Mid-Range Game 25: Lowborn Intrigue

TheMightyLopen

Nerkel has a plan. He didn’t know how or why some bridgemen were poisoning others. It just didn’t make any sense. The other bridgemen has started to give him dirty looks today, and it wasn’t because of the jokes. Nerkel hasn’t even said any today; he was too stressed after Div was poisoned in the morning and revealed that there was more than one nefarious attacker. He knew he would soon be dead anyways, so he got a plan ready.

@Walin a couple points:

1. If you are an Eliminator, I doubt that anyone will trust your statement about who your teammates are.

2. The list of "teammates" is almost certainly incorrect, given that at least one of them (myself) is a villager.

3. If it actually is a list of your teammates, then you just ruined the fun of the game for almost everyone.

4. You mention "pandemonium" which probably wouldn't occur if the list contained any of your actual teammates.

A Final Note: People have tried this before, and it didn't work. Nice try though.

Nerkel got his few diamond chips and bought a bottle. He got some cremwater and put it in, then tried remember those who gave the most furtive looks when Jost died. Most of the bridgemen were always stressed, so he knew it wasn’t a perfect indicator. If it was, the whole crew would have figured out the poisoners and killed them already. So he grabbed the bottle and shook it around, splashing crem on and around it. He then filled the bottle with water and hid it.

Nerkel went up to the crowd of bridgemen. “I did it! I Poisoned Div, and there are others too!” He pointed randomly into the group. “My poison bottle is by the lumberyards, but you’ll kill me before I show you exactly where. I’m sorry, but I had to do this.” He ran.

@Straw, eh. I’m a dead man anyways, I’ll take whatever actions I can. Also, the pandemonium is like the suspicion of Joe’s analysis’ accuracy, but hopefully ramped up and not eventually discounted (because I’m totally an elim and therefore more truthful than if I was village, because I have the knowledge of who’s an elim)

Edited by Walin
Added the stuff in the last parentheses after “because I’m totally an elim”

Personally, I think a WGG highly unlikely in a game with living scanners, who, at this stage in the game are unlikely to be corrupted. The risk/reward of trusting Jondesu is such that scanners will want to look at him - the alternative being letting a player escape all scrutiny throughout the game. As such, I do think Jondesu is highly likely to be village.
I'm afraid my focus has been on the Long Game, but do intend to get back on top of this game tomorrow.

@Walin seems like you're either trying (and failing) to cause chaos, or you've lost your grip on logic. Why exactly would you want to reveal your teammates? Also, your "I'm an Elim so I'm more likely to tell. the truth" statement is fundamentally flawed. Your win condition is to defeat the village, which is often assisted by confusing the village, thus causing the Lynch to kill innocent villagers instead of Elims. This means that you are almost certainly trying to further your win condition instead of helping the village. Additionally, the suspicion of Joe's analysis is an argument between the "Joe is an Elim, therefor his reads should not be trusted." people, and the "Joe did correct analysis, making the assumption that if he died, people would assume his reads were incorrect, thus providing a boost for his team. Additionally, this has the benefit of helping him seem like a normal villager." people. Personally, I think that some of Joe's reads are false, but others are not, which would allow his reads to appear as a normal set of analysis (almost every analysis has some errors) while also creating a divide in the village after his death.

So, everybody, the reason I did this: None of my defenses would work, but I wanted to do something interesting before my character dies. Bluffing as an elim is definitely more polite than posting “a” over and over to clog up the thread.

No, wait, it wasn’t to be interesting. I genuinely thought this would cause some running around and theorizing; I haven’t read SE enough to see where this has been done before.

See you guys in the Aftermath; also, since I’m an Eavesdropper (like A Joe in the Bush was), would that clear my name? I know you have no reason to believe a roleclaim, but does the elim faction usually not have repeat roles unless necessary?

Funnily enough, I think I would have played exactly the same as I did right now if I was an eliminator. I’ve given up on making it out of C2 alive, so I’ll share my “strategy” for finding the elims that I mentioned on D1. It was to bluff my role, bluff as an eliminator (maybe), and watch closely the people who voted and pulled back, like Striker. So, basically, just regular analysis plus recklessness.

Night 2

Night was falling. Darkness embraced the war camp, as a Salas rose, casting a faint violet glow. 

But the call of nature waits for no man. And so Nerkel awoke, and carefully snuck out of the barracks to take care of buisness. Carefully, because they had been saying he had been poisoning the bridgemen. As if Nerkel even knew the difference between blackbane and lavis grain. 

As he pulled his trousers up, he had a brief sense of danger. He ignored it, and exited the outhouse. 

He saw the men, knew their intent. He had made too much noise, too much suspicion. He was desperate. He grasped for a strategy, anything that might save him. 

"I know who the rest of them-"

The pain was quick, darkness claimed him, and Nerkel collapsed. The men who had knifed him checked his person for poisons, but he had none- on him or in his possessions. 

Walin was lynched! He was a Unlucky Eavesdropper!

Walin(8): Manukos, Lemonelon, Striker, Roadwalker, Arinian, Jondesu, Walin, randuir
Straw(1): Darkness
Darkness(1): Straw

PM's are open once again. Many thanks to Steeldancer for this write-up.

gra_1509159600.png

Player list:

Spoiler

1. Darkness (Nuatoma Akihiko)
2. Randuir (Tenodin)
3. Straw (An Explosive Gerbil)
4. Brightness Radiant (undecided)
5. Hemalurgic Headshot (Kurt Barnacles)
6. Jondesu (Div)
7. Sami (Reddathan)
8. Roadwalker (Silver Feather)
9. Drake Marshall (Pashul)
10. Lemonelon (Ellenie)
11. StrikerEZ (Ardenal)
12. Walin (Nerkel) 
Unlucky Eavesdropper
13. Arinian (blank)
14. Sart (Mortago)
15. Megasif (Kohl)
16. OrlokTsubodai (Locke Tekiel)
17. Manukos (manukosokunam)
18. Eternum (Deral)
19. Shqueeves (Melb)
20. Joe in a Bush (Jost Joslin) 
Spy Eavesdropper

What?

Ah, the bold strategy of calling yourself an Eliminator when you are actually a villager. Yeah, I'm not sure how that was supposed to work. I mean I've heard of crazier things working, but that wasn't the best strategy. Ah well, I look forward to playing more with Walin in another game. He was active at the very least.

What the heck has been going on....

I personally think that the last 2 cycles have been incredibly stupid.
I, for one am going to ignore everything that has happened before concerning Walin and Joe. *shakes head. That really skews the entire game.

That being said. Whatever views I had before Walin's "gambit", still remain, however I am more open to the opposite possibilities.

1 hour ago, Darkness_ said:

What the heck has been going on....

I personally think that the last 2 cycles have been incredibly stupid.
I, for one am going to ignore everything that has happened before concerning Walin and Joe. *shakes head. That really skews the entire game.

That being said. Whatever views I had before Walin's "gambit", still remain, however I am more open to the opposite possibilities.

emmmm.... when you say you are going to " ignore the everything that has happened before" would that include the fact that joe was a elim?
cos i think it is unwise to ignore that , i belive that this lynch is our prime source of information 

then again i've been thinking yesterday , joe talked to a lot of ppl and played it to agresive at the start , that makes me think he is pulling an orloc for smn on his team (trying to exhonorate one of his teammates)
edit:()

Edited by Manukos

48 minutes ago, Lemonelon said:

So, 2 eavesdroppers have died. How many do you guys think are in the game? I'm wondering as I tend to be a bit paranoid about PMing people!!

I reckon there's maybe 1 or 2 more. One of those might also be an elim.

Now, there was some sense to Walin's plan, as falsely claiming to be an elim will generate reactions that might be alignment indicative. I will take another look at last cycle, though I don't have too much hope of finding something as it occured relatively late in the cycle after a lot of people had made up their mind about Walin already.

Edited by randuir

Ugh, I don't get why Walin would have claimed to be Elim like that, when he was village.  It certainly didn't lead to anyone changing their votes that I could see.

I do wonder which Elims may have participated in this particular lynch.  It was unlikely to cause them to draw suspicion to vote on Walin, considering the sentiment against him.  I don't have time to go check right now, is the order of the votes in the original post the order in which they voted, or no?

Of Manukos, Lemonelon, Striker, Roadwalker, Arinian, and randuir, I'm probably most wary of Manukos, Lemonelon, Striker, and Rand.  I know I indicated that I wasn't as suspicious of Striker before, and I'm somewhat holding to that, but I'm still wary.  Roadwalker I've gotten a good feel of from their posts, and Arinian seems to be playing pretty much his standard style, so they're less of a concern, but if they did vote 4th and 5th, that opens them to new scrutiny.  Rand adding the last vote would be suspicious too, but if that isn't the case then it isn't as much of an issue.

29 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Of Manukos, Lemonelon, Striker, Roadwalker, Arinian, and randuir, I'm probably most wary of Manukos, Lemonelon, Striker, and Rand.  I know I indicated that I wasn't as suspicious of Striker before, and I'm somewhat holding to that, but I'm still wary.  Roadwalker I've gotten a good feel of from their posts, and Arinian seems to be playing pretty much his standard style, so they're less of a concern, but if they did vote 4th and 5th, that opens them to new scrutiny.  Rand adding the last vote would be suspicious too, but if that isn't the case then it isn't as much of an issue.

I'm pretty sure that I added the last vote, so I suppose that is an issue? I'm not entirely sure what you're saying there.

Anyway, I took so long to vote on Walin despite voicing suspicion of him relatively early for a couple of reasons. First, I was somewhat wary of voting on a new player in C2, despite the fact that I was rather suspicious of him. It was only after he'd basically said 'I'm an elim, come lynch me!' that that wariness disappeared. Secondly, I've spend most of my evening yesterday finishing Persona 5, which kept me distracted from SE significantly longer than I expected, so I was rather slow to react to the developments in the later third of the day.