[OB] Oathbringer chapters 22-24

Mestiv

Woop, got my wording on Dalinar's request almost perfect in an earlier post so I'm smug about that. 

Also as a reminder, "chicken" is Alethi/Rosharan for bird. Which changes the look of the scene significantly. 

And good reason to believe that Jasnah is not the author - She's one of the smartest living Alethi, if her reputation is anything to go off. 

Why is Taravangian so likable? I feel a bit evil because of how much I want to side with him...

Epigraphs are kinda useful now! 

Kaladin....... I feel conflicted. 

I assume Mraize is just manipulating Shallan with the Helaran stuff because he's dead..... I still feel a twinge of doubt though.

Confirmation that Shallan being creeped out by Urithiru is something real!  I'm guessing it's related to whatever is causing the copycat murders.  Also, I think Mraize will tell her that Kaladin was the one who killed Helaran and it will cause all sorts of conflict!

Okay... A lot to unpack this week. Lets start with the preface.  I'm almost thinking the preface sounds like Adolin, filtered through the scribe writing it.  Kind of like Gavilar's account of the first encounter with the listeners.

Speaking of listeners, Mraize referred to them as listeners!  Not parshendi. Listeners. 

I don’t think they align to those of anyone else, human or listener.

Also, Mraize appears to be either a pirate, or is continuing to show off a worldhopper collection be having an aviar on his shoulder.  So what gift does this aviar give that benefits him?

Heleran.  Boo.  Reveal that it was Kaladin, not Amaram, and further work to divide the protagonists. Boo-urns.

For Kaladin, something is going to go wrong in the barracks.  The Lighteyes will get curious or something.

Also, our curiously intelligent yellow spren who knows way to much and is being very coy, but also likely has guessed that Kal may be bound to a honorspren.  I don't think she buys the crem he is shoveling.  So the whole hiding as a slave among them is going to come to a head a lot sooner than expected.  That will probably happen in this part.  I hope that goes well. But am worried.

Mr T. arrived with a Dustbringer.  I am so curious about the other orders I almost care nothing for the rest of the chapter, and want more info on this new woman.

Mr. T subtly feeling out whether Dalinar is taking the path of the Warlord or the path of the diplomat.  damnation.  We knew it was coming, but it was so damnation sneaky that if we did not know of his ulterior motives, I would have missed it.  It is really neat to watch the interactions with his minders from an outsider's perspective who is not in the know.

Ialai and Adolin.  That went better than anticipated.  I'm proud of Adolin for not being violent, but also for cutting through the double speak to get right to the core. Not Dalinar.  But her counter stroke was magnificent, and exactingly correct.  One of Dalinar's soldiers trying to do him a favor outside of orders.  damnation, this is going to get fun.

Additional thoughts after reading the comments that appeared while I typed this:  A sense of dread developed when the Stormfather confirmed he is not the healer.  Which mean both the Boon and curse are still functional, making them conditionals?  That is terrifying.  What is the condition.  What is the new thing to disappear.

And Urithiru is haunted.  That's nice.  Leave a sleeping agent of evil.  Not an unmade, but one of the creations to screw with the next  rounds heros while they learn.  That seems hateful enough to make sense.  And Mraize wants neither side to come out on top, he wants balance for nefarious purposes!  That is scary.

Edited by Stark
More thoughts

He found himself standing at that window beside Taravangian, staring out over the mountains, his memories of Evi carrying with them a fresh and dangerous perspective.

The last line was a little confusing to me, what is the fresh, dangerous perspective?

Heh, looks like having 1 week to ponder "what happens next" led my imagination to go into overdrive. Not much to say about Shallan's chapter except I was hoping for more. Is Mraize actually telling the truth? He didn't come across as being nearly so dangerous as before.

Kaladin's chapter was quite interesting though, but still fairly low key.

Dalinar finally gets a follow-up chapter and various things have happened. Hello Mr T, how goes? Feeling the empathy a bit strongly today? I'm feeling a bit nervous about there being a Dustbringer here. I don't think we've heard of this person before. I couldn't find any references at least.

Some fun stuff in this week's chapters.

• Mraize has an aviar. It's gotta be an aviar. I wonder what it does, though? I'll need to check if its description matches either of the aviar powers we've seen.
  • Mraize refers to the "listeners." No humans call them that - they call them parshmen or Parshendi. I take that as further evidence he's an offworlder, although it could mean he's just ancient.
  • This short glimpse into the Ghostblood's motives, of playing both sides against one another, makes me think of Hoid's earlier statement that he would let this world burn to get what he wanted. What are the Ghostbloods up to?
  • The mystery of Urithiru is something that a lot of people had caught on to, so it's nice to have something out in the open. I think that it will tie in with the murders, like we discussed a few weeks ago, either something about the city or a murderous spren.
  • Man, I just can't get it out of my head that this Voidspren isn't a Voidspren. Syl has been hiding, so she hasn't actually interacted with her. And everything she does... well, if we hadn't been told she was a Voidspren, I wouldn't have thought she was one. She definitely knows Kaladin is a Radiant, why he can sense the storms. And the emphasis on stone in her manner of movement makes me think she's a cousin to something like a stonespren, the same way Syl is cousin to windspren. So, I'm holding out for a reveal that this spren is actually a Radiant spren, but returning back to the listeners instead of bonding Radiants. (Still holding a grudge over the Recreance.)
  • The eyes on the Voidspren are interesting, in that they aren't typical Rosharan eyes. They're like Shin eyes... but the Shin don't have spren, so she can't be a Shin spren. I guess it's because she's a Splinter of Odium, so she (and other Voidspren) are driven by Rayse's perception of humanity.
  • Dalinar wonders why he's healing. We've all been there, bro.
  • Nice to get a Dustbringer. There would have to be a lot going on behind the scenes for her to have an Honorblade, and she is from Vedenar (not Kharbranth), so I think she's for real, not a trick of Taravangian's. Let's see some Division action! More Surges!

1 minute ago, Ryder said:

The last line was a little confusing to me, what is the fresh, dangerous perspective?

Dalinar is considering going back to his warmongering ways and making everyone work together by force of arms.  Basically, unite them through war.

1 minute ago, Pagerunner said:

Some fun stuff in this week's chapters.

• Mraize has an aviar. It's gotta be an aviar. I wonder what it does, though? I'll need to check if its description matches either of the aviar powers we've seen.
  • Mraize refers to the "listeners." No humans call them that - they call them parshmen or Parshendi. I take that as further evidence he's an offworlder, although it could mean he's just ancient.
  • This short glimpse into the Ghostblood's motives, of playing both sides against one another, makes me think of Hoid's earlier statement that he would let this world burn to get what he wanted. What are the Ghostbloods up to?
  • The mystery of Urithiru is something that a lot of people had caught on to, so it's nice to have something out in the open. I think that it will tie in with the murders, like we discussed a few weeks ago, either something about the city or a murderous spren.
  • Man, I just can't get it out of my head that this Voidspren isn't a Voidspren. Syl has been hiding, so she hasn't actually interacted with her. And everything she does... well, if we hadn't been told she was a Voidspren, I wouldn't have thought she was one. She definitely knows Kaladin is a Radiant, why he can sense the storms. And the emphasis on stone in her manner of movement makes me think she's a cousin to something like a stonespren, the same way Syl is cousin to windspren. So, I'm holding out for a reveal that this spren is actually a Radiant spren, but returning back to the listeners instead of bonding Radiants. (Still holding a grudge over the Recreance.)
  • The eyes on the Voidspren are interesting, in that they aren't typical Rosharan eyes. They're like Shin eyes... but the Shin don't have spren, so she can't be a Shin spren. I guess it's because she's a Splinter of Odium, so she (and other Voidspren) are driven by Rayse's perception of humanity.
  • Dalinar wonders why he's healing. We've all been there, bro.
  • Nice to get a Dustbringer. There would have to be a lot going on behind the scenes for her to have an Honorblade, and she is from Vedenar (not Kharbranth), so I think she's for real, not a trick of Taravangian's. Let's see some Division action! More Surges!

Potential stonespren and Shin appearance seems like too much of a coincidence considering how sacred stone is to the Shin.

The Tezim=Ishar theory just went up a few points in my book.  If the connection wasn't so blatant in Dalinar's chapter, I'd be fully on board.

Likewise did the 'Dalinar asked to forget his wife' theory, and thus he is remembering Evi because he has a new wife.  (If/when he starts forgetting Navani those scenes could be brutal to read.)

A wild thought. Could the Everstorm has done something to the nightwatcher herself? Or does it bring "connection" and "identity" to reverse her boons/curses?

Navani should be trying to find out if anyone else is currently having their boon/curse affected.

oh snap.

Taravingian.

The fandom has ruined me. I couldn't make it past "the chicken on his shoulder" before busting into an uncontrollable fit of giggles on the metro. I can't wait for the day Shallan hears a parrot speak and freaks out.

I love how Sanderson can write something that causes the fandon to freak out and then the next page just destroys all the theories that were made.

The golden spren actually creeped me out a little, since this spren seems to be even more 'intelligent' than Syl or Pattern!

And finally, I do not trust the Dustbringer at all. Thankfully if she tries anything Dalinar will make short work of her.

(Also,we got a little bit more info on what the Ghostbloods are trying to do.)

Just now, Agent34 said:

Potential stonespren and Shin appearance seems like too much of a coincidence considering how sacred stone is to the Shin.

Stone is also somewhat sacred to the Listeners.  Parshmen don't do much on their own, but when their people die they take the body out and leave it on the stone.  The Parshendi leave their bodies where they fall on the shattered plains, which is always stone I think, and they very strongly object to them being moved.    

3 minutes ago, Ryder said:

what is the fresh, dangerous perspective

A lot of those memories come from him at the height of his reputation as the Blackthorn, when he was most bitter about Navani.  When he was the most dangerous force Gavilar could unleash.  A lot of those memories coming back could fill in some holes that bring the Blackthorn out of retirement.  

You know, the one who killed children to get swords?  And ate off of assassin's blades?  That is all dangerous stuff to have come back to you, especially remembering how effective it was, if shortsighted, when he was far less powerful than he is now...

2 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

On the other hand, the Shin revere stone.

Maybe the appearance is related to this?