Controversial Opinions

2 hours ago, Shard of Reading said:

It's the same as the noodle incident in Calving and Hobbes. It's funnier if you don't know what it is.

It honestly depends, I think. You pretty much have to come up with something that can meet the mystique of the currently unknown thing. 

So, in Bojack Horseman, one of the characters always greets an Erica that is offscreen and never seen or heard. Because that's all there is to the gag, revealing Erica or keeping her secret is no big deal. The audience can take it either way. 

Now take the Kessel Run: something with a lot of mystique. Because it's been part of Star Wars consciousness for so long, revealing it requires a special, exciting revelation with meaning for the core story over all. If what you can provide is...not that... then you shouldn't bother, it's worth more as a mystery. 

2 minutes ago, Orlion the Platypus said:

It honestly depends, I think. You pretty much have to come up with something that can meet the mystique of the currently unknown thing. 

So, in Bojack Horseman, one of the characters always greets an Erica that is offscreen and never seen or heard. Because that's all there is to the gag, revealing Erica or keeping her secret is no big deal. The audience can take it either way. 

Now take the Kessel Run: something with a lot of mystique. Because it's been part of Star Wars consciousness for so long, revealing it requires a special, exciting revelation with meaning for the core story over all. If what you can provide is...not that... then you shouldn't bother, it's worth more as a mystery. 

That is basically what I am saying. I think that there is no way that what the author writes can exceed what I have in my head, so they might as well keep it like that.

Here's a hot take: Shipping isn't bad. Shipping is a natural and frankly necessary part of a fandom. It's a sign that fans are invested in the characters and all aspects of their lives, not just what the story wants. What is bad about shipping is the seriousness in which fans take it. But that's no different than other parts of fandoms. Speculation and theorizing often get a bad rep for the same reason - fans take shipping (and theorizing) to heart and if what they want/shipped/theorized about doesn't happen, they take it out on anyone and everyone; and sometimes even the product they were theorizing about. Voltron had this problem (along with many others, but definitely this one) as does My Hero Academia from what I've heard. However, the opposite is also true. When a ship becomes overwhelmingly popular, there's a chance for its fans to override all other ships within the fandom that aren't the main one. The Dragon Prince has this problem in spades.

SEASON THREE SPOILERS 

Spoiler

If Rayla and Callum break up, that subreddit - and the fandom as a whole - will go nuclear. It'll be bad y'all. 

But at the end of the day, shipping isn't a bad thing in and of itself. It's just something that needs to be taken in healthy doses and done responsibly.

On 26/10/2020 at 10:25 AM, Use the Falchion said:

Here's a hot take: Shipping isn't bad. Shipping is a natural and frankly necessary part of a fandom. It's a sign that fans are invested in the characters and all aspects of their lives, not just what the story wants. What is bad about shipping is the seriousness in which fans take it. But that's no different than other parts of fandoms. Speculation and theorizing often get a bad rep for the same reason - fans take shipping (and theorizing) to heart and if what they want/shipped/theorized about doesn't happen, they take it out on anyone and everyone; and sometimes even the product they were theorizing about. Voltron had this problem (along with many others, but definitely this one) as does My Hero Academia from what I've heard. However, the opposite is also true. When a ship becomes overwhelmingly popular, there's a chance for its fans to override all other ships within the fandom that aren't the main one. The Dragon Prince has this problem in spades.

SEASON THREE SPOILERS 

Reveal hidden contents

If Rayla and Callum break up, that subreddit - and the fandom as a whole - will go nuclear. It'll be bad y'all. 

But at the end of the day, shipping isn't a bad thing in and of itself. It's just something that needs to be taken in healthy doses and done responsibly.

I completely agree! I love shipping, and I don't feel like it's a bad thing as long as it doesn't get too serious.

On 10/26/2020 at 10:25 AM, Use the Falchion said:

SEASON THREE SPOILERS 

Hide contents

I agree with this (and I remember all the Voltron stuff - ugh)

I also don't like it when people ship REAL ACTUAL LIFE PEOPLE!!! Like if it's just with your friends and you're teasing them, sure. But putting pressure on celebrities and showing them your fanart or fanfiction (I would assume) makes the SUPER uncomfortable.

7 hours ago, revelryintheart said:

I agree with this (and I remember all the Voltron stuff - ugh)

I also don't like it when people ship REAL ACTUAL LIFE PEOPLE!!! Like if it's just with your friends and you're teasing them, sure. But putting pressure on celebrities and showing them your fanart or fanfiction (I would assume) makes the SUPER uncomfortable.

You guys, I just figured it out. Rev's famous! Obviously! It's not like Mist has met her or anything, she's like... (searching memory anxiously for famous people since I don't know anything about that) Emma Watson or something.

12 hours ago, Condensation said:

You guys, I just figured it out. Rev's famous! Obviously! It's not like Mist has met her or anything, she's like... (searching memory anxiously for famous people since I don't know anything about that) Emma Watson or something.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

have been told that I sing like Emma Watson (I don't).

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

and well, you know