Iron Twinborn Compounder Flight

atiummisting17

On 6/4/2018 at 1:07 PM, robardin said:

And just one paragraph earlier, the ironsight lines were described as follows:

The lines moved with her. One end of each thread stayed stuck to her chest [her CoG], while the other end remained attached to a given place along the street. New lines appeared as she walked, and old ones faded, disappearing behind.

So the lines appear in front of her, and disappear behind her when out of her line of sight. And the Pull is described as mentally "tugging" on one of those lines. Ergo, if you can't see a line, you can't Pull on it, with an exception for an object you just saw a line to not long ago, and can assume is still where it is relative to you when you saw it (especially if you placed it there in the first place with Allomancy, like Vin's Cloud of Horseshoes Highway trick).

I think the quote could just as easily be interpreted as the lines disappearing once she's moved too far away from them, instead of the instant they leave her line of sight.  In fact, wouldn't your exception apply in this case, as she just saw these lines?  

On 6/4/2018 at 1:12 PM, robardin said:

Another reason I think that is that Marsh and other Inquisitors are described as seeing with Steelsight (or Ironsight, I guess), and yet they still turn their heads to see things, and can get snuck up on from behind (as when Ham clobbers Marsh to save Sazed as he went to the Well of Ascension). If they could just "Steelsense" in all directions, that would be something of an affectation, wouldn't it?

I've always thought of this as similar to Allomancers gesturing in the direction of their pushes/pulls, even though that's not necessary.  It's just instinct.  

Wax also uses the blue lines to make sure people aren't sneaking up on him. He also sees the line of a bullet while he's rolling, and tracks a blue line through wood.

That done, he continued along the fence—still watching the metal lines to make sure nobody was sneaking up on him. Feltrel had once been a prosperous town. That had been twenty years back. Then a clan of koloss had taken up residence nearby. Things hadn’t gone well.

His Push shoved him to the side, and he rolled across the ground. A blue line appeared for an eyeblink—the bullet, which hit the ground where he had been a moment before.

Breathing calmly, he raised his Sterrion and sighted on the balcony of the old hotel across the street, where the shot had come from. The balcony was fronted by the hotel’s sign, capable of hiding a gunman.

Wax fired, then Pushed on the bullet, slamming it forward with extra thrust to make it faster and more penetrating. He wasn’t using typical lead or copper-jacketed lead bullets; he needed something stronger.

The large-caliber steel-jacketed bullet hit the balcony, and his extra power caused it to puncture the wood and hit the man behind. The blue line leading to the man’s gun quivered as he fell. Wax stood up slowly, brushing the dust from his clothing. At that moment another shot cracked in the air.

He kept an eye on the blue Allomantic lines. They could warn him if someone got close, but only if the person was carrying or wearing metal.

The body that had fallen beside the building didn’t have a single line pointing to it. However, another set of quivering lines pointed to something moving along the back of the forge. Wax leveled his gun, taking aim as a figure ducked around the side of the building and ran toward him.

He flared his steel. Yes … there was metal ahead of him, down the tunnel. How long was this cellar? He had assumed it would be small, but the reinforcing wood timbers indicated something deeper, longer. More like a mine adit. He crept forward, focused on those metal lines. Someone would have to aim a gun if they saw him, and the metal would quiver, giving him a chance to Push the weapon out of their hands.

He burned the steel, the familiar lines of blue springing up around him. They pointed to all nearby sources of metal.

Fortunately, he could still see blue lines pointing to the ordinary steel of the bandits’ guns, including those of a group of men attempting to flank him.

Waxillium didn’t respond. He rolled to the side, pulling loose from her grip as he noticed the blue lines moving to the left. Someone was coming up the steps to the balcony.

So from all of these (and there are lots more in the books), it's pretty clear that you can see lines behind you and out of your line of site.

@RShara, none of those specifically mention metal being behind him. It was also common knowledge that ironlines penetrate things, but get weaker when they do. I think it’s safest just to get a WoB on this when someone can. On my reread of SoS, so I’ll watch extra hard for references.

9 minutes ago, Apollyon said:

@RShara, none of those specifically mention metal being behind him. It was also common knowledge that ironlines penetrate things, but get weaker when they do. I think it’s safest just to get a WoB on this when someone can. On my reread of SoS, so I’ll watch extra hard for references.

Here you go!

He grabbed her in both hands and rolled onto the ground, causing her to yelp, then curse. Holding her over him, he increased his weight.

He had a great deal of it stored in his metalmind by now, after weeks of siphoning it off. Now he drew it all out, magnifying his weight manyfold in an instant. The wooden floor cracked, then burst open beneath them.

Waxillium fell through, his fine clothing getting ripped, and dropped through the air, towing Lessie after him. Eyes squeezed closed, he Pushed the hundreds of blue lines behind him, those leading to the nails in the floor below. He blasted them downward to shatter the ground level’s floor and open the way into the basement.

Translucent blue lines spread around him, pointing in a thousand different directions, highlighting bits of metal. The nails in a desk behind him, where a frightened man in a suit cowered. The metal wires in the walls, leading to electric lamps. Most importantly, a few lines pointed through the wall into the next room. These were faint; obstructions weakened his Allomantic sense.

Wax watched their metal lines to make sure none of them rounded back on him. One stopped nearby, but kept his distance.

Steelsight indicated a person walking up the row of vehicles. No weapon held, but metal buttons on his coat, a ring on each hand, some change in the pocket, and a watch in his waistcoat. A few pins in the collar of his shirt—very small lines—gave Wax an idea of how tall the man was.

Wax turned toward the voice. The man turned out to be a pudgy fellow in a distinctive formal suit with long tails, identifying him as the establishment’s proprietor.

Wax held very still in the darkness. He flared his steel, seeking guidance from that comfortable fire inside of him. The blue lines pointed exclusively behind him; those pointed toward the hidden doorway and the nails in the wall. There was nothing else.

Except … Could he just barely make something out? Two faint lines, tiny as the threads of a spiderweb. He flared his metal, straining, Pushing. The lines quivered in the darkness. Then they were gone.

Edited by RShara

• Chaos locked this topic