Controversial Opinions

On 11/24/2020 at 10:18 PM, Slowswift said:

:lol: I actually didn't mind Twilight, though I admit I always thought Jacob was the better choice. (My friend and his sister were totally aghast at this, years ago.)

On 11/25/2020 at 4:27 PM, Toaster Retribution said:

Regarding Twilight: Werewolves are better than vampires but Batman Edward is better than Jacob. So I get Bellas dilemma.

NO ,VAMPIRES AND EDWARD FOREVER!!!!!!!! Also, apparently I need to put in a Twilight thread so people can discuss this.

Edited by Ookla the Grammatical

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Sometimes having morally ambiguous MCs is annoying. Sometimes I just want my good guys to be genuinely good guys. That doesn't mean they aren't flawed or perfect, simply that they're trying their best and need to grow. 

I agree.  I love a well-written morally grey character, but I always feel a bit bad about liking them or relating to something about them.  But a genuinely good guy is very comforting - I feel like it speaks of more hope.  It's part of the reason I like Aragorn so much - he's a good person.

• 4 weeks later...

Someone is getting ratioed on Twitter for their take on fanfic and it reminded me of this topic! 

So, today's controversial opinion: Malazan has done more harm then good for the fantasy genre. This is because it gives aspiring writers the asinine idea that people outside their play groups would be interested and entertained by their RP sessions:P

1 hour ago, Ooklara said:

Someone is getting ratioed on Twitter for their take on fanfic and it reminded me of this topic! 

So, today's controversial opinion: Malazan has done more harm then good for the fantasy genre. This is because it gives aspiring writers the asinine idea that people outside their play groups would be interested and entertained by their RP sessions:P

I mean, judging by the popularity of RP on stream, I would say people are interested. Now about turning one into a book, ummm, yeah it's dangerous. 

• 5 months later...

Prequels aren't inherently bad, simply difficult to do well. When done correctly (or, in the case of the Star Wars PT, when properly expanded upon*), they're great. 

Flashback stories are also the same as prequels. (But they get more leeway due to them usually being immediately relevant, as opposed to traditional prequels.) 

Also, the Fantastic Beasts prequels, despite not being good movies IMO, do everything a prequel should:

They focus on characters not directly related to the original cast,

They expand both the worldbuilding and the scope of the conflict.

They recontextualize certain aspects of the original series. 

They aren't tied into the plot of the original series in any major way. 

Granted, you don't have to follow the above to make a good prequel - indeed, many good prequels don't do the above. Likewise, following the above doesn't guarantee the prequels will be good at all - just look at the Hobbit movie trilogy. But I think these steps help.  

On 1/16/2021 at 7:13 PM, Orlionra said:

Is that what Malazan is? a TTRPG that he made into a book?

9 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Is that what Malazan is? a TTRPG that he made into a book?

Pretty much. I think it started as a homebrew DND campaign that ultimately expanded into what Malazan is today. 

https://malazan.fandom.com/wiki/Role-playing_Game_Origins_of_the_Malazan_Series

That being said, I partially and respectfully disagree with the original premise on two levels. The first is personal, as I've witnessed some campaigns (some I've been apart of, and more I haven't) that could be absolutely fascinating reads or views. Oh, and Critical Role exists. 

The second is more related to the topic at hand. Although I'm only four books in (and have been for the past three years...), Malazan has given me some of the best experiences in Fantasy. The whole of Deadhouse Gates, the climax of Memories of Ice, and several scenes of House of Chains are some of the best I've read in the genre. 

But I definitely understand, respect, and acknowledge the original controversial opinion!

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

It's also not really fair because Dragonlance did the same thing a decade and a half earlier

It is quite possible that both Dragonlance and Malazan cause harm to the fantasy genre. 

Along with Forgotten Realms! :lol:

Anyhow, today's controversial opinion: 

Critical Role is ruining Tabletop Gaming :ph34r:

Spoiler

Now, granted, lots of things are ruining Tabletop Gaming at a much worse manner than Critical Role, but that's not controversial! 

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Knight of Iron said:

I’d have to like 70% agree with you there, only anime I accept is the Pokémon one and maybe something else I’m not remembering.

I’ll maybe accept one punch man. But every other anime I’ve tried to watch, I’ve thoroughly disliked. Also Pokémon is accepted.

I have three main problems with anime

1. In most of the ones I've seen the characters are all interchangeable, with nothing special other than a personal flair in how they do the one thing that separates their world from earth.
  2. Characters lose all semblence of facial structer whenever they feel the slightest emotion.
  3. The hardcore anime fans that push it at every opportunity 

I believe you all mean Shounen when you say anime? If so, then I mostly agree. But anime is all of the animation made in the nation with the most animation in the world, I believe it's physically impossible to actively dislike all of those tens of thousands of pieces of media that entails :D I recommend Ghibli and some Seinen stuff like Monster. There's good stuff far beyond the clichées there.

19 minutes ago, Elegy said:

I believe you all mean Shounen when you say anime? If so, then I mostly agree. But anime is all of the animation made in the nation with the most animation in the world, I believe it's physically impossible to actively dislike all of those tens of thousands of pieces of media that entails :D I recommend Ghibli and some Seinen stuff like Monster. There's good stuff far beyond the clichées there.

I don't like the art style, animation style, anime tropes/cliches, or most voices. Similar to how one can dislike Minecraft and then inherently dislike the content of hundreds of thousands of Minecraft streamers.

24 minutes ago, Frustration said:

The facial expressions are my personal pet peeve.

Humans don''t work like that.

Well, that also kinda depends on the art style. Some artists put such an emphasis on realistic expressions the result is kind of unnerving. 

3 hours ago, Knight of Iron said:

I don't like the art style, animation style, anime tropes/cliches, or most voices. Similar to how one can dislike Minecraft and then inherently dislike the content of hundreds of thousands of Minecraft streamers.

I have a problem with some of these generalizations, but this one I can get behind. Anime doesn't bother me, but i've skipped entire shows or comics because I don't like the art style or animation, and most anime do tend to have very similar art styles.

• 1 year later...
On 12/28/2022 at 4:58 PM, Frustration said:

I'm probably going to get a lot of heat for this, as it is probably one of my more controversial opinions, but here we go.

Gatekeeping is not inherently bad, and is at times necessary for a community.

I will die on this hill.

That's certainly controversial! What do you mean by gatekeeping? Because maybe there's a nicer way to put it and look at it?

I'd say that guiding and assisting is necessary for a community at times, but gatekeeping never really is. I don't think I've been a fan of any community where gatekeeping - where saying "you MUST do things this way" or "you HAVE to do these things first" has been actually beneficial or positive. Gatekeeping also benefits those keeping the gates rather than the community at large IMO. If someone wants to try, say, a book series by your favorite author out, you can say "here's where I recommend starting and why, based on what you've said or not said," but saying "YOU NEED TO READ THIS FIRST OR YOU'RE NOT A REAL FAN" isn't where it's at.

Anyways, my controversial opinion for the day - 

When an actor dies, a character doesn't have to die as well. There are several viable options on what to do. You can replace the actor and keep on going (Spartacus: Blood & Sand), you can finish the production and retire the character (Fast & Furious), you can CGI said character in (Rogue One). Killing off the character to "honor the actor" does nothing more than kill their legacy in most cases, and deny the fans of the character a chance to see said character live on in their imagination.