Mid-Range Game 25: Lowborn Intrigue

TheMightyLopen

Bridge 13, that one that never made it on the roster, the one always short on supplies because someone forgot, the one where everyone is addressed as *scribble* because the ardent has horrible handwritting, the one that only runs because there was a leftover bridge and leftover bridgemen, the one considered "unlucky, but not unlucky enough to be known for being unlucky."

Tis the life of Bridge 13.

Wait, are we voting on a common bridge number because we're in the same crew, or are we all in different crews but somehow sociable enough to meet each other in a tavern every night? I'm thinking the former, in which case I'm still leaning towards bridge 5.

Some others I think are good: 11, 7, and any single digit number other than 4 (like @Straw's 3.)

9 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

How about you agree on one number. You're all in a bridge crew, you sorry fools :D vote or something. Single or low double digit number, please. Lopen mentioned that. 

Right now we have atleast 3 people who okay with bridge 11. So faster end this voting ;)

35 minutes ago, Walin said:

Wait, are we voting on a common bridge number because we're in the same crew, or are we all in different crews but somehow sociable enough to meet each other in a tavern every night? I'm thinking the former, in which case I'm still leaning towards bridge 5.

Some others I think are good: 11, 7, and any single digit number other than 4 (like @Straw's 3.)

4 hours ago, Arinian said:

Hmm... my character's name would be Darian.

And bridge's number would be hmm... 3 or 7 or 11... can't choose, let it be 11.

2 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

I'll choose bridge 11

Sorry people! Some relatives came over to my house today, so I'm not at all prepared to get the game up tonight. We do have 20 players at this point, which is good enough for me! Assuming my computer will work tomorrow, I'll post Night 0 at 10pm CST.

If anyone wants to sign-up before I post Night 0, feel free!

At the moment, I believe 11 is leading the vote for your Bridge number. I was thinking I'd like to keep it realistic, but I guess I don't mind if you guys want to be crazy. :P

Night 0

"Many thanks, Brightlord Sadeas. You will not regret this," Vendel said with a smile. He'd got his bridge crew, which meant freedom to do as he pleased. He could continue his work, uninhibited by any cowards like those in Kharbranth. Now he needed to take a look at his subjects...

Bridge 11. Vendel had been watching them come and go from their barracks for the last hour, and he wasn't impressed. I doubt these pathetic darkeyes will last longer than a week under my control, he thought with a grimace. He shrugged. Oh well, I'm sure Ialai will give me more subjects once she sees how marvelously my poisons work.

He slipped a small piece of paper from his pocket and looked at the list of names he'd been given. He'd learned to read and write once he realized he couldn't trust anyone but himself to take notes about his work. It was hard at first, but gradually he'd learned well enough that he didn't need anyone to keep track of his experiments.

He stuffed the paper back in his pocket and looked around to make sure no one had seen him. It wasn't that he was ashamed, but he didn't like to draw attention to himself. He doubted anyone would care what he was planning to do to the bridge crew, but there was no need to be sloppy.

He knew the crimes of most of the bridge crew members, and he had a good idea of who to pick as his assistants. He approached his targets individually, and found that it was quite easy to bribe them into doing his bidding. Obedient assistants, unwitting test subjects, and even permission from the Highprince himself! He laughed maniacally to himself. I'm going to enjoy this very much, Vendel thought as Night came over the warcamp.

I'm sending game PM's now.

PM's are open! Refer to the rules for details about pm's. Remember, no deaths this Turn. This is just for RP and setup purposes.

Also, I'm hoping I won't need it, but I think I'll place a 2 Cycle inactivity filter. If you don't post or pm for 2 Cycles without any prior warning, you will be hung up for the Highstorm! :P

Player list:

Spoiler

1. Darkness (Nuatoma Akihiko)
2. Randuir (Tenodin)
3. Straw (An Explosive Gerbil)
4. Brightness Radiant (undecided)
5. Hemalurgic Headshot (Kurt Barnacles)
6. Jondesu (Div)
7. Sami (Reddathan)
8. Roadwalker (Silver Feather)
9. Drake Marshall (Pashul)
10. Lemonelon (Ellenie)
11. StrikerEZ (Ardenal)
12. Walin (Nerkel)
13. Arinian (blank)
14. Sart (Mortago)
15. Megasif (Kohl)
16. OrlokTsubodai (Locke Tekiel)
17. Manukos (manukosokunam)
18. Eternum (Deral)
19. Shqueeves (Melb)
20. Joe in a Bush (Jost Joslin)

We are the bridge that nobody could seem to find...

In any case, it strikes me that not much be happening, but this gives me a most wonderful opportunity to create an adequate character.

Hmmm so what did Pashul do to get landed in this sorry braizehole of a bridge?

Lets say he's a thief. One of Sadeas' captains used to leave spheres out every few storms to be infused, and they would get stolen every single time. The captain even tried posting a guard, to no avail. Probably 'cause Pashul was the one assigned to guard them. Eventually he slipped up though, and now he is part of the second most deadly bridge crew in the camp (the first place, obviously, being bridge 4). Trust me though, the captain in question was a real cremhole. He totally deserved it.

Lets say Pashul has been in the bridge crews for... Just a couple days. He hasn't done a bridge run yet. He has no storming clue what he's gotten himself into. Don't suppose anybody would like to show him the metaphorical ropes?

Edited by Drake Marshall

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know an Exam period has started for me. I should still be quite active, but If I suddenly go quiet for a cycle I've probably suddenly panicked and gone into crunch mode. I don't expect this to happen, but you never know.

Now that that's out of the way, let's talk game rules. First thing of importance to know is this: You will not be told when you are poisoned! This means that the only way you'll know is if your action has a clearly defined effect, or if a Surgeon's Apprentice tries to heal you and you get told that you are no longer poisoned for a cycle. This means that the Surgeon's apprentice('s) are really important as they can inform you when you are poisoned and allow you to base your actions on that. Therefore I'd like to ask all surgeon's apprentice's to keep using your actions each cycle, even if you don't have anyone in mind that could or could not be poisoned, as you could just get lucky and get someone some vital information about their current condition.

I've got some advice regarding some of the other roles and the poisoned condition relating to them as well:

Merchant: You're an alignment scanner, which is great. Your scan results can also be flipped, which is not so great. I'd be careful of outing a found spy unless you find one on C1 because of the poisoned condition. Ideally, if you think you've found a spy, scan someone you scanned before) the next cycle to check that you haven't been poisoned before you out them. Or wait longer to gather more information, of course. Just be careful that you don't wrongly accuse someone because you've been poisoned as that will likely result in you getting lynched and/or assassinated next turn.

Guardsman: normally, I'd say that the guardsman should be guarding someone every cycle, but there's a risk tied to this now as a poisoned guardsman will instead kill the on they sought to protect. The up-side is that the guardsman will then know he is an assassin type role now. The downside is that someone they thought would be worthy of protection is now dead. I think the guardsman should make careful judgement about using their abilities, and on whom they do so. Always weight the risk of the one you sought to protect dying because you've been poisoned. That having been said, you should probably still be using your abilities, just be smart about it.

Assassin: All the usual assassin caveats and warnings apply. So don't kill just because you can, only kill if you've got a good suspicion.

Worldsinger: you are on of the roles least affected by poisoning in my opinion. Your impact on the votes is reduced, but at least it isn't reversed. Normally my recommendation for vote manipulation is to use your ability only when you believe it is necessary to make it more difficult for the elims to anticipate the amount of manipulation around, but because of the poisoning mechanic there is something to be said for using your ability as often as possible, just to allow you to detect when you've been poisoned.

Because of the additional manipulation options that knowing someone's role gives the elims, I would be incredibly careful about sharing your role with anyone else.

@TheMightyLopen @Steeldancer, based on the structuring of the rules, it seems this game is role-madness. Can you confirm or deny this? Furthermore, how much distinction in the write-ups will be made between the different type of kills and kill-stops? Are assassin, guard and elim kills differentiated? Will it be shown if a poisoned assassin protects someone, or will that not be mentioned at all? How about kill-attempts where someone is protected?

Edited by randuir
grammar

nice analysis @randuir i would add however that a vanilla , will never know if he is poisoned unless the results of the pm vote are shown (but i doubt it )
also from the tools the elims have tis game i expect them to focus more on missinformation and confusion than stopping disscusion, so secondguess any information that isnt certain 

4 hours ago, randuir said:

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know an Exam period has started for me. I should still be quite active, but If I suddenly go quiet for a cycle I've probably suddenly panicked and gone into crunch mode. I don't expect this to happen, but you never know.

Now that that's out of the way, let's talk game rules. First thing of importance to know is this: You will not be told when you are poisoned! This means that the only way you'll know is if your action has a clearly defined effect, or if a Surgeon's Apprentice tries to heal you and you get told that you are no longer poisoned for a cycle. This means that the Surgeon's apprentice('s) are really important as they can inform you when you are poisoned and allow you to base your actions on that. Therefore I'd like to ask all surgeon's apprentice's to keep using your actions each cycle, even if you don't have anyone in mind that could or could not be poisoned, as you could just get lucky and get someone some vital information about their current condition.

I've got some advice regarding some of the other roles and the poisoned condition relating to them as well:

Merchant: You're an alignment scanner, which is great. Your scan results can also be flipped, which is not so great. I'd be careful of outing a found spy unless you find one on C1 because of the poisoned condition. Ideally, if you think you've found a spy, scan someone you scanned before) the next cycle to check that you haven't been poisoned before you out them. Or wait longer to gather more information, of course. Just be careful that you don't wrongly accuse someone because you've been poisoned as that will likely result in you getting lynched and/or assassinated next turn.

Guardsman: normally, I'd say that the guardsman should be guarding someone every cycle, but there's a risk tied to this now as a poisoned guardsman will instead kill the on they sought to protect. The up-side is that the guardsman will then know he is an assassin type role now. The downside is that someone they thought would be worthy of protection is now dead. I think the guardsman should make careful judgement about using their abilities, and on whom they do so. Always weight the risk of the one you sought to protect dying because you've been poisoned. That having been said, you should probably still be using your abilities, just be smart about it.

Assassin: All the usual assassin caveats and warnings apply. So don't kill just because you can, only kill if you've got a good suspicion.

Worldsinger: you are on of the roles least affected by poisoning in my opinion. Your impact on the votes is reduced, but at least it isn't reversed. Normally my recommendation for vote manipulation is to use your ability only when you believe it is necessary to make it more difficult for the elims to anticipate the amount of manipulation around, but because of the poisoning mechanic there is something to be said for using your ability as often as possible, just to allow you to detect when you've been poisoned.

Because of the additional manipulation options that knowing someone's role gives the elims, I would be incredibly careful about sharing your role with anyone else.

@TheMightyLopen @Steeldancer, based on the structuring of the rules, it seems this game is role-madness. Can you confirm or deny this? Furthermore, how much distinction in the write-ups will be made between the different type of kills and kill-stops? Are assassin, guard and elim kills differentiated? Will it be shown if a poisoned assassin protects someone, or will that not be mentioned at all? How about kill-attempts where someone is protected?

Assassin kills, poisoned Guardsmen, and elim kills will not be differentiated. Successful guarding/poisoned assassination will be mentioned, but not differentiated. Unless Lopen says otherwise. 

The roleless still have an ability, so yes it is.  

Also here's a countdown, it might not be exact, but should be about right. If I'm remembering that the turn is 24 hours. 

tur_1508814000.png

Edited by Steeldancer
Telling lies. Whoops, really am turning into a Cryptic.

Div flopped down on the ground in front of the barracks.  Their bridge was off-shift at the moment, meaning everyone was lounging around.  No need to do any work when they didn't have to, right?

He yawned and looked around.  No one was eyeing him, and he didn't want to make eye contact and be forced to interact with anyone, so he closed his eyes and laid back to sleep.

I plan to keep this game pretty casual, which I know has been somewhat my style for a few games at least now.  I hope to keep up better than I have been.  Sorry about that for previous games…

EDIT: As incentive to keep me alive, I'm considering giving just a little detail about Div and why he's in the bridge crew each cycle.

Edited by Jondesu

... And I lied again. The rules say this: Role and alignment will be revealed upon death, but Poisonings will not. Assassin and Poisoned Guard kills will be indistinguishable in write-ups, but Spy kills will be shown differently. Players that survived an attack will be shown in the write-up(as either protected by an anonymous player or saved by the "Tough" ability).

I'll add just that Successful guarding/ poisoned assassination will not be distinguished, as in they actually defended a kill. It will not be mentioned if someone is guarded, and nothing happens to them. Hope that makes sense :D 

9 hours ago, randuir said:

According to my read of the surgeon, even a non-poisoned player will get the message that they have become "not poisoned" for a day.

GMs confirm or deny?

3 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

According to my read of the surgeon, even a non-poisoned player will get the message that they have become "not poisoned" for a day.

GMs confirm or deny?

I am inclined to go with this read of the rules. Unless Lopen says otherwise, go with that.