The NaNoWriMo 2017 motivational thread!!

Robinski

I am the Shadowmancer. I watch from the place you never see. I rise from the depths you can never know. I have seen your shadow, and it is mine to command. There is no light without darkness, and the darkness lives on after the light has vanished. It consumes the light, pulls it into the void from whence there is no escape. I wield the darkness. I am one with the darkness. I have touched your soul, and when you feel the shiver run down your spine you will know I am there. I see from the corner you never watch. I know you from the depths you can never rise. I am the Shadowmancer.

Anyways, I love NaNoWriMo, and I hope to someday live up to Sanderson's request that I sign a book I wrote for him. If anyone needs a writing buddy with unrealistic goals for both his life and his NaNo-ing, I'm happy to give you the entertainment of watching my progress bar shoot waaaay up the first few weeks and then trickle off to a drip the rest of the month.

And yes, this is my username on that site as well. I didn't write that intimidating introduction for nothing, after all.

I am also doing NaNo this year, as in years past!  My name there, as all places, is kaellok.  Should you encounter a kaellok in the wild, it is me! (except for that one guy that stole my WoW account 10 years ago and transferred it to Oceania, where it was promptly banned for selling gold; that is not me.)

6 hours ago, kaellok said:

except for that one guy that stole my WoW account 10 years ago and transferred it to Oceania

Bar-steward!

Welcome to the support group, @kaellok :) We're here 24-7-52-365.25 if you ever just want to shoot the breeze about all things scribbling. Or submit sometime! It's what we're here for, after all :D 

Edited by Robinski

20 hours ago, Wisps of Aether said:

Good luck writing!

Thanks Wisps. Of course, luck has nothing to do with it. To paraphrase the well-known phrase, the more you write, the luckier you get. So if you're Nano-ing, get writing!! ;) 

I have scoured this thread and add y'all as buddies!

My novel can basically be described as "What if Simon R. Green had written The Reckoners series?"  Or at least, that's what I'm going for.

Edit:

Current noveling music!  Delain's "We Are The Others" album and the FInal Fantasy XI Chains of Promathia soundtrack.  (Songs that get shuffled in way more often than the others are "We Are The Others" and "Distant Worlds".)  Some random Nightwish, Epica, Within Temptation, and assorted Nobuo Uematsu are also in rotation, but not currently favored as highly by my brain.

Edited by kaellok

Hey @kaellok, @Majestic Fox, @Wisps of Aether, @Shadowmancer - looks like everyone's doing pretty good. Shadow is ahead of target and the rest of us a super consistently  and about a day behind. Let's close that gap today and get (back) on target! No... wait. Kaellok just updated! I'd shout 'word sprint' but I'm just finishing a good spell to get back to 'proper' work.

:);):lol: 

Thanks @Robinski :D I've been sick the past few days, and was ready to pass out early last night, but I spent an hour of writing and got my full 1667 for the day in! :o I'm still surprised I was able to get that much writing done with a sick head and tired body. Having everything outlined ... wow, it has changed everything about how I NaNo. I still discover write during the rest of the year, but I'm loving having the outline right now. :lol:

3 hours ago, Shadowmancer said:

with a sick head and tired body

Ha-ha, yes, tell me about it. I do most of my writing in the early morning before work, so I haven't had time to become jaded, dispirited and generally downtrodden by the day.

Being sick is just the worst for creative things, isn't it, assuming the watching TV and eating aren't classed as creative.

So, good for you and keep going!!

6 hours ago, Shadowmancer said:

Thanks @Robinski :D I've been sick the past few days, and was ready to pass out early last night, but I spent an hour of writing and got my full 1667 for the day in! :o I'm still surprised I was able to get that much writing done with a sick head and tired body. Having everything outlined ... wow, it has changed everything about how I NaNo. I still discover write during the rest of the year, but I'm loving having the outline right now. :lol:

I am jealous of you and your 'outlines', but I think that I have the advantage in 'healthy, and taking 4-day weekends all November-long'.

I started creating an outline of my story, when I discovered that I hated my story, my characters, and my plot.  So then I went in a different direction at the start of NaNo, changing up literally everything.  And then I re-started yet again after realizing a few major and fundamental flaws at the start of the novel.  Things are finally turning out in a structure that I can work with later to make not awful.  (And I'm claiming each and every word I wrote in the false-start novel, too!  They're mine, damnit!)

45 minutes ago, kaellok said:

I am jealous of you and your 'outlines', but I think that I have the advantage in 'healthy, and taking 4-day weekends all November-long'.

I started creating an outline of my story, when I discovered that I hated my story, my characters, and my plot.  So then I went in a different direction at the start of NaNo, changing up literally everything.  And then I re-started yet again after realizing a few major and fundamental flaws at the start of the novel.  Things are finally turning out in a structure that I can work with later to make not awful.  (And I'm claiming each and every word I wrote in the false-start novel, too!  They're mine, damnit!)

LOL, I've done the same thing. I had three years where the novel I wanted to write just did not come out onto the page. I've finally come close to finishing it (it's currently a 160K monstrosity, but it's my monstrosity). And lucky you for those weekends! Stay healthy :ph34r:

6 hours ago, kaellok said:

4-day weekends all November-long

:blink: WTHeck! I own a company and I can't do that. Lucky b...

5 hours ago, Shadowmancer said:

160K monstrosity

Lol, I've got one of those too, aren't they fun to edit :D 

My first novel, which I've re-written 3 or 4 times over 20+ years is presently 225,000, in other words, two novels!! :unsure:

And yes, totally agree on the word count thing. If you write it in November it counts. I included my shopping list one year*

(* didn't actually)

Edited by Robinski

On 11/6/2017 at 2:43 PM, Majestic Fox said:

Buddy request accepted, Mr Wisps. How are you getting on? 

Sorry for the late response. :) I'm doing significantly better now than when you wrote the message because I am now done with my bio midterm. My writing's going all right so far, and I hope that yours is going well!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all the Nanos! What's occurring out there in Nano-land? @kaellok is within touching distance of the win at 46K - remember not to ease off there though - bring it home.

There are still 9 days to go, more than a week to boost that word count and progress our stories.

@Shadowmancer, what's up? Don't tell me you're trying to live your life and do Nano at the same time?

@Majestic Fox, how are you? You okay?

@Wisps of Aether - don't you dare slack off now. On target and a couple (or three) good days from the finishing line!!

Keep going, folks. Look forward to breathing again on 1st December ;) 

@Robinski Your Rep title is especially appropriate right now, lol.

Alright, yeah, I've been slacking :P I have been doing life and just kind of getting by. But I'm not on a road block! I'm just taking my time with my story. Thanksgiving will hopefully be a good time to catch up. Either way, I feel like I've been winning this month just because I'm writing a good story and practicing my art.

But I haven't given up on NaNo yet! :D 

4 hours ago, Shadowmancer said:

@Robinski Your Rep title is especially appropriate right now, lol. - ROFL, I love that!! It's just ticked over.

Either way, I feel like I've been winning this month just because I'm writing a good story and practicing my art. - and that's what it's about, really.

But I haven't given up on NaNo yet! :D - and the real win would be to keep going through December and January, get that story finished and get it submitted it on here!! ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, well, that's that. Another NaNoWriMo come on gone. Personally, I found it a bit of a slog. Still 'won' and now have 50,237 words of my second Q&M novel to show for it, but much work still to be done, and probably my least inspired experience in what was my 6th consecutive NaNo outing. Will I go again next year? Last couple of yours I've said that I won't, but my competitive steak may not let me back down so easily.

I hope that everyone else who was participating made progress and achieved their goals, or at least some progress towards them. Time to get back to work now. Where did I put that grammar stick...? :P