Controversial Opinions

On 11/22/2017 at 8:22 PM, Ookla the peer-pressured said:

But...but it's bacon! 

Precisely. It's bacon. Ew.

On 11/24/2017 at 4:36 PM, SilverTiger said:

I agree, bacon is awful. In any form, and bacon-flavored stuff is even worse.

I AM NOT ALONE 

Bacon isn't awful, but just about everything else that comes off a pig is. :wacko: 

I enjoyed the Inheritance Cycle immensely.

I loved the Star Wars prequels; in fact, Attack of the Clones was one of my favorites from the whole series for a while.

More Sanderspecific, but apparently everyone hated Shallan? :huh: When I first read tWoK, I ended up skimming or outright skipping everything else and just read her chapters. She remains to this day one of my favorite characters. 

24 minutes ago, Ookla the Tremendous said:

More Sanderspecific, but apparently everyone hated Shallan? :huh: When I first read tWoK, I ended up skimming or outright skipping everything else and just read her chapters. She remains to this day one of my favorite characters. 

THIS. Everyone I know who has read Stormlight either only started liking Shallan during WoR or they still don't like her, but I felt a kinship from her very first chapter and she's been one of my favorites ever since.

Other unpopular opinions:

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is only 'meh'

I don't know if it's popular on here, but in other circles the Six of Crows duology is often lauded as the pinnacle of YA Fantasy, and I did not really like it. First book was okay, but the second I hated.

I have no interest in reading/watching Game of Thrones.

Stormlight is not my favorite Sanderson series

Stargate SG-1 is my all time favorite sci-fi, and in my humblest of opinions, better than Star Wars.

12 hours ago, Dragon314 said:

Anime is awful

inheritance is great. (You try writing 2,500 pages of good material)

Nooooooooooooooooo. That hurts, man. 

Although, to be honest I kinda think all YA books are terrible by default. But some are just the worst. 

I don't like Game of Thrones. I read the first book as a young teenager and couldn't pin down why I didn't like it- forgot about it and reread the first book again as an adult and still disliked it despite being an avid fantasy fan. It comes down to being bothered that the only way women seem to have or get any power in this series is either through sex or manipulation. As if those are the only 2 valid avenues....we have enough examples in RL of dis-empowered women that I don't need to find it in my entertainment. 

My husband's co workers (note not my husband) watch the show at work ( their occupation allows tv at work) and refer to it as 'Titties and Dragons' ...'nuff said

Edited by AubreyWrites

Sanderson:

• Stormlight: (Haven't read Oathbringer yet, so we'll see if these change)
    • I don't care for Kaladin or Shallan. Dalinar, Szeth and Taravangian were where it was at for me.
    • Lift isn't very entertaining. I felt much more immersed in Rysn's Interludes.
    • I find the magic more interesting than a majority of the characters.(Don't know if this in an unpopular opinion)
  • Mistborn:
    • I like TFE Era Trilogy more. Read AoL once and haven't brought myself to start Shadows of Self yet. There's no draw, nothing pulling me in.
  • General:
    • Hoid hasn't captured my attention enough to warrant forming an opinion about him, and I doubt this is gonna change anytime soon.
    • I like Warbreaker and Elantris.

Star Wars:

• The Phantom Menace wasn't that bad. Jar Jar was awful, but he was easily ignored. The rest of it was fine. Sure kid Anakin wasn't the best actor, but he was also a literal child, so have some realistic expectations people.
  • The Original Two Battlefront games were, are, and will always be better than the new ones. (It's almost the popular opinion now, but I put it here anyway)

Game of Thrones:

• Daenerys' entire character arc thus far began and ended with "annoyance." I gave up on her before Viserys died. (For reference, that's under 400 pages/5 episodes of total story, including the chapters/scenes she wasn't even in.)
  • Joffrey wasn't that bad. He just felt evil for the sake of being evil, which falls miserably flat with me. Major props to the actor though, his portrayal in the show was great.
  • Arya and Sansa were only interesting though association with actually interesting characters like Littlefinger and The Hound. Alone, they're both meh at best.
  • My favorite character remains Cersei Lannister.

Other:

• Harry Potter: The fates of the primary three protagonists were of no consequence to me. It's not just the love triangle either, as early as Chamber of Secrets I was finding it increasingly difficult to care about any of them as the books went on, and boy did that translate into the movies... The only characters that I actively wanted to survive the final battle were Luna and Bellatrix. Everybody else was either already dead, a side character, meh, annoying, or Voldermort(who had to go, b/c this is a children's book).
  • Marvel: Both Thor 2: The Dark World and Captain America: Civil War got too much hate. Sure they weren't the best, but they weren't as bad as people make them out to be.

On 11/1/2017 at 3:01 PM, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

My controversial opinion? I don't believe in a Literary Canon. There is not a single book or author that "everyone should read." Not Shakespeare, not Tolkien, not To Kill a Mockingbird, not anything. 

Yes, some books influence others. However, you can enjoy, say, the Lion King just as well only knowing the general plot of Hamlet. Reading Hamlet won't improve your experience. Read Hamlet because it is Hamlet or not at all. 

Finally!! For a while I thought I was the only one

On 11/2/2017 at 8:45 AM, SilverTiger said:

Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, and Divergent: all are overhyped and not very good books (haven't seen the movies/tv show). While we're at it, Rick Riorden's books aren't all that great. The first two series (Percy Jackson and Kane Chronicles) were okay, the rest suck.

I agree. Ack, I read Percy Jackson, and all my friend were sure I would love it, but I just. . . Didn't.

On 11/26/2017 at 5:32 PM, Ookla the Tremendous said:

I enjoyed the Inheritance Cycle immensely.

I haven't finished the Inheritance Cycle yet. But I have been reading rather fast and loving it.

Also, yes. Shallan is great. Being somewhat of a redhead artist myself, I also sympathized well with her

7 hours ago, Ookla the Toasted said:

*I like Amaram, Nale, Mraize, Taravangian and Graves. Basically every SA villain :-) (Sadeas is crem though).

*Winter Soldier and Finding Nemo are overrated movies.

*Stick is a very flat and stale character.

Yyuuusss! All the SA villains were so well crafted! Even Sadeas, though I hated him a ton.

I agree on the Winter Soldier. It was so hyped and I didn't enjoy it much. Finding Nemo I mainly enjoyed because I grew up on it

4 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Sanderson:

• Stormlight: (Haven't read Oathbringer yet, so we'll see if these change)
    • I don't care for Kaladin or Shallan. Dalinar, Szeth and Taravangian were where it was at for me.
    • Lift isn't very entertaining. I felt much more immersed in Rysn's Interludes.
    • I find the magic more interesting than a majority of the characters.(Don't know if this in an unpopular opinion)
  • Mistborn:
    • I like TFE Era Trilogy more. Read AoL once and haven't brought myself to start Shadows of Self yet. There's no draw, nothing pulling me in.
  • General:
    • I like Warbreaker and Elantris.

Other:

• Marvel: Both Thor 2: The Dark World and Captain America: Civil War got too much hate. Sure they weren't the best, but they weren't as bad as people make them out to be.

Stormlight: 

Personally I loved Shallan and Kaladin, but I do agree on the Dalinar, Szeth, and Taravangian side. I actually read SA specifically because Szeth and Dalinar interested me a ton.

I agree Lift's interlude wasn't as interesting as Rysn's, but I do say I love Edgedancer.

I don't think I could say one or the other is better. I honestly enjoy seeing how each character uses the magic, and how it effects them.

Mistborn:

Oh yeah. While I do enjoy Wayne, I kind of had to drag myself through the 2nd trilogy. Hopefully my reread will be a bit different, but I don't really see a reason for it to be that way.

General:

I haven't read Warbreaker yet, so I can't give much of an oppinion, but I did love Elantris a ton.

Other:

I actually enjoyed those two more than some of the other Marvel movies I've seen, so I'm suprised at how many people kinda hated them

12 minutes ago, Ookla the Lightweaver said:

Ack, I read Percy Jackson, and all my friend were sure I would love it, but I just. . . Didn't.

I feel like this is another one of those things you have to grow up with. I started them when I was 10 or 11, and kept reading because I'm emotionally invested in the characters. I can't get into any of his new stuff though - I think I'm too old for it now.

6 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Mistborn:

I like TFE Era Trilogy more. Read AoL once and haven't brought myself to start Shadows of Self yet. There's no draw, nothing pulling me in.

I agree that E1was better, but E2 does have some interesting Cosmere tidbits and is worth at least one read through

11 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Marvel: Both Thor 2: The Dark World and Captain America: Civil War got too much hate. Sure they weren't the best, but they weren't as bad as people make them out to be.

Civil War is quite popular though, isn't it? Its got its haters, but a lot of people (me included) love it.

I'm the only person I know who only likes certain books in series. The first Hunger Games was the best, Battle of the Labyrinth and Son of Neptune, I actually liked all of the characters in SA (Shallan was a little boring at first, with nothing actually happening, but the character was fine). Sadeas is a jerk, but I feel like Sanderson wrote him perfectly. Every other character has an external motivation and either honestly believes what they did was right or hates themselves, but I feel like he was written entirely to be a huge jerk. 

1 hour ago, Run Ookla, run! said:

I LOVED INTERSTELLAR NOBODY UNDERSTANDS HOW FREAKING BRILLIANT THIS MOVIE IS

I think it is brilliant, but a little slow paced for me to watch it several times. It is a great movie the see once or every few years or so. I thought the director (Nolan) best movie was Inception... can't get enough of that movie :)