Controversial Opinions

On 11/28/2017 at 0:36 PM, AubreyWrites said:

I don't like Game of Thrones. I read the first book as a young teenager and couldn't pin down why I didn't like it- forgot about it and reread the first book again as an adult and still disliked it despite being an avid fantasy fan. It comes down to being bothered that the only way women seem to have or get any power in this series is either through sex or manipulation. As if those are the only 2 valid avenues....we have enough examples in RL of dis-empowered women that I don't need to find it in my entertainment. 

How far did you get? While I can see how the first book could give that impression, plenty of women gain power in other ways and become awesome characters. 

I find Mistborn Era 1 kind of meh. I could never connect to Vin enough to really enjoy them, and I only revisit them for Cosmere stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like game of thrones.  I read the first 2 books, and half of the third.  And...I just didn't want to read any more.  I put down the series, and haven't picked it up since.  And I have no interest in watching the show, mostly because I'm just done with the series, from the books.

Just now, Ookla the Cow said:

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but what do you watch? You've just eliminated wizards, space opera, and anime, and I don't think I'd have anything left.

Leverage, Psych, Stranger things etc. There is plenty to watch that doesn't include harry potter, star wars or anime. Also, I almost never have any time to watch TV anyway so...

2 minutes ago, Ookla the Stormwarden said:

Leverage, Psych, Stranger things etc. There is plenty to watch that doesn't include harry potter, star wars or anime. Also, I almost never have any time to watch TV anyway so...

Ahh yep, I forget about crime shows and Scifi that doesn't draw from Harry Potter or Star Wars, since so many do nowadays :P

I understand about not having the time, I'm so glad I finally finished my degree, I had no time at all there for a while.

29 minutes ago, Aleph-Naught said:

Good lord. I congratulate you on having what I consider to be the most controversial opinion in this thread, and in the running for most controversial opinion ever.

Thanks! I connected more with the characters in Covenant (especially Captain Oram). I didn't care much for most of the people in Aliens, except Hicks.

I can't stand the Shannara series.  I managed to finish the first one, but never could get through the first hundred pages of the second.  Later on I tried to reread the first one again and couldn't do it.  They are just...so...boring....

Also, I actually really like the Amazing Spider Man movies, even more than I do the Tobey McGuire ones.

Edited by Wolven

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:32 AM, Islington said:

I hate Malazan. Tried to read past book 1 a dozen times. I think if I read your entire first book and still don't know hardly anything about what's happening, you goofed up. 

Right there with you.  Managed to read the first one, never bothered with any others.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 7:50 PM, Caesura said:

I feel like this is another one of those things you have to grow up with. I started them when I was 10 or 11, and kept reading because I'm emotionally invested in the characters. I can't get into any of his new stuff though - I think I'm too old for it now.

Not necessarily, I read Percy Jackson and the Olympians while in college and really enjoyed it.  (I was doing a summer job cleaning schools, found myself with spare time in a middle school library) 

But I think Riordan's writing has really gotten worse since PJatO: Heroes of Olympus got worse as it went, and I wasn't super impressed with the Norse books, either.  (Never read the Egyptian ones, on reputation)  It's not that I'm old (I was already "old" relative to the target audience), I just think he's writing worse books.  

12 hours ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

Firefly was not that good and its cancellation was not a travesty. 

I like Firefly and think it's good... but it also helps the show a lot that it got to set up and tease a bunch of plot hooks, but never had to deliver on them.  I always imagine if Lost had been cancelled after its first or second season - there'd be a similar backlash and a lot of people who would think it's the "best show ever" - but in reality it kept going and ended up disappointing people with the answers, or lack of answers, to the questions that it raises in its early seasons.  

I'm not saying that I think a full Firefly would have been disappointing or bad, (I definitely prefer Whedon over Abrams in terms of storytelling)... but it's unlikely that it would have completely lived up to the sky-high expectations that the first season created.

On 12/19/2017 at 5:14 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

I liked Last Jedi (seems like an unpopular opinion, considering the fan response).

As someone who didn't like it, every opinion of The Last Jedi is controversial. 

Edited by Retsam

• 3 weeks later...

Mine:

Stars Wars is... meh.

Drarry is a really REALLY stupid ship.

I'm not a fan of John Green... (tried TFIOS but gave up - Will Grayson, Will Grayson is alright though).

I'm kinda Team Gale (which seems to be a travesty in the Hunger Games fandom).

And... uh... not sure if this counts, but: I can't understand why people like Kaladin so much, or Shallan. 

Edited by Totally_Not_A_Worldhopper
Fixed Spelling

Dark souls 3 not that great, is basically the same as the first game.

Kingdom hearts aren't that great either, and they have the worst tutorials I have ever played.

Almost everything in the last Harry Potter book is forced and out of nowhere.

Kingkiller Chronicles are pretty meh.

On 8/2/2018 at 11:37 PM, Totally_Not_A_Worldhopper said:

And... uh... not sure if this counts, but: I can't phatom (spelling?) why people like Kaladin so much, or Shallan. 

Same but with Dalinar.