Controversial Opinions

Infinity War was meh and Thanos was... problematic.

I like the Watchmen comic ending.

I enjoy Batman and Robin more than the Burton Batman films.

The Star Wars Prequels have a more interesting story than the Originals.

Though flawed, the Last Jedi has some interesting stuff in it.

I don't particularly like The Name of the Wind.

Shallan + Kaladin never felt convincing to me.

WoR and OB spoiler:

Jasnah should have stayed dead.

And finally (deep breath)... Balrogs have wings.

On 9/30/2018 at 7:10 PM, Inklingspren said:

I don't like Ranger's apprentice.

Fortnite should be banned everywhere.

Football (american) is okay at best.

Wheel of Time was meh.

Undertale itself is good, but the fanbase is one of the worst fanbases ever.

FNAF is meh.

Jar Jar Binks is a good character

Do you think it's kind of funny that I agree with pretty much everything you just listed?

I was force-read Ranger's Apprentice in sixth grade when my teacher chose it for read-aloud, and I couldn't bring myself to be anything but irked and dissatisfied with it. In fact, one of the main reasons I didn't like it was that everyone kept going on about how much they did like it, and it got on my nerves.

Fortnite should just never exist in the first place.

American football isn't even football. I don't hold too many grudges against the sport (movies like Remember the Titans softened my disdain for it), but I don't like the naming. The sport that we Americans call soccer is the only real football.

Honestly, I started reading The Eye of the World months ago, and I couldn't get farther than about a hundred pages into it. It just... never captured my attention. Plus, I found it way, WAY too predictable. Like, I guessed who the Dragon Reborn was before I was even into the second chapter, simply because of how obvious it is. And I was unsurprisingly confirmed to be correct when I read about the other books in their back covers and such. I think that if such a major story event is so incredibly predictable from the very start, the story isn't really worth reading to me.

I've never played Undertale, but I really like it's story and music. I'm pretty much a fan of it, despite never having played it. Fortunately, I was officially introduced to it by a friend of mine who is definitely on the non-toxic side of the fanbase. The overall fanbase, however... ugh, I don't even want to know. I just wish it wasn't so... bah, I don't even know how to word it.

I don't care about FNAF. I personally think it's overrated.

Haha! I agree with the Jar Jar thing! I don't hate him as much as most people do. I think he's an okay and kind of funny character who's useful in giving little children like my younger sister reason to be interested in Star Wars by being an introductory character. Start out with the kid-oriented funny junk, then move on to the real good stuff after that. For that purpose, I think it's a good thing Jar Jar's in Star Wars. Yeah, he's a good character.

I feel I should list a controversial opinion of my own, now... um... I love black licorice. Like, really really love it. I may have mentioned this before.

55 minutes ago, Firerust said:

I was force-read Ranger's Apprentice in sixth grade when my teacher chose it for read-aloud, and I couldn't bring myself to be anything but irked and dissatisfied with it. In fact, one of the main reasons I didn't like it was that everyone kept going on about how much they did like it, and it got on my nerves.

I have no idea what Ranger's Apprentice is, but this pretty much describes my opinion of Harry Potter.  on its own it would be/have been fine, but the gigantic mania around it overshadows the material itself to the point that I dislike it more than I otherwise would have strictly because of how undeservedly (in my opinion) popular it is

Just now, Dunkum said:

I have no idea what Ranger's Apprentice is, but this pretty much describes my opinion of Harry Potter.  on its own it would be/have been fine, but the gigantic mania around it overshadows the material itself to the point that I dislike it more than I otherwise would have strictly because of how undeservedly (in my opinion) popular it is

Aw, that's too bad. :( Thing is, that might have been the case for me, but I loved Harry Potter long before I ever knew it had a fanbase. So instead for me, it was a discovery that there were others like me who also liked it. I was a Harry Potter fan before I even knew it was cool. If anything, it kind of leaves me feeling like "You call yourself a Harry Potter fan? Uh, no. Not like I am. Not like I was from the earliest days of my youth."

But the hype surrounding fandoms I'm not a part of does indeed sometimes turn me off from them. Like Hamilton, for example. I was immune to Hamalaria because I just found the show and the hype surrounding it so annoying, and I only ever liked two of the songs.

5 minutes ago, Firerust said:

Aw, that's too bad. :( Thing is, that might have been the case for me, but I loved Harry Potter long before I ever knew it had a fanbase. So instead for me, it was a discovery that there were others like me who also liked it. I was a Harry Potter fan before I even knew it was cool. If anything, it kind of leaves me feeling like "You call yourself a Harry Potter fan? Uh, no. Not like I am. Not like I was from the earliest days of my youth."

But the hype surrounding fandoms I'm not a part of does indeed sometimes turn me off from them. Like Hamilton, for example. I was immune to Hamalaria because I just found the show and the hype surrounding it so annoying, and I only ever liked two of the songs.

I really agree with all of that.. and so does the other people on this thread so far... so does that mean this is a uncontroversial opinion??? :ph34r: 

Also until you have seen some of the the Destiny community, you don't know the appearance of a true salt mine.

Hm....

Controversial opinion...

All of the Marvel Movies save Iron Man one pretty much are all meh at best,

Thanos is one of the most both immoral and stupid characters I have ever seen. 

But I do suppose he is a Disney villain :P

10 minutes ago, Firerust said:

On my end, I had already been into Fantasy in general before HP came out.  So when everyone around me started reading Harry Potter, I was the one guy who had already read Lord of the Rings.  So to me the frustration at the time was that there were better things available but everyone was talking about this series like it was some amazing thing.

Also when your default mental picture of a wizard is Gandalf the Grey, it is hard to get excited about middle schoolers waving twigs around.

1 hour ago, Firerust said:

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

On my end, I had already been into Fantasy in general before HP came out.  So when everyone around me started reading Harry Potter, I was the one guy who had already read Lord of the Rings.  So to me the frustration at the time was that there were better things available but everyone was talking about this series like it was some amazing thing.

Also when your default mental picture of a wizard is Gandalf the Grey, it is hard to get excited about middle schoolers waving twigs around.

So far as Harry Potter went for me, I was a kid and young teen at the height of Pottermania—I was 14 when the Prisoner of Azkaban movie was released, but I didn't read the books until I was almost 18. My parents were firmly on the anti-Potter bandwagon, and I grew up being both fascinated and somewhat frightened of the series. I'd read the Lord of the Rings series by that point, and Narnia, and whatever other fantasy books I could sneak past my parents (like Eragon) and I was starving for some good fantasy in a household that only barely approved of the genre. When I finally decided to give them a try, I was so afraid of sin by proxy that I'd already decided that if the books were as awful as everyone in my parents' circle made them out to be, I'd put the book back on the school library shelf and walk away….and realized I loved it. 

I think the whole "forbidden fruit" angle did play a role in my love of the series, but more in the sense that I'd been mostly shielded from the hype and spoilers, and been brought up to think they were going to be horrible and evil and dark. So when the books turned out to be fun and full of feels and well-drawn characters and worldbuilding that reads well, I wound up being pleasantly surprised at every turn. I remained an avid Potterhead for many years, writing fanfic and even sneaking out to see the final movie with my brother. 

I've really only pulled back from the fandom within the past few years, as it's become far more toxic than I ever remember it being. And when I reread PoA recently, I was disappointed to find that it had more flaws than I'd remembered. It was still a good read, and there was still so much I loved about it….but it wasn't the mind-blowing experience it had been ten years before. I think the growing toxicity of the fandom, in many ways, made me more aware of flaws that I had once been willing to ignore or gloss over. 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

I've made my contempt for Harry Potter known, so I won't comment directly, but use it as a segue way to complain about the results of the Great American Read. 

Number 1 was To Kill a Mockingbird, because of course it was. Harry Potter was number 3, Gone with the Wind and Chronicles of Narnia were in the top 10... and I just want to shake America and yell "Read different books!" to its face. I mean, what's the point of reading if you only read the same few books? 

Of course, there's a shared cultural aspect to it. Popular stuff allows for mediated conversation. I am more likely to have a meaningful conversation with a stranger about Harry Potter than the infinitely better A Dance to the Music of Time. I just wish people weren't so rabidly cultish about it. It destroys one's literacy, and one should never read the same book every year.

Unless that book is A Lonesome Night in October ;)

Edited by TheOrlionThatComesBefore

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

So far as Harry Potter went for me, I was a kid and young teen at the height of Pottermania—I was 14 when the Prisoner of Azkaban movie was released, but I didn't read the books until I was almost 18. My parents were firmly on the anti-Potter bandwagon, and I grew up being both fascinated and somewhat frightened of the series. I'd read the Lord of the Rings series by that point, and Narnia, and whatever other fantasy books I could sneak past my parents (like Eragon) and I was starving for some good fantasy in a household that only barely approved of the genre. When I finally decided to give them a try, I was so afraid of sin by proxy that I'd already decided that if the books were as awful as everyone in my parents' circle made them out to be, I'd put the book back on the school library shelf and walk away….and realized I loved it. 

I think the whole "forbidden fruit" angle did play a role in my love of the series, but more in the sense that I'd been mostly shielded from the hype and spoilers, and been brought up to think they were going to be horrible and evil and dark. So when the books turned out to be fun and full of feels and well-drawn characters and worldbuilding that reads well, I wound up being pleasantly surprised at every turn. I remained an avid Potterhead for many years, writing fanfic and even sneaking out to see the final movie with my brother. 

I've really only pulled back from the fandom within the past few years, as it's become far more toxic than I ever remember it being. And when I reread PoA recently, I was disappointed to find that it had more flaws than I'd remembered. It was still a good read, and there was still so much I loved about it….but it wasn't the mind-blowing experience it had been ten years before. I think the growing toxicity of the fandom, in many ways, made me more aware of flaws that I had once been willing to ignore or gloss over. 

Sorry to hear that :-( My family is rather religious, as am I, but it was them who introduced me to fantasy and science fiction. My dad and my sister even like the Golden Compass, though I haven't read it, and my earliest memories of reading were from the Chronicles of Narnia, which my mother read to me when I had bad dreams. We all read and enjoyed Harry Potter, though it might be that the accusations of witchcraft weren't very strong in my country, or at least where I live. I still wasn't allowed to watch Power Rangers though :-P

A controversial opinion of mine is that you can enjoy a book or series or television series or movie series or ... etc., and be able to hold a conversation with a fan about it, without having to be a member of the fan community, and that a terrible adaptation of something, or a terrible new book or movie doesn't have to diminish the series - the Last Jedi, for example, was a fun, enjoyable movie with some great parts, and I would definitely watch it again, but it also had several moves I thought didn't help, and certain character interactions could have been improved on - it isn't my favourite movie, but it wasn't bad, though I understand why several others don't like it.

22 hours ago, Firerust said:

I feel I should list a controversial opinion of my own, now... um... I love black licorice. Like, really really love it. I may have mentioned this before.

OH MY GOSH BLACK LICORICE IS AMAZING!!!

17 hours ago, Ixthos said:

A controversial opinion of mine is that you can enjoy a book or series or television series or movie series or ... etc., and be able to hold a conversation with a fan about it, without having to be a member of the fan community, and that a terrible adaptation of something, or a terrible new book or movie doesn't have to diminish the series - the Last Jedi, for example, was a fun, enjoyable movie with some great parts, and I would definitely watch it again, but it also had several moves I thought didn't help, and certain character interactions could have been improved on - it isn't my favourite movie, but it wasn't bad, though I understand why several others don't like it.

I agree with literally all of this.

A few more.

Being on your phone in public isn't bad. It's not as good as face-to-face, but if there is nobody to talk to or nothing to do, it's completely okay. You don't have to make friends with everyone.

Zane was actually a pretty alright character.

Lyricless music is the best kind of music.

K-pop is just... no. No. No.

Ridley did NOT need to be in Smash Ultimate, and neither did Isabelle.

And the biggest controversial opinion of mine: The Furry Fandom is a good fandom mostly, though it does have bad parts.

To add my two spheres:

Ranger's Apprentice was not bad, but not great either.

I haven't heard of Harry Potter having a toxic fandom. But then, I thought it was meh. However, the Fantastic Beasts movie was better than the series.

The book, Catcher in the Rye, was one of the absolute worst things I have ever read. I felt soiled by association after reading it. How it become required summer reading is baffling.

Also, teenagers shouldn't be allowed social media.

Rap is not music.

2 hours ago, SilverTiger said:

The book, Catcher in the Rye, was one of the absolute worst things I have ever read. I felt soiled by association after reading it. How it become required summer reading is baffling.

Rap is not music.

I 100% agree with that. Especially with the last statement.

I couldn't finish WOT. Even knowing that the last books were written by Brandon Sanderson, I simply couldn't finish it. One of the few series I stopped while reading.

Time is an illusion, a mere way of thinking adopted by the majority of the human race to explain the progression of Space...

Oh, wait, this thread is for books and movies and stuff. Never mind. :)

'Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians' series is Brandon Sanderson's 3rd best series, second only to Mistborn Era 1 and the Stormlight Archive.

Classics are just books someone randomly decided were important. They were never intended to be disected and destroyed with analyzing.

William Golding's Lord of the Flies shouldn't be famous.

Neither should War and Peace. It's literally known for being dry.

Harry Potter is over done. The books aren't really that great.

Rick Riordan tries too hard to stick political messages into his books.

K-pop is just American pop music in another language. Why is it such a big deal?

On 10/26/2018 at 10:43 AM, Inklingspren said:

Zane was actually a pretty alright character.

Zane, after Szeth and Spook, is my third favorite Sanderson character.

And finally, just because a book makes you cry, doesn't mean it's a good book.

Classics are classics for a reason. That reason being they were culturally relevant or influential. So yes, things like Harry Potter and Ender's Game will get undue praise because of the momentum their classic status lends them. 

I feel a lot of books get a bad rap because they were assigned as school reading. That's somewhat unfair to the book, I believe, as the judgement is based on a "bad" school experience and not the merits of the book. I mean, of course you are more likely to enjoy books you choose to read over ones you are required to. 

Catcher in the Rye was good, though it is not a young adult novel. It might resonate with some youth going through a tough time, but that hardly means it will resonate with most kids. 

Lord of the Flies was required school reading since its publication. I have always liked it, but its status as required reading means that Golding's other books are almost completely overlooked, even though the guy won a Nobel Prize in Literature. 

Leo Tolstoy is a god among writers. 

And to top off my controversial post: the Bible is a terrible book that very few people outside of a blatant Christian culture would ever want to force themselves through. It's also the perfect example of what I mean by "classic."

The Bible can be pretty dry on its own, but some commentators are really amusing to read. At least the Jewish ones - I've never read any others. Sometimes they've left a hint of a joke in their words or an interesting fact according to the science of their time. Like: "If you want to know medical advice, why are you reading this? Go to a doctor of your day and age" except in Ivrit.

And since this needs another controversial opinion:

Math textbooks are really fun to read. That's what I call light reading.

A lot of the Bible’s more interesting and humorous bits have been lost to time and translation. For instance, I’ve heard that the book of Jonah was intended as a satire, evidenced by things like the king of Nineveh decreeing all of the city’s inhabitants, livestock included, wear mourning clothes in an attempt to divert God’s wrath. And in the book of Genesis, the word used to describe Eve—ezer—is often translated as helper or helpmeet in English versions, even though the word itself is used elsewhere in scripture to describe military allies of the Israelites and others filling far stronger roles than simple “helpers.” 

It’s not a book I’ll read for fun, and since leaving the church I don’t read it much at all, but I think judging it by the translations we have, translations that often leave out far more than they retain, is a mistake. 

The translations are what are widely available and what shaped culture, I feel it's perfectly fine to critique the Bible based on that without reading several commentaries (which I have), consult different translations (tambien), study it extensively for years and study ancient language (didn't do this).

Now, if we are talking about what it really says and means, that's a completely different story! :D

8 hours ago, Gancho Libre said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Moash is not evil.

Yep, there's my opinion!

True statement. He's not evil, he's just

Spoiler

bad, corrupt, destructive, hateful, heinous, malevolent, malicious, nefarious, unpleasant, vicious, vile, villainous, and wicked.

Spoiler

These are just thesaurus.com's synonyms. There are undoubtedly many more.

but terribly misunderstood. :P