, she was able to get her hands on an Honorblade, and knew enough about the Radiants to under spren and bonds and all that, she’d likely know that the Releasers are not the most popular Order. If someone were to impersonate a Radiant, I’d bet they’d pick something safer to fake, like a Skybreaker or Edgedancer, and just say she hasn’t figured out her other Surge. 

Meandering speculation aside, aka tldr, I think she’s a real Releaser, and I’m curious why she’s wearing two gloves, not just a safehand one. 

1 minute ago, BrightVoid said:

Is it possible that Tezim is Taln?  Brandon has been dodging identifying the man called Taln for a while, and it definitely appears that his mind is elsewhere.  I think the main tip off is the title of "bearer of the oathpact" which would seem odd for Ishar, who abandoned the oathpact.  The other male heralds also have the problem of having abandoned the oathpact; Taln is the only one who could fill this title. 

Could be a sign of Ishar (or whichever Herald's) madness.  Claiming they are the bearer of the oathpact when in fact they abandoned it.  Either as an internal way of avoiding reality and their actions, or in the sense of 'I bear the pain of the oathpact, what it's caused and the consequences of our decision.'

1 minute ago, Nashan'Elin said:

So, here’s what we know about Malata, our wonderful new Dustbringer. 

Reveal hidden contents

a middle-aged lighteyed woman wearing a skirt and blouse, after a Southern style, with the top buttons of the blouse undone. Her hair was short in a boyish cut, and she wore gloves on both hands.

Reveal hidden contents

Now the woman, Malata, leaned idly against the side of the balcony. She hadn’t spoken much during their tour of the first three levels, and when she looked at Dalinar, she always seemed to have a hint of a smile on her lips.

She carried a wealth of spheres in her skirt pocket; the light shone through the fabric.

All we know beyond that is that her spren told her she’s a Dustbringer, she’s able to summon a Blade, and that Dalinar doesn’t like the way she smiles. 

Dalinar’s suspicions aside, the fact that she can summon her Blade and her claim that her spren told her she’s a Releaser makes me think that she’s not using an Honorblade. Not only is it unlikely that some random middle-aged lighteyes would be able to get her hands on a Shin Honorblade, but to also know that Radiants have to bond spren (unless it’s common knowledge now) suggests that she actually managed to bond a spren. 

I also doubt she’d lie about her order. If, somehow, she was able to get her hands on an Honorblade, and knew enough about the Radiants to under spren and bonds and all that, she’d likely know that the Releasers are not the most popular Order. If someone were to impersonate a Radiant, I’d bet they’d pick something safer to fake, like a Skybreaker or Edgedancer, and just say she hasn’t figured out her other Surge. 

Meandering speculation aside, aka tldr, I think she’s a real Releaser, and I’m curious why she’s wearing two gloves, not just a safehand one. 

Not to mention her knowing about the Releaser name. Is that something anyone could know?

51 minutes ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

The Tezim=Ishar theory just went up a few points in my book.  If the connection wasn't so blatant in Dalinar's chapter, I'd be fully on board.

Likewise did the 'Dalinar asked to forget his wife' theory, and thus he is remembering Evi because he has a new wife.  (If/when he starts forgetting Navani those scenes could be brutal to read.)

The phrasing used by Dalinar in his request of the Nightwatcher is sooooo critical. That is the piece of dialogue I am looking forward to most I think.

7 minutes ago, Wittiest man alive said:

My theory on the memories returning is that the painrail is what is helping him remember. “I asked to have my pain taken away, and she took memories too.” If the painrail is doing it’s job and dampening the pain maybe it is breaking the nightwatchers power. 

Painrials only numb pain (they're a dminishing fabrial), and it doesn't make sense for something that's designed for physical pain to help with emotional pain , or the lack thereof, in this case.

3 minutes ago, Nashan'Elin said:

Maybe Dustbringers rely on touch to do what they do, and she isn't able to control it very well yet. Yes, I realize that her power could also do something to the gloves, but that is usually just glossed over. Also, does Jah Kaved or Mr Ts hometown follow the safehand rules, I can't remember?

A couple other random thoughts

• I thought it was pretty clear that Mr T wasn't really stupid today, as he was smart enough to make comments that Adro****** made him stop talking with a touch.
  • The Shin eyes for our yellow spren is interesting. I'm definitely on board with it being some sort of earth based spren, and the yellow color also to me fits in with the yellow/brown color usually reserved for Earth magic in fantasy settings. But of course, with Brandon, I'm totally wrong on that. Also interesting that she kept the Parshmen from turning into real Voidbringers during the next passing of the everstorm.
  • The Mraize subplot continues to bore me to tears, I don't know if I've just forgotten that storyline from WoR, but Mraize just doesn't do anything for me.
  • Green chicken with a hooked beak, yeah, that's a Parrot.

5 minutes ago, Agent34 said:

Not to mention her knowing about the Releaser name. Is that something anyone could know?

A Releaser. Dustbringer, though they don’t like the term. She claims her spren told her that.

Seems like her spren knows.

5 minutes ago, Ramza1890 said:

The phrasing used by Dalinar in his request of the Nightwatcher is sooooo critical. That is the piece of dialogue I am looking forward to most I think.

As has been discussed before, I don't think that the wording of the request is critical at all. The Nightwatcher seems to give people what she (he?) thinks is most appropriate, regardless of the request. I think that Navani focusing on that is a red herring.

Great chapters! It is uncanny how it seems like Brandon predicts our thoughts before we even had them and answers them as we go along. 

Holy crap does Mriaze have an Avia? Dang Mriaze is going to rat Kaladin out! I am really glad this scene went the way it did. It is much more interesting to have Shallan involved with the Ghostbloods glad she didn't get made. What the heck is the Ghostbloods up to? Using the Voidbringers? Glad to see confirmation there is some supernatural force infesting Urithiru and undoubtable linked to the murders. Adolin handled the situation like a boss. Amaran is back! 

Hmm caravans missing more Listeners gathering supplies? Ok so this is what a Voidbringer spren looks like? Or is it really a Voidbringer spren? Could a spren of another order be bonding with one of the Listeners? If so how is the spren so smart? Could the Everstorm be speeding up the process? Why does she look like a Shin? Why are they gathering?

A Dustbringer!! I know it is not possible but couldn't help but think of Vin when she was described. I don't buy Mr. T's daftness. It's an act. He wouldn't go to a meeting this important on one of his stupid days. He is trying to figure out Dalinar's plans and playing stupid is the best approach. Wonder what other plans he has. 

6 minutes ago, Agent34 said:

Only everyone who's ever read Words of Radiance.

And when they were spoken of by the common folk, the Releasers claimed to be misjudged because of the dreadful nature of their power; and when they dealt with others, always were they firm in their claim that other epithets, notably ‘Dustbringers,’ often heard in the common speech, were unacceptable substitutions, in particular for their similarity to the word ‘Voidbringers.’ They did also exercise anger in great prejudice regarding it, though to many who speak, there was little difference between these two assemblies.

—From Words of Radiance , chapter 17, page 11

Words of Radiance - Chapter 36, A New Woman

He assumed that he’d gone to the Nightwatcher to be rid of the pain at losing her, and the spren had taken his other memories as payment. He didn’t know for certain, but that seemed right.

So, contrary to his claims he did not know his curse and boon.

Bargains with the Nightwatcher were supposed to be permanent. Damning, even. So what was happening to him?

Feel free to share with the class when you figure it out -_-.

At the head of the newcomers was a man in burnt orange robes. Aged, with a kindly, clean-shaven face, he stood with his head tipped back and jaw lowered as he regarded the city. Near him stood a woman with silvery hair pulled up in a bun. Adrotagia, the head Kharbranthian scribe.

Groan. Couldn't this particular group wait, I don't know some more 100 chapters to come to Urithiru?

This man had been a friend to Gavilar; that was good enough for Dalinar.

Oh Dalinar. Isn't Amaram enough proof that you should take a long careful look at Gavilar's friends?

Taravangian smiled at Dalinar, then licked his lips. He seemed to have forgotten what he wanted to say, and had to glance at the woman beside him for support. She whispered, and he spoke loudly after the reminder.

My first thought is T was milking his role for all he was worth. But might just have been a stupid day I guess.

Or… well, someone might have muscled him out of power, and acted like king in all but name. Dalinar sighed softly, but kept a firm grip on his guilt.

I had to laugh at that one. :D

He looked toward Dalinar, and surprisingly there were tears in his pale grey eyes. “I do not think you and I are destined for such a glorious place. Men of blood and sorrow don’t get an ending like that, Dalinar Kholin.”

After this I think T was just on a dumb day.

“A Releaser. Dustbringer, though they don’t like the term. She claims her spren told her that.” He rubbed his chin. “I don’t like how she smiles.”

I imagine that will be fun to see. If its true. 

Another question he didn’t know the answer to. He’d need to see if he could determine whether her Shardblade was only that, or if it might be another Honorblade in disguise.

I like seeing Dalinar is a bit more paranoid than before.

The Stormfather rumbled. Why would she want me to say more? I have spoken, and spren do not change like men. This is not my doing. It is not the bond.

There goes my favorite theory regarding Dalinar's memories. Auch, things are looking bad, and inclining more in the direction of he will start forgetting Navani soon.

‘A warning,’” Navani read, “ ‘from Tezim the Great, last and first man, Herald of Heralds and bearer of the Oathpact. His grandness, immortality, and power be praised. Lift up your heads and hear, men of the east, of your God’s proclamation

Hello there crazy Herald.

Hihihhi. If nothing else Tezim will be fun to read.

If our plan to reclaim Kholinar works, he thought, wouldn’t it make sense to take the other gates the same way? Nobody would be able to fight both us and the Voidbringers. We could seize their capitals and force them—for their own good— to join our unified war effort.

Dalinar with a hint of Blackthorn is a delight to read. Just a hint though, too much was...too much.