Mid-Range Game 25: Lowborn Intrigue

TheMightyLopen

Night 4

Bridge 11 ran. It was tough today. With less people, it was harder to carry, even with a few members of 17 helping out. 

Chasm after chasm. It was odd how rote it became. Run. Place. Wait. Pick up. Run again. Repeat. Rockbuds, the sky. The world seemed so simple, when they were running towards their deaths. 

When they were resting as the army crossed their bridge, they heard that the next plateau had the gemheart. That meant they needed to decide who went on the front of the bridge. As they scrambled to their positions, Pashul and Ardenul were shoved forward until the only place for them to go was the front. They didn't dare try to find a different spot. Slowing down the army here was an immediate death sentence. At least some had survived a bridge run at the front, even if chances weren't good.

They heaved the bridge on their shoulders, exhausted from the long run, but adrenaline from the anticipation of the charge giving them the strength to lift it. Eventually they saw the plateau, filling them with dread. The Parshendi were ready for them. There was nothing else to do but continue forward. Arrows filled the sky as they pushed ahead. Then came the screams as bridge crews beside them were hit. Surprisingly, Bridge 11 didn't have a single casualty. They were close now, but the Parshendi were readying their bows for another volley. They reached the edge of the chasm just as the Parshendi released their arrows, and they heard grunts at the front of the bridge. Pashul and Ardenul both fell. They got the bridge set, then hurried off to safety, leaving the injured for dead.

Pashul and Ardenul lay near the chasm, neither moving as Sadeas' army was preparing to cross the bridge. A couple bridgeman from another crew moved among the injured, and noticed that both Pashul and Ardenul were breathing. They hauled them over to Bridge 11 before they were trampled by the army.

"Hey ganchos, you might not want to give up on these two so easily," a Herdazian bridgeman with one arm said to the rest of the crew, then hurried off to check on more of the injured bridgemen strewn about the plateau.

Bridge 11 checked on Pashul and Ardenul, but amazingly couldn't find any serious injuries. Pashul had a small gash on his head, and Ardenul had a cut on his leg that must have tripped him up during the charge, but neither injury was life threatening. Miraculously, Bridge 11 suffered no casualties. Somehow, after what they'd faced these past few days, they'd all survived here, where death was most familiar.

Drake was shot by Parshendi, but survived!
Striker was shot by Parshendi, but survived!

Drake(2): Unremarkable, Striker
Striker(3): randuir, Lemonelon, Drake
Lemon(1): Shqueeves
Straw(1): Manukos
Arinian(1): HH
Darkness(1): Megasif
Manukos(1): BR
BR(1): Darkness

PM's are open.

pur_1509591600.png

Player list:

Spoiler

1. Darkness (Nuatoma Akihiko)
2. Randuir (Tenodin)
3. Straw (An Explosive Gerbil)
4. Brightness Radiant (undecided)
5. Hemalurgic Headshot (Kurt Barnacles)
6. Jondesu (Div) 
Tough Unlucky Con Artist
7. Sami (Reddathan)
8. Roadwalker (Silver Feather) 
Unlucky Unremarkable
9. Drake Marshall (Pashul)
10. Lemonelon (Ellenie)
11. StrikerEZ (Ardenal)
12. Walin (Nerkel) 
Unlucky Eavesdropper
13. Arinian (blank)
14. Sart (Mortago) 
Unlucky Worldsinger
15. Megasif (Kohl)
16. OrlokTsubodai (Locke Tekiel)
17. Manukos (manukosokunam)
18. Eternum (Deral) 
Unlucky Con Artist
19. Shqueeves (Melb)
20. Joe in a Bush (Jost Joslin) 
Spy Eavesdropper

Edited by TheMightyLopen

2 minutes ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

When did Darkness vote on me?

I never did..interesting, vote manip alert!

@randuirI'm feeling alot better thanks :), There isn't much more to my suspicions. That's really all they are, I don't have anything solid on it, I did what I knew before C2 iirc.

Although I do have to say that the responses to it have been interesting, @Manukos and @BrightnessRadiant both seemed to agree with me kind of out of the blue tbh, which is interesting indeed.

Okay, so both Drake and Striker where tough? (right, @Steeldancer/ @TheMightyLopen?) Talk about coincidences. I do think it's somewhat noteworthy to see that there where at least 3 tough players, as that would suggest that there's a bit more killing power around than usual. Maybe compensation for the possibilities of guards getting poisoned? I'd think that if there where multiple assassins (or even if there was 1 assassin for that matter) we'd have seen something form them/her/him by now.

Anyway, let's take a little time to redo my reads of the survivors(I'm omitting @Sami and @Orlok Tsubodai as neither has done anything of consequence since my last post on everyone).

Drake(apologies for forgetting about you the first time around, btw): Drake added the third vote to Joe in C1. This would be the earliest vote I'd expect an elim to cast in that situation, and given that is was C1  and there where still some hours left in the cycle at the time I don't think its very likely that the elims would be looking to pile up the votes yet as things could have swung elsewhere. There isn't anything particularly alarming among the rest of Drake's posts, though I'm somewhat curious about why he thought that the Unremarkable vote on him was forced by the elims. I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment, but I'm curious about what led Drake to that conclusion. Overall very slight village read

Darkness: He keeps tunneling mostly on Straw. I reckon at this point that this is paranoia speaking, rather than an elim trying to draw the village into lynching someone. After all, there are far easier targets to get that done, while village!straw is only 1-2 elim attacks away from being dead. It just seems like a waste of time for an elim to be doing this tunneling when it could be turned to easier targets. Very slight village read.

Straw: I'm still reading village on him, though Darkness's paranoia is starting to affect me somewhat. I'm still having a hard time believing that Joe would intentionally get himself lynched C1 just to get a more trusted status for 1 or 2 team-mates. Overall his posts have been sensible, though mostly NAI. I do not agree with his comment about not reading too much into the Walin lynch and will take another look at that lynch just in case.

Brightness Radiant: BR has started to be a bit more active. I'm getting a bit of a village vibe from her, but I almost always get that from BR, so it's not really an indication. What is more of an indication is that she was the first vote on Joe. She did keep her options open about changing it later, but she didn't (though that could have been because she wasn't on in the latter half of the cycle). Overall slight village read.

Hemalurgic Headshot:  I'm still curious about why HH thought Roadwalker was probably good a couple of cycles back (@Hemalurgic_Headshot) as that came a bit out of the blue and without explanation. He wasn't wrong, of course, but I don't think there was much indication of this at the time. There's also something else that I find slightly noteworthy, and that is his trust that I'm probably village. I know that that's a very weird thing to complain about, but I think HH has played enough games with elim!Orlok to know that activity=/=good. This makes me a bit wary of him, but not enough to consider voting on him anytime soon. Neutral read.

Lemonelon: I'm not sure about her. Joe omitting her form the list could have been an accident, but from her description the PM was active enough that that would seem unlikely. Then again, I missed Drake when I made my first list of reads so it's certainly not impossible. Her vote on Striker also seemed mostly bandwagoning on my vote. Overall I hope she'll become a bit more active here. Slight elim read.

StrikerEZ: His vote on Drake was pure self-preservation, which is even odder when you consider that he was tough and would have survived anyway. Not that you should be throwing away your extra live if you're tough, but I don't see why he would endanger other people that he wasn't suspicious of when he wasn't at risk of being removed from the game. Essentially he was valuing his own extra life higher than the continued existence of another player, which I find suspicious. BR makes a good point about him probably playing more careful if he was an elim, however. Overall I'm still suspicious of him.

Arinian: I've explained why I'm leaning village on him yesterday already, and he hasn't done anything to really change that right now.

Megasif: Megasif has luckily posted a lot more since last time. His posts are sensible, and I don't find too much that i disagree with. That is unfortunately not particularly alignment indicative, and I don't have much of a gut read on him. Neutral read.

Manukos: I have't got much of a read on Manukos. His post responding to my breakdown of the roles N0 feels a bit off to me in hindsight, but that's about it. Gut tells me to be wary of him, but I've never been one to trust my gut. Neutral read.

Shqueeves: He voted Lemon because people where suspicious of her but not voting on her. This was almost a direct copy of something BR had said about Striker a cycle earlier if I'm not mistaken. Overall there's very little to be said about him, however, as that's all he's added in a couple of cycles. Neutral read.

@Shqueeves, could you maybe provide your reads on a couple of players? Maybe Megasif and HH, or some other people of your choice?

Now, let's take a second to look at that piece of vote manipulation. Darkness hadn't voted at all if I'm not mistaken, and BR hadn't had a vote at all, so all the manipulation accomplished was confirming that the manipulator hadn't been poisoned yet. It should also be noted that there where quite a few people with only 1 vote that the manipulator could have added to the bridge and create a possibility for them to be lynched. This, to me, suggest that this manipulator is probably village and just wanted to check if he'd been poisoned yet.

There's an alternate explanation though, if you're willing to invest in a very big tinfoil hat. Darkness has been voting on Straw for the last coupe of cycles and the manipulator might have assumed that that was the case here as well. in that case their action would have been directed at saving Straw. Moving the vote to someone with no votes would also keep suspicion relatively low, while switching someone else into the vote would have created a lot of suspicion of Straw. Therefore, if we take this reading, it's either a village Worldsinger stepping in for Straw, or an elim teammate of straw stepping in to help elim!Straw.

As I said though, this second reading requires a lot more tinfoil than the first. However, if we do end up lynching an elim Worldsinger than it might pay to take another look at Straw.

Edited by randuir

hmmm unfortunate i expected some deaths to occure , delays dont rly help us , it gives the elims more chances to pick us off , and i dont think they'll let anything slip , they havent so far
hmmmmm with so many innactives what is the chance that all of the elims will become innactive?

1 hour ago, Manukos said:

hmmm unfortunate i expected some deaths to occure , delays dont rly help us , it gives the elims more chances to pick us off , and i dont think they'll let anything slip , they havent so far
hmmmmm with so many innactives what is the chance that all of the elims will become innactive?

Highly unlikely - inactivity tends to be reduced for eliminators, who tend to be more invested in the game, it being a novelty.

I’m not on top of the game. I’ve been following it, but not thinking about it much, nor analysing it. At present, though, doing a total read through seems unfeasible given my current state, so I’m just going to throw myself back in, and see where that gets me.

2 hours ago, Orlok Tsubodai said:

I’m not on top of the game. I’ve been following it, but not thinking about it much, nor analysing it. At present, though, doing a total read through seems unfeasible given my current state, so I’m just going to throw myself back in, and see where that gets me.

Yeah, best to avoid a reoccurence of what happened in AG3. I think just reading through D4 should give you a good idea about where the various players stand, if you have time, of course.

3 hours ago, Manukos said:

To add to what Orlok already said, though it's unlikely that the elims become inactive, it could be that there are elims among those who have been mostly inactive from the start of the game (Sami comes to mind).

Edited by randuir

9 hours ago, randuir said:

I'm somewhat curious about why he thought that the Unremarkable vote on him was forced by the elims. I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment, but I'm curious about what led Drake to that conclusion.

It isn't a solid conclusion, but... We can try to clear this up.

@StrikerEZ, were you the one to cast the unremarkable vote last cycle?

Okay, I'll just explain my thinking here.

The unremarkable vote has periodically been cast on somebody who was never accused out in the open.

Why would the unremarkable vote repeatedly be cast where there was no real intent to openly accuse, lynch, or claim responsibility for it?

I can't really understand why a villager would want that. A villager wouldn't secretly cast a vote to lynch somebody, and then refuse to accuse them in public. That would be kind of useless. That kind of behavior makes more sense for an eliminator, I think.

So... After applying a small quantity of tinfoil, I can guess that the eliminators might have two unremarkable people, and thus are controlling the unremarkable vote.

And that is why I suspect that the eliminator team was responsible for the unremarkable vote I recieved.

Edited by Drake Marshall
fixed punctuation

Well, that makes sense unless it's just villagers trying to test if they've been poisoned. Like, what happened with the vote being moved on me. *shrugs

Just seems like you could easily try and set up an unremarkable for the lynch with casting suspicion like that if you were an elim. 

Edit: I just thought I'd leave my current suspects list here before cycle ends in case I die. xD HH, Manu, Sami, Drake

Edited by BrightnessRadiant

Day 5

The Bridgemen awoke to a gasping noise. Annoyed, Locke got up to see what the racket was about. 

Sure enough, it was Ardenal. The man had always been too noisy. Locke prodded Ardenal,  and hissed, "What the storms is wrong with you? Can't you sleep after a bridge run? With a storming WOUND?" 

Ardenal gasped, turning over. He was holding a shredded shirt to a fresh stab wound on his chest. 

"Nope," he rasped. "I'll be all right. It's just a flesh wound." But it wasn't just a flesh wound. Not only had it opened the earlier wound, but it had also hit a lung, probably. He was a goner. Who would have stabbed him anyway? Why? 

Then Ardenal spasmed. Locke realized how tired he was. He considered heading back to bed, but then Ardenal turned over and began to rasp strange words, not in his normal voice. 

"She will seek the friend, the one who forgot his name."

And then Ardenal stopped moving. Blinking away sleepiness, Locke touched his neck. He was dead. 

The other bridgemen had watched on in curiosity, but now turned over and went back to sleep. Locke began to make his way back to his bed when a wave of sleepiness hit him. He suddenly realized- he had been poisoned. His knees collapsed, and he fell, throat constricting. The sleepiness turned into blinding pain. 

"Help me," Locke begged. But even if the bridgemen had stirred themselves, there was no helping him. Locke had no words to share as he died, his body full of pain and death.

"To have survived so long and to die to poisoning, is just unfair," was Locke's last thought before he passed on. 

Orlok was killed! He was a Unlucky Eavesdropper!
Striker was Assassinated! He was a Tough Unlucky Surgeon's Apprentice!

Straw received the Unremarkable vote!

PM's are closed. Upvotes to Steeldancer for another great write-up!

bla_1509678000.png

Player list:

Spoiler

1. Darkness (Nuatoma Akihiko)
2. Randuir (Tenodin)
3. Straw (An Explosive Gerbil)
4. Brightness Radiant (undecided)
5. Hemalurgic Headshot (Kurt Barnacles)
6. Jondesu (Div) 
Tough Unlucky Con Artist
7. Sami (Reddathan)
8. Roadwalker (Silver Feather) 
Unlucky Unremarkable
9. Drake Marshall (Pashul)
10. Lemonelon (Ellenie)
11. StrikerEZ (Ardenal) 
Tough Unlucky Surgeon's Apprentice
12. Walin (Nerkel) Unlucky Eavesdropper
13. Arinian (blank)
14. Sart (Mortago) 
Unlucky Worldsinger
15. Megasif (Kohl)
16. OrlokTsubodai (Locke Tekiel) 
Unlucky Eavesdropper
17. Manukos (manukosokunam)
18. Eternum (Deral) 
Unlucky Con Artist
19. Shqueeves (Melb)
20. Joe in a Bush (Jost Joslin) 
Spy Eavesdropper

I'm going to throw my vote on Manukos. They've been playing pretty off to me all game, jumping on my suspicions on Straw, which even I admit are convoluted. 

Also @BrightnessRadiant, You say that I am suspicious, yet you agreed earlier on that Joe may have been trying to garner trust on his teammates through his ploy, which is what I think Straw was.

6 hours ago, Darkness_ said:

I'm going to throw my vote on Manukos. They've been playing pretty off to me all game, jumping on my suspicions on Straw, which even I admit are convoluted. 

Also @BrightnessRadiant, You say that I am suspicious, yet you agreed earlier on that Joe may have been trying to garner trust on his teammates through his ploy, which is what I think Straw was.

I said I thought it was possible but it's not something that I'd push very hard because even an inactive elim teammate is better than a dead one. I'm pretty positive Straw is village this game and I hope I'm finally right about him xD.

I've got to wonder about the Orlok kill. He'd been inactive for most of the game and had only just announced his return and that he'd just be jumping into the game from that point onward, so I wouldn't have classified him as a major threat.  Has anyone had a PM with Orlok last night? And if so, did he say something that might give a better explanation for his sudden demise than:

Orlok: I'm back!

Elims: AAAAAH! Orlok's back! *Shocked Gasp* Quick, kill it! Kill it with fire Poison!

Anyway, on to a vote. If I go by my list from yesterday then my vote would be on Lemon. However, my read on her is far from solid, being based mostly on the fact that Joe forgot to mention his PM with her. My overall trust in my own reads also hasn't exactly improved after Striker's death (so if whoever did this made the kill based on my read of him, maybe go trust someone else's reads?). I'm going to join with Darkness's Vote on Manukos. Since logic hasn't really been helping me out, I might as well try and follow my gut here, and my gut says that something's off about a couple of things Manukos has said. His comment on my first post stands out in particular to me, but I also feel that there's something off about the way his opinions seemed to develop over this game. He initially stated that he was quite certain about the innocence of those that voted on Joe (with a paranoia clause included, admittedly), while lightly defending Striker when he voted on Walin. Then last cycle he completely changed his mind on Straw and decided to start voting on Straw. Also, despite posting rather infrequently, he's posted at least once each cycle, indicating that he is active.

1 minute ago, randuir said:

@BrightnessRadiant, happy birthday!

Thanks! :D

Also, I finally sent out pms to everyone and it worked quite well to see who was active last cycle xD. I'm pondering whether it could have been one of the people who responded who might have put in the kill order.:P It was HH, Drake, Sami, and Shqueeves. (and Orlok but yeah xD)

No one else responded...although I didn't pm Rand or Striker because they had already started pms with me on other cycles.:P