Controversial Opinions

7 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

I'd give you a hug, but I'm just a beard. ^_^

And yes, I liked Justice League as well. So sue me.

I Enjoyed that one as well. 

26 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

I'd give you a hug, but I'm just a beard. ^_^

And yes, I liked Justice League as well. So sue me.

Justice league was good. Can't say I agree with you on B V S. Never saw man of steel.

Oh, boy, here we go.

I hate Shallan. I HATE HER. She won't stop whining about killing her parents and saying that she wants to be Veil or Radiant because they didn't kill their parents. I actually liked her in WoK, but in WoR and in OB, her chapters were nigh unbearable.

I love Moash, he is one of my favorite characters in SA.

I liked Elhokar before everyone started to like him because of OB.

I hate it when people ship characters. Its stupid.

I hate Wayne, he just does stuff without making any sense.

I thought Warbreaker was kinda boring, I struggled a lot to finish it.

I don't think Kaladin should ever be in a relationship with anyone ever. He's not that kind of guy.

Other non Cosmere things:

I thought Civil War was boring halfway through, I nearly fell asleep, and I love superhero movies, and I never fall asleep when watching a movie, so that's something.

I hate Dragon Ball, its extremely cringy. In a bad way.

I hate almost anything YA, they are mostly pretty boring and predictable.

I, like a lot of people, also think that the LOTR books are boring, but I still like some parts in them.

Sushi is disgusting and should be wiped out of the Earth's surface.

EDIT: So, I guess the LOTR thing is basically a popular opinion now, I think everybody agrees that the books are boring.

Edited by Sallin Zeras

Ebooks.  I despise them with every everything I have in me.  if I wanted to read a story on a screen, I would play a video game from the 90's with no voice acting.

I fear the day that books shift full time to ebook format and paper media disapears forever.  There have been several books that have looked interesting at amazon, only to learn that there is no paper media for them.   No thanks.

I don't like Stephen Moffat as a show writer. Everyone always says he kills everyone, but if you really look at it he never actually kills anyone. In Doctor Who, it used to be a thing that no one lived (take Eccleston's statement in the Empty Child as an example). In the last several seasons, even though they are off the show, they don't die. Clara came back to life too many times an in super inexplicable ways. Moffat uses the reset button too much (and one time literally he wrote in a reset button).

Another thing about Moffat. He created seemingly scary villains, then waters them down (I'm mostly thinking about the DW episode Listen).

I actually like when there are real consequences for main characters. If they always survive, there's no suspense.

1 hour ago, Ilythyrra said:

Ebooks.  I despise them with every everything I have in me.  if I wanted to read a story on a screen, I would play a video game from the 90's with no voice acting.

I fear the day that books shift full time to ebook format and paper media disapears forever.  There have been several books that have looked interesting at amazon, only to learn that there is no paper media for them.   No thanks.

Agree. Totally.

Also I love all Star Wars movies. I love sequels so far and I didnt like Rogue One so much compare to others.

I didn’t like any of DC movies like Batman v. Superman or Justice League but I watch shows like Arrow and Flash etc. and those I like.

Kaladin is sometimes so depressed that I am either depressed too or just want to slap him. And I dont like Lift too much.

1 hour ago, Elandera said:

I don't like Stephen Moffat as a show writer. Everyone always says he kills everyone, but if you really look at it he never actually kills anyone. In Doctor Who, it used to be a thing that no one lived (take Eccleston's statement in the Empty Child as an example). In the last several seasons, even though they are off the show, they don't die. Clara came back to life too many times an in super inexplicable ways. Moffat uses the reset button too much (and one time literally he wrote in a reset button).

Another thing about Moffat. He created seemingly scary villains, then waters them down (I'm mostly thinking about the DW episode Listen).

I actually like when there are real consequences for main characters. If they always survive, there's no suspense.

I also dont like what Moffat is doing with Doctor Who. I basically stopped watching after Matt Smith left and I liked David Tennant most. He was awesome. Though I love Sherlock.

3 minutes ago, Yvainnie said:

I also dont like what Moffat is doing with Doctor Who. I basically stopped watching after Matt Smith left and I liked David Tennant most. He was awesome. Though I love Sherlock.

I love the first two seasons of Sherlock. Season three wasn't bad. Season four was just weird. 

I didn't mind the reset button on Sherlock, because that's classic Sherlock Holmes. 

Also, with Doctor Who: I like Peter Capaldi as the doctor, I just think he has been handed rotten writing and character development (which goes back to my dislike of Moffat).

Edited by Elandera

6 hours ago, Ilythyrra said:

I know this isn't the point of this thread, but I really want to mention this. It's not that I prefer ebooks, it's that they are so storming convenient. The bookshelves are so full already that Wok, WoR, and OB would absolutely not fit. I have almost none of Brandon's books physically. Sometimes I think, "I wonder why the ebook is more expensive than the paperback?Oh well, I really want to read this RIGHT NOW!". I rarely get books from places other than Amazon.

For my opinion, I don't like captain America in general. I feel like his entire character revolves around his moral system. His shield thing just doesn't make sense at all. It's a Frisbee, not a boomerang.

1 minute ago, Slowswift said:

Referring to the fact that it always returns to him? You actually can throw a Frisbee such that it comes back to you, you know.

*Gasp!* Wait really? Well, even so, I'd imagine that it doesn't usually hit 3 big Hydra agents before it does so. Technically might be possible, but it just feels very unrealistic. 

Just now, Kidpen said:

*Gasp!* Wait really? Well, even so, I'd imagine that it doesn't usually hit 3 big Hydra agents before it does so. Technically might be possible, but it just feels very unrealistic. 

Point. :P Probably just handwaved as "special properties of vibranium" or something. ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

I miss the old IMDB movie forums, despite all the chaos there, the trolling and flaming.  My stay there was good because eventually you realise that the ignore list has no limit.  By the time they shut that forum down, I had well over 600 people ignored which made for a pleasant stay actually.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this thread and must rant, so bare with me.

Michael Vey is trash. Hatch was the biggest Idiot ever, and Michael should have died.

Percy Jackson is alright.

The Last Jedi was awesome. 

Rogue One might be best starwars movie ever.

Divergent should be burned.

Lord if the Rings movies are amazing and are better than the books.

the Hobbit movies are great (if a little long.)

Mistborn Era 1 is better than Stromlight

Name if the Wind is amazing (I know that that’s not very controversial but I saw some contrary opinions)

MCU is awesome and superhero movies will never get old.

Country music is great:ph34r:

Captain America is lame

Harry Potter is good, but not as good as everyone says. (World building was amazing, writing was decent at best)

Avengers Infinity War was awesome. Especially the ending. (I won’t mention spoilers)

Band and Jazz music is not as good as orchestra. Sorry everyone.

Cheese is disgusting. Except on pizza.

Star Wars is better than Star Trek

Szeth and Kaladin are best Characters in Stormlight, followed closely by Lift and Dalinar.

Classics such as Shakespeare, are boring and pointless.

I think I’ve said all of mine.

Vin is possibly my favourite character in Fantasy.
Egwene is my most disliked character in Fantasy
I wish SA would take a pause so we can get more books set on Sel
Hemalurgy isn't so bad.
I prefer reading about Shallan over Kaladin (Though I found certain developments in OB to detract from the character a bit)
I would rather be an Artifabrian than a KR.

I think Phantom Menace wasn't as bad as most people think it is.
I think Rogue One was far worse than most people think it was
I think that Philosophy should be taught as a high school subject, as important as English or Maths.

8 hours ago, Voidus said:

Vin is possibly my favourite character in Fantasy.
Egwene is my most disliked character in Fantasy
I wish SA would take a pause so we can get more books set on Sel
Hemalurgy isn't so bad.
I prefer reading about Shallan over Kaladin (Though I found certain developments in OB to detract from the character a bit)
I would rather be an Artifabrian than a KR.

I think that Philosophy should be taught as a high school subject, as important as English or Maths.

I so agree about Rogue One and I also like prequels quite a lot. 

I think there is nothing controversial about liking Vin. I love her too. 

On 5/13/2018 at 3:09 PM, Voidus said:

I must agree, though I wouldn't have said "far" worse. It was definitely over-hyped, but it was okay. While we're on the subject, I liked Last Jedi much more than everyone else seems to.

On 2018-05-16 at 7:05 PM, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

I liked Last Jedi much more than everyone else seems to

I agree with this. That movie is basically Rian Johnson telling the Star Wars community that we need to do something new if we want to keep Star Wars fresh. And while the story has its problems, the way he develops Finn, Poe and especially Kylo Ren is brilliant. 

On 4/14/2018 at 1:20 PM, Kidpen said:

I know this isn't the point of this thread, but I really want to mention this. It's not that I prefer ebooks, it's that they are so storming convenient. The bookshelves are so full already that Wok, WoR, and OB would absolutely not fit. I have almost none of Brandon's books physically. Sometimes I think, "I wonder why the ebook is more expensive than the paperback?Oh well, I really want to read this RIGHT NOW!". I rarely get books from places other than Amazon

Suppose I'll second this.  I greatly prefer physical books, but the fact that my Library has a much greater selection of ebooks than physical ones means I have had to relax my standards a bit. that said, when it is nice out, I like being able to relax in my hammock with an actual book and enjoy the weather, which I can't really do with ebooks because I read them on my laptop, which is a bit bulky/fragile for the hammock

as to an actual controversial opinion...I guess I would say that the entire genre of first person shooters is extremely overrated.  just about the worst games I have ever played, and its dominance recently is part of the reason I don't buy new systems.

Edited by Dunkum

On 4/14/2018 at 0:39 AM, Alicia Whiteheart said:

While I don't despise ebooks(as a submariner they are pretty much the best friend of someone who likes to read) I do prefer a paper book. I do not think that books will every truly go away. They might become a niche market in the future but I do not think they will disappear forever. Even if most paper publishers disappear there will still be enough of a market for them for a enthusiast to get printed book from somewhere.

Edited by Jorville