Controversial Opinions

9 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Controversial opinion: I kind of like wearing a mask, it provides a shield between me and the world, also as the weather gets colder, it keeps my face warm.

I agree. Your nose especially.

7 hours ago, Chanarach said:

I like Vapor. 

Do you... associate with her? I haven't been around you much and Vapor and I tend to hang out in the same places.

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

any specific type of sausages?  because like, I'm not fond of Kielbasa, but can demolish some breakfast sausage or chorizo.

Most of them. Chorizo can work on a pizza, and I'm fine with hot dogs and those sausages with cheese sprinkled inside, but otherwise I'd rather not have them.

3 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I am not super fond of sausage or bacon.

What about ham?

Me? I'm very picky with my pork products. I've only recently found ham that I like, pork has to be cooked a certain way, I like some but not all sausage and bacon has to be just crispy enough. 

I'm pickier with eggs. I love them, but almost never when someone else cooks them. 

Edited by Orlionra

49 minutes ago, Orlionra said:

What about ham?

Me? I'm very picky with my pork products. I've only recently found ham that I like, pork has to be cooked a certain way, I like some but not all sausage and bacon has to be just crispy enough. 

I'm pickier with eggs. I love them, but almost never when someone else cooks them. 

Fine with ham (you can't have a really good sandwich without either chicken or ham), and pork is awesome. Eggs I'm fine with. Not amazing, not bad. I eat them. On occasion. 

Also, bacon can work well on a hamburger. I'd rather go without it, but it can be really good if it's not too much. 

Miles Morales should always be Spider-Man. This is the case for a few reasons. First is that, for the first time in a LONG time in Marvel, we have two successfully functioning heroes under the same moniker. Sure, Marvel will do that for a run or two every couple of years or so, but it never sticks. With Miles, it stuck.* And if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

Second, Miles being Spider-Man means that if Marvel ever retired Peter Parker (which they never will, but still), Miles could step into the role without feeling like he's "upstaging" Peter or like a fill-in. He's had the role for years at this point, and will have it for many more to come. 

Third, Marvel characters who don't take the name of their predecessor end up getting forgotten. Marvel isn't really big on sidekicks (a holdover from Stan Lee, who didn't really want the equivalent of child soldiers), and so those who fill the sidekick role are usually forgotten. Does anyone really remember Anti-Venom or Toxin, or any of the other spin-off symbiotes? No, they remember Venom and Carnage. Arana was upgraded to Spider-Woman because of this fact - the ones that stick out and stay are the ones that use the original hero's name. (Or the villain's name.) Kate Bishop is a prime example of that, as is Miles himself. 

Going off of that, second identities for superheroes rarely stick. The only ones that I can think of are with the Robins, as the title of Robin is a placeholder. But even then there are problems and only two true success stories I can think of are in Bucky Barnes (from Bucky to the Winter Soldier) and Dick Grayson. Jason Todd is the second Red Hood, taking over a mantle, not forging his own identity; Tim Drake was Robin, then Red Robin, then back to Robin, then to back Red Robin again, and then back to Robin, and now apparently Talon or something; Damian is the current Robin; Duke Thomas was skipped over for the role entirely, despite everything setting him up to be Robin. (Although maybe that was a blessing in disguise.) 

If Miles took a separate identity, chances are he'd find it only temporary and he'd be back to Spider-Man in a matter of months, if not years (probably by popular demand). 

Miles Morales as Spider-Man is a great thing because it keeps the role relatable while allowing for different people under the mask. Miles gives us a little insight into what being Spider-Man means for a different generation, a new generation. And that's awesome. So...yeah...

As an extra controversial opinion, I LIKED the Ultimate Spider-Man clone arc, and they should have kept

MASSIVE SPOILERS

Spoiler

That version of Jessica Drew around. Her being a clone of Peter was really creative, and I like how it could have played with the idea of sexuality and gender identity. 

*Yes, his case was a little different than most, but we've seen cases like it before and it rarely sticks. 

@Use the Falchion

Kamala Khan would be a success story as well, being that she is known and associated with Ms Marvel, possibly more so than Carol Danvers. Definitely more so than the other two. 

I suppose if we take that as an example, Peter Parker would have to adopt a different persona name... like Captain Spider! 

16 minutes ago, Orlionra said:

@Use the Falchion

Kamala Khan would be a success story as well, being that she is known and associated with Ms Marvel, possibly more so than Carol Danvers. Definitely more so than the other two. 

I suppose if we take that as an example, Peter Parker would have to adopt a different persona name... like Captain Spider! 

Oh absolutely! Kamala owns the role of Ms. Marvel now. Neither Kamala nor Miles were sidekicks in their roles - they simply inherited the identity.*

But that's the main difference between Kamala & Carol and Miles & Peter though. When Kamala came on the screen, Carol simply adopted a new name that was already associated with her character (although came from a different character itself). Miles and Peter didn't do this. Peter didn't become the Scarlet Spider, and Miles didn't become...Spider-Boy? Spiderling? Spider-Lad?

It's like how Tim Drake came across the Red Robin mantle and his relationship with Damian - it originally belonged to Dick Grayson in Kingdom Come, then it was Jason Todd for a bit, and lastly Tim Drake. And when Damian came into the picture, it was time for Tim to graduate.** Kamala is more in that vein than she is with Miles IMO. 

*They aren't the first or the last to do so, but they've easily been the most successful. X-23 as Wolverine should also be considered a success, but I'm not sure if she's still using that mantle since Logan came back. 

**And while I'd LOVE for Damian to graduate, as it's been nearly 15 years since is introduction and roughly ten or so since he became Robin proper, I think they need to find a solid place for Tim first, and then Damian, and then they can introduce a new Robin. I would have loved for it to have been Duke, but he's too set as The Signal now.

21 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Oh absolutely! Kamala owns the role of Ms. Marvel now. Neither Kamala nor Miles were sidekicks in their roles - they simply inherited the identity.*

But that's the main difference between Kamala & Carol and Miles & Peter though. When Kamala came on the screen, Carol simply adopted a new name that was already associated with her character (although came from a different character itself). Miles and Peter didn't do this. Peter didn't become the Scarlet Spider, and Miles didn't become...Spider-Boy? Spiderling? Spider-Lad?

It's like how Tim Drake came across the Red Robin mantle and his relationship with Damian - it originally belonged to Dick Grayson in Kingdom Come, then it was Jason Todd for a bit, and lastly Tim Drake. And when Damian came into the picture, it was time for Tim to graduate.** Kamala is more in that vein than she is with Miles IMO. 

*They aren't the first or the last to do so, but they've easily been the most successful. X-23 as Wolverine should also be considered a success, but I'm not sure if she's still using that mantle since Logan came back. 

**And while I'd LOVE for Damian to graduate, as it's been nearly 15 years since is introduction and roughly ten or so since he became Robin proper, I think they need to find a solid place for Tim first, and then Damian, and then they can introduce a new Robin. I would have loved for it to have been Duke, but he's too set as The Signal now.

I'd forgotten about X-23! She's great! 

I think what helped Miles Morales establish himself as Spider-man is that originally, in the Ultimates Universe, Peter Parker died and he was the only Spider-man in town. 

Now you can only tell the difference based upon what adjective the comic book employs on Spider-man :rolleyes:

Marvel has been working pretty hard to get new characters to take up popular names... with varying success. 

I think Amadeus Cho crashed and burned as the Hulk whereas Robbie Reys has some success as Ghostrider.

Lunella Lafayette succeeded as Moon Girl in part because no one cares or knows about Moon Boy:D

35 minutes ago, Orlionra said:

I'd forgotten about X-23! She's great! 

I think what helped Miles Morales establish himself as Spider-man is that originally, in the Ultimates Universe, Peter Parker died and he was the only Spider-man in town. 

Now you can only tell the difference based upon what adjective the comic book employs on Spider-man :rolleyes:

Marvel has been working pretty hard to get new characters to take up popular names... with varying success. 

I think Amadeus Cho crashed and burned as the Hulk whereas Robbie Reys has some success as Ghostrider.

Lunella Lafayette succeeded as Moon Girl in part because no one cares or knows about Moon Boy:D

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur was one of my favorite comics to read this year! If you're into comics and haven't checked them out, I highly recommend Skyward (no relation to Sanderson) and the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 2016 run. I'm on Volume 4 of MMPR and its great. (And if I've recommended these to you before, I apologize.) 

Yeah, Comicstorian has two great - if not controversial (fitting this thread) - videos about Marvel's diversity and the complexities surrounding it. (They're from 2017, so keep that in mind.) I recommend watching the first one at the very least. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says, but I do understand his point and appreciate it. 

Great point about Ultimate Spider-Man. At that time, people around me (who knew I was the comic book guy) kept asking me if they really killed off Peter in the comics and were replacing him. Trying to explain the Ultimate universe...that was a tough convo! :P

Never read Twilight past the first book, but watched the storm out of the movies when they were popular and have the books in my tbr. Don't remember enough about it to make sound opinions, but I have an extreme bias towards vampires in basically anything so I would probably say Edward regardless. 

Edited by Eluvianii