Controversial Opinions

On 2018-12-26 at 0:13 PM, _Tempus_ said:

I dislike Avengers: Infinity War (and pretty much most marvel films. They're very overrated [sorry if I offended anyone]).

I'm now so dead.

The collossal plot hole of Doctor Strange conveniently not using his most powerful weapon that rendered even Dormammu effectively helpless really irritated me. All he had to do was freeze him in time and then bash his skull in. Unless Dormammu intervened on Thanos’ behalf to ‘unpause’ him like he did with Kaecilius, there’d be absolutely no defence against that...

Edited by Fanghur Rahl

2 hours ago, Dr. Dapper said:

"He's from... chull place? Assberg"

I mean how can you not love that.

Well, most of the humor was actually pretty good, but I felt like there was so much of it that detracted from what could have been really great character moments. I don’t mind if people enjoy it; I just don’t myself, and don’t think it’s really a good movie.

The Dramione ship is only as problematic as the writer makes it. As long as there’s no power imbalance between them, and as long as Draco treats Hermione right, it can be one if the sweetest and most hopeful ships out there. There is nothing inherently wrong with a ship where one partner has left a toxic worldview for a more inclusive one; it can become problematic if said toxic worldview is never acknowledged, but there’s no reason to quarantine Draco from polite society after he changes for the better.

Also, there’s nothing wrong with disliking that particular ship. There is something wrong with treating anyone who enjoys it like crem. 

2 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

The Dramione ship is only as problematic as the writer makes it. As long as there’s no power imbalance between them, and as long as Draco treats Hermione right, it can be one if the sweetest and most hopeful ships out there. There is nothing inherently wrong with a ship where one partner has left a toxic worldview for a more inclusive one; it can become problematic if said toxic worldview is never acknowledged, but there’s no reason to quarantine Draco from polite society after he changes for the better.

Also, there’s nothing wrong with disliking that particular ship. There is something wrong with treating anyone who enjoys it like crem. 

DOES he change for the better by modern standards though? ‘No longer a death eater’ is hardly equivalent to ‘is a morally exceptional individual’.

13 minutes ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

DOES he change for the better by modern standards though? ‘No longer a death eater’ is hardly equivalent to ‘is a morally exceptional individual’.

I leave it up to the writer to determine that. If the writer demonstrates that he does a complete heel-face turn, then I’m on board. I’m leaving aside what Rowling said about his postwar life on Pottermore because with Dramione, we’re firmly in AU territory anyway; so if you show me he’s changed, I’ll take it. 

Spoiler

There’s also the fact Rowling contradicts her own canon in that essay, but that’s neither here nor there. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2019 at 7:52 AM, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I leave it up to the writer to determine that. If the writer demonstrates that he does a complete heel-face turn, then I’m on board. I’m leaving aside what Rowling said about his postwar life on Pottermore because with Dramione, we’re firmly in AU territory anyway; so if you show me he’s changed, I’ll take it. 

Hide contents

There’s also the fact Rowling contradicts her own canon in that essay, but that’s neither here nor there. 

Spoiler

To put J. K. Rowling as a writer into perspective, let's all take a moment to remember that in the 1920s Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini had a massive public falling out because Doyle believed Houdini had actual mystical powers and refused to believe the magician's insistence that all of his tricks were nothing but illusion.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are way wilder ways Rowling could be using her Twitter. :P

On 16/01/2019 at 11:45 PM, Pagliacci said:

The only way the Avengers can win is by having a civil conversation with Thanos.

Yes. That is actually... a decent summary of my Avengers: Endgame theory...

On 28/12/2018 at 2:40 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

I just love what Ragnarok does with Lokis character. The fact that the Trickster himself becomes predictable because of the fact that he always fools people is fascinating.

This is also just me. It's a really interesting way to go with his character (both this element, and everything else they do w/ Loki).

I have one other thing to say, which is that I need to take back my anti-John Green controversial opinion from last year. Sort of. I have now read TFIOS, and loved it. 

1 hour ago, Sharshiblarb said:

Pokemon games are boring, the card games are boring, the anime is boring.

Harry Potter > Brandon Sanderson 

There are series you could have said are better than Sanderson that I'd have agreed with, but there are used rags that are better reading than Harry Potter.

2 hours ago, Dunkum said:

There are series you could have said are better than Sanderson that I'd have agreed with, but there are used rags that are better reading than Harry Potter.

It's because I rate a book on how engaging it is. I have yet to read a cosmere book that is as engaging from the start as Harry Potter.

4 hours ago, Sharshiblarb said:

It's because I rate a book on how engaging it is. I have yet to read a cosmere book that is as engaging from the start as Harry Potter.

see I disagree with this entirely.  Ive read Harry potter, and am currently in the process of rereading it, to see how my opinion of it will have changed since it originally came out.  When I started my reread, I got through the first book and just had 0 interest in continuing.  It gets better, but I think there are swaths of the first 2 books that are pretty much the opposite of engaging, and the beginning of the first book, (after the prologue bit anyway) is probably the worst part.

No idea how controversial this opinion is or will wind up being, but based on my 90s kid knowledge of the character and the previews I've seen….

…the Netflix Carmen Sandiego cartoon looks timid, toothless, and just plain dumb. 

Spoiler

Yes, I know it's intended for kids. So was Gravity Falls. So is Steven Universe. Sparks, every single one of Pixar's movies have been marketed as family movies, and most of them are masterpieces. Just because it's for kids doesn't mean it has to water down a morally grey character or have a laughably silly premise. 

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

…the Netflix Carmen Sandiego cartoon looks timid, toothless, and just plain dumb. 

Speaking of bad Netflix animted shows... I think Guillermo Del Toro's Trollhunters and 3 Below are bad. And so is The Dragon Prince (I haven't seen A:TLA).

16 minutes ago, Pagliacci said:

Speaking of bad Netflix animted shows... I think Guillermo Del Toro's Trollhunters and 3 Below are bad. And so is The Dragon Prince (I haven't seen A:TLA).

Haven't seen any of those, but I did give Hilda a try after seeing a rave review on another site. I watched three episodes, waiting for the promised magic to sweep me away before I gave up. Maybe it becomes amazing before the season finale, but for me, in the episodes I watched, it never rose above the level of pretty good. 

But then, disappointment isn't limited to animated Netflix shows. Nailed It looked like it could be funny, but it tries too hard to recreate the hilarity of sites like Cake Wreckswhich mostly works because those failures are spontaneous. They tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it's all a bunch of batter. :ph34r: Nailed It doesn't reach that level. By getting you to expect Cake Wrecks-level hilarity, it makes the result inevitably disappointing and just leaves you wanting to go through the Cake Wrecks archives. 

19 minutes ago, Pagliacci said:

While having never seen the first two shows you mentioned, I think that one of the reasons that people (myself included) like The Dragon Prince is because of the potential that it brings. It currently has the potential to be as good as ATLA. That said, I highly recommend ATLA. It is a masterpiece of an animated show

49 minutes ago, Shqueeves said:

While having never seen the first two shows you mentioned, I think that one of the reasons that people (myself included) like The Dragon Prince is because of the potential that it brings. It currently has the potential to be as good as ATLA. That said, I highly recommend ATLA. It is a masterpiece of an animated show

I'm looking forward to watching A:TLA! :)

I hope The Dragon Prince fulfils the potential yourself and others see in the show. I'll probably give the second season a watch.

52 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

but I did give Hilda a try after seeing a rave review on another site. I watched three episodes, waiting for the promised magic to sweep me away before I gave up.

Hilda is good but not boundary pushing. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it enough to finish the season.

11 hours ago, Pagliacci said:

Dragon Prince was pretty iffy, yea.  and the animation was complete garbage.  if they want that show to be good they need to do something completely different with the animation, because what they have now just doesnt cut it.  I wanted to like it, and i think with better visuals it could end up as a pretty good show (though nowhere near the likes of gravity falls or avatar) but it needs a lot of work.