Controversial Opinions

Disney movies, with the exception of a few good ones, are way overhyped for what they are.

Country music is not romantic, nostalgic, or even that good for that matter.

The Last Jedi, although possessing a few flaws, was so much better than the "pre-chewed" movie that was The Force Awakens.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Studio Ghibli films are any good. Everyone loves them and I have tried so, so hard to get into them but I just have to admit they are not for me. I have watched Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro,  Kiki's Delivery Service, Porko Rosso, Howle's Moving Castle and Spirited Away. I enjoy some anime so its not the animation style that bothers me either.

My controversial opinion is that the opinions of people who dislike Game of Thrones don't seem very genuine. I've yet to see anyone give a solid hashing out of what it is they don't like, except to hear them make "titties and dragons" references. There's also the "never seen/read it and don't ever plan to crowd" that I don't understand. 

Edited by AngelEy3

On 3/10/2018 at 8:33 PM, AngelEy3 said:

My controversial opinion is that the opinions of people who dislike Game of Thrones don't seem very genuine. I've yet to see anyone give a solid hashing out of what it is they don't like, except to hear them make "titties and dragons" references. There's also the "never seen/read it and don't ever plan to crowd" that I don't understand. 

Way too many of the 'good guys' (Jon Snow, Ned Stark, Rob Stark, others I can't remember the names of) do incredibly stupid things, for seemingly no other reason then to manufacture a plot. Like I know people being stupid is realistic, but it happens so mechanically.  Also there are waaay too many bad  guys who are total psychopaths( Geoffrey, The Mountain, Ramsey Bolton, lots of minor bad guy) with zero complexity. They exist only for the reader to hate them. Over all I think ASOFAI is an example of weak, divisive storytelling, with a few really good parts.                

My controversial opinion is that Ready Player One is one of my least favorite books I have ever had the displeasure of reading. I went in expecting a fun, lighthearted romp through 80's and 90's pop-culture with interesting and appealing characters. What I got was a hollow story with a moral literally shoved in at the end and characters that, at best, were people I would not want to be around in real life; and at worst, were people simply created with certain characteristics that would sell more books to diverse people groups instead of developing personality. I found the bleak outlook of the book unwelcoming and how there was no central motivation for the characters throughout the plot except money and power. During the last battle I thought the main character was going to give a rousing speech to all the players to rather them together and fight. But that never happens (but by the look of the trailers, it does happen in the movie). And the only reason the main character wins in the end is not because of skill or outsmarting the bad guys, he just got lucky by finding an item that would save him. I'm pretty sure that is called a Deus ex Machina. To sum up my thoughts into one sentence, this is probably the first time in my life that I am looking forward for the movie to be different then the book. Thank you for letting me rant.

2 hours ago, Aon Ati said:

and at worst, were people simply created with certain characteristics that would sell more books to diverse people groups instead of developing personality.

Well that's just about every book being published nowadays. Unfortunately their is a very loud minority of Social Justice Warriors that are screaming for more "diversity" in literature. It's all rather silly, but I can't really hold it against authors because this is, unfortunately, the agenda that publishers are wanting to push. I really don't let it bother me, because in many respects we are living in such a great age for Fantasy and Science Fiction lovers with many very high quality series being published at the moment. That being said I respect your opinion, even if I disagree with it. Just wanted to comment on that section of your analysis.

1 hour ago, Ammanas said:

Well that's just about every book being published nowadays. Unfortunately their is a very loud minority of Social Justice Warriors that are screaming for more "diversity" in literature. It's all rather silly, but I can't really hold it against authors because this is, unfortunately, the agenda that publishers are wanting to push. I really don't let it bother me, because in many respects we are living in such a great age for Fantasy and Science Fiction lovers with many very high quality series being published at the moment. That being said I respect your opinion, even if I disagree with it. Just wanted to comment on that section of your analysis.

Thank you for your comment and I do agree with you about the publishing industry standards. I actually don't have any problems with there being more diverse characters in books. I just can't stand it when an author adds in a character like this and their only purpose is to appeal to that demographic for better book sales. In Ready Player One, the character of Aech is where this comes up and it annoyed me so much.

On 2/28/2018 at 1:23 AM, Elenion said:

Country music is not romantic, nostalgic, or even that good for that matter.

As with all genres, I'd say it depends on the song. I've found some good nostalgia songs from a pretty varied cast of genres, country included.

3 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

As with all genres, I'd say it depends on the song. I've found some good nostalgia songs from a pretty varied cast of genres, country included.

I live in a county with more cows than people, but country doesn't get me feeling nostalgic. The words to some of the songs are good, since country is one of the only music genres that I've heard that glorifies the traditional gentleman, but the performance and instruments ruin the effect. If only we could take the lyrics for those country songs and put them to some nice electronic music.

8 hours ago, Elenion said:

If only we could take the lyrics for those country songs and put them to some nice electronic music.

Ah, so that's your issue with it. Fair enough, I guess. Maybe that's why Pop-Country is taking off as a genre...

I'm not a big fan of acoustic myself, but it's a lot less overpowering than the instrumentals on some of the EDM tracks of late. A solid beat is nice, but I like being able to hear the singer too.

15 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Ah, so that's your issue with it. Fair enough, I guess. Maybe that's why Pop-Country is taking off as a genre...

I'm not a big fan of acoustic myself, but it's a lot less overpowering than the instrumentals on some of the EDM tracks of late. A solid beat is nice, but I like being able to hear the singer too.

For me vocals are secondary to getting a beat that moves you, but they're definitely a plus.

That actually might be why people like different genres: rap is all about a certain kind of lyrics, pop is about the vocals with a minor emphasis on music, rock is about the instrument-work and energy (in general, rock is a very broad term) with a minor emphasis on vocals, EDM is all about getting a beat/synth you can get down to, and so on. What people want from their music determines what genres they like. Want sad songs to ease your heartbreak to? Try blues or some pop. Want something that will fill you with energy? Rock and EDM. Want something to add to your cool vibe? Alternative or rap. Improvisation and instrument skill? R&B, or old-school rock 'n' roll.

(I think we may have derailed this thread slightly...)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

And, for a special Easter edition of controversial opinions: 

I am of the opinion that Jesus never existed. 

That is truly sad.

I am of the opinion that Jesus did exist, that he is the Son of God, and that he established the Catholic Church to share the gospel with all the world. And that the Catholic Church is the greatest organization that has ever existed.

Religion? This wouldn't work on any internet-forum except the Shard, but I suspect the tone will be civil here. My main one (this is incredibly unpopular here in Sweden): is that I think abortion is morally wrong. 

To steer this into more entertainment related discussions, I don't like Jasnah and would have preferred if she stayed dead.

23 hours ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

And, for a special Easter edition of controversial opinions: 

I am of the opinion that Jesus never existed. 

I think developing opinions that are historically inaccurate is ridiculous. Evidence shows he definitely existed. He was definitely a dude, just as real of a historical figure as the Jewish zealots of the time. Now, if you're going to argue whether he's God or not, that's up to you. I recognize him as God, but whether you do or not, he still existed historically. 

In other controversial opinions, i loved Last Jedi, saw it many times, and do not understand the hate (besides the leia thing, but seriously, that doesn't ruin the whole movie!!!!). 

I think WoT is incredibly boring. I got maybe half way through the first one before the temptation for all the other books was too much.

I am also of the opinion that Star Wars are not bad movies, but they are very overhyped. Except for Solo. Which will be amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

The Star Wars ST is garbage and a massive letdown to the OT and even the prequels.  Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy are idiots who should have never been anywhere near Star Wars.  I did enjoy Rogue one though and am looking forward to Solo.

Filoni would have been much better for the ST, imo.

On 10/12/2017 at 6:06 PM, The Invested Beard said:

Game of Thrones (the show) is not good.

I like Man of Steel and Batman V Superman. You heard me.

Bout time someone said so! On both counts.