[OB] Oathbringer chapters 22-24

Mestiv

• Mestiv unpinned and featured this topic

Could the Oathbringer be written by Evi?

She is believed to be dead and she is a heretic.

“And she made no mention of the Almighty—instead she spoke of something called the One, a heretical tradition the ardents told him came from Iri.”

She might have killed her brother or maybe she might have killed Dalinar metaphorically by taking away all her memories from him?

I don't think it's written by Dalinar cause

1 he is not believed to be dead yet

2 Men on Roshar do not write it is believed ti be Feminine trait.

3 How can Dalinar enter Shadesmar?

4 If Dalinar started confessing for all the murders he has committed then we would need another book filled with Dalinar confession only. 

"I will confess my murders before you. Most painfully, I have killed someone who loved me dearly."

It must be someone who has committed few murders. which can be listed in epigraphs of one book.

Thoughts?

I'm jumping in again because I want to toss my notes -- but still have a record of my thoughts/reactions.  Super selfish of me, I know. I haven't read anything in this thread yet -- but hope too when I catch up on this current weeks thread. 

Chapter 22: Darkness Within

Mraize!  I used to be afraid of you. 

You have a chicken on your shoulder.  Now I think you are funny. Why is your chicken green?  Is it because you are in Sadeas's camp?

I'm beginning to think that you might be one of the good-guys that actually wants to help Roshar and its inhabitants.

Halberd = What the heck is a halberd? @The Invested Beard is this something you know about? I mean you both have berd/beard in your name.  You just gotta know.

halberd = a combined spear & battle ax (since I didn't actually post this right away I looked it up myself)

ok -- so we are using lamps.  Zero, zilch, nada infused spheres

“Can you tell us of anyone who might have had the opportunity and motive for killing your husband?” Adolin said. “Other than my father, Brightness.”

I guess that question is truthful enough.

“It’s strange,” Adolin snapped. “My mother always said she thought you were clever. She admired you, and wished she had your wit.

Wasn't expecting mother memories from Adolin, but I will take every tidbit I can about Evi.

The next room was much smaller, cut out of the same stone as the others, but with a muted pattern of strata. Oranges and reds that blended together so evenly you could almost pretend the wall was all one hue. Ialai’s people had been using it for storage, as evidenced by the chairs in one corner.

What is the pattern with the patterns on the strata?

OK -- So it is confirmed that Ialai is not a ghostblood.

So what is it that Mraize knows about the Davar brothers? Perhaps he will tell her who really killed Helaran?

Meridas Amaram???  I knew he would show up again. Leading the investigation eh? This is getting very interesting.

Color & Spren Observations for Chapter 22 spoiled/hidden for length

SPREN OBSERVATIONS for Oathbringer Chapter 22: Darkness Within

none noted

COLOR OBSERVATIONS for Oathbringer Chapter 22: Darkness Within

green chicken

whitespines

oranges and reds (muted strata)

white knuckled hands

redness (eyes crying)

blue uniform

Chapter 23: Storming Strange

Kaladin is looking after the entire world -- or so it seems. He does well at watching out for others.

Khen (the woman)

Hesn

gotta remember those people/names

Color & Spren Observations for Chapter 22 spoiled/hidden for length

Spoiler

SPREN OBSERVATIONS for Oathbringer Chapter 23: Storming Strange

voidspren

glowing yellow spren

COLOR OBSERVATIONS for Oathbringer Chapter 23: Storming Strange

blue uniform

light yellow eyes

glowing yellow (spren)

not blue-white (like Sly)

goldenstone

yellow-white color of flame

glowing yellow spren

Chapter 24: Men of Blood & Sorrow

Yes -- that was a typo.  Dalinar only remembered once. Looks like Tor fixed it online now.

Evi -- I'm so sad that there is not any love between the two of them.  I'm hoping that they will grow to love eachother. Attraction is good -- but not enough.

He didn’t know for certain, but that seemed right.

Dalinar -- you may not know; or want to know -- but I want to know for certain what happen with you and Evi!

Bracer clocks -- those seem interesting -- are they interfering with Dalinar somehow?

(Mistborn Spoiler; Era 1)

Spoiler

Kinda like the jewelry Vin wore? her earring.

What is the other device Navani is talking about ?

How did they find Malata?

Strange Illness -- 5 years ago.  Is that when he went to the Nightwatcher and became super intelligent? I'm unsure on the timing of this.  That means it was after Gavilar's death.

Fav Quote:

“The soldier’s way. Deal with today’s problems, then sleep and deal with tomorrow’s problems tomorrow.”

Navani, he thought. On my arm. It still gave him a heady, surreal feeling. Dreamlike, as if this were one of his visions. He could vividly remember desiring her. Thinking about her, captivated by the way she talked, the things she knew, the look of her hands as she sketched—or, storms, as she did something as simple as raising a spoon to her lips. He remembered staring at her.

There is a lot of physical desire for Navani.  Is this to contrast his lack of desire for Evi?

What are Marati barbarians?

OK -- so this last part wasn't in my notes.I only noticed it because I've read chapter 26 since I wrote these chapter notes.

He remembered a specific day on a battlefield, when he had almost let his jealousy of his brother lead him too far—and was surprised to feel Evi slipping into that memory. Her presence colored the old, crusty memory of those war days with his brother.

I don't remember reading much about Evi on that flashback -- other than that he was supposed to marry her and that he got prayers from both Evi & Navani.  Will there be another chapter that covers that same day? Maybe after the battle?

Color & Spren Observations for Chapter 23 spoiled/hidden for length

Spoiler

SPREN OBSERVATIONS for Oathbringer Chapter 24: Men of Blood and Sorrow

windspren (shapes of little people)

awespren

COLOR OBSERVATIONS for Oathbringer Chapter 24: Men of Blood and Sorrow

pale yellow hair (not true golden)

assassin in white

burnt orange robes (Taravangian)

pale grey eyes (Taravangian)

emeralds

rubys