Controversial Opinions

Ho boy, here we go.

• The Wheel of Time books were NOT that bad, and the closing action of the series (the final three books) was wonderfully carried out and written (thanks Sanderson)
    • Add-on to that- Nynaeve is awesome, Rand (post-redemption) is phenomenal, Perrin stayed awesome, Aviendha irked me, Galad is pretty great, the best characters were Androl and Pevara
  • Tale of Two Cities? Terribly boring. TERRIBLY boring
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is NOT a racist book, nor should it be treated as such (i.e., censored); it does make use of highly offensive and, quite frankly, evil slurs, but they are used to add that all-important context and historical relativity to the story. 
  • I LOVED the Lord of the Rings books- but mostly because of all the DEPTH that Tolkien put into the world.
    • Similarly, I find the Silmarillion fascinating.
  • I refuse to read or watch anything connected to A Song of Ice and Fire.
  • Ebooks are THE BEST
  • The Hunger Games? Good! Maybe even excellent, despite being- difficult, to read. Divergent? I'll pass.
  • I didn't enjoy Black Panther all that much, but it's 99% because of those terrible CGI rhinos.
  • Elhokar was one of my favorite characters in Words of Radiance, despite (or maybe because of) his mistakes.
    • Moash can go die in a hole.
  • Star Wars: The Last Jedi was AWESOME, Solo was actually pretty good, The Force Awakens was fun, and Rogue One was a good action flick

On 7/10/2018 at 11:18 PM, goody153 said:

• In WoT i really wished that Nynaeve and Rand later became their canon pair. Or Rand and Moiraine alternatively.
  •   Hide contents

Y'know, it's kinda funny, Moiraine (later in the series) mentions she saw a future where she and Rand DID become lovers.

The results were so disastrous she refuses to talk to anyone about what might've happened.

A lot of people have been commenting on Star Wars here lately, and this is something I’m very passionate about, so I’ll just drop my opinion here (spoilers for TLJ):

Spoiler

Star Wars needs to evolve. It cannot stay the same. If it did, it would die as a franchise, and as a story. I liked TFA, but it was a rehash of ANH. TLJ and Rian Johnson attempted to do something about this. They killed of Snoke and Luke because the franchise needs to move on. We have had mentor stories, we have had evil emperors, we have had all that already. TLJ, say whatever you want of it, is a new story. So is Solo, and Rogue One. They are expanding the Star Wars universe, into a place where we can watch great movies which doesn’t depend on Skywalkers, Death Stars or R2-D2. They have introduced one of the greatest villains of all time in Kylo Ren, they have given us a lot of other great characters, with arcs and stories unseen in Star Wars movies before: Poe Dameron, Tobias Beckett, Cassian Andor, the list goes on.

In the end I think that while there might never be a new OT for a lot of people, we have to value the fact that Star Wars is evolving. After all, most of us prefer Cultivation over Preservation, don’t we?

If i'm being totally honest i felt that Snoke and Kylo was like none-issue which is a bad thing for me since if i can't feel the antagonist of the story being threatening or ominous then they're probably not that good(at least for me of course others may have found them good villain but not me .. Kylo didn't feel competent enough and Snoke just seemed like another generic behind the throne villain)

As unique as Kylo is he pales in comparison to Prequel Anakin's (dialogue and acting does seem awkward but he's quite morally polarizing which is great) and then Sideous just made the sequel antagonists look like generic villains(i mean he literally played chess from both sides of the board while nobody even knows they're playing lmao)

Spoiler

While i'm not one who found Luke's death distressing. Like Toaster Retribution said it fine if Starwars moved forward i'm even glad that they didn't go for the Darth Sidous revival storyline which was terrible. I mean Sidous was like the ultimate sith and was portrayed fairly well but his story is done.

I'd rather if they just adapted the Old Republic (so many great stories from there Mandalorean, Revan, Metra Surik, Vitiate, Bane etc) and we'd have the fullblown sith vs jedi that everybody wanted. Like the rule of two is a very interesting concept but that concept did stop us from having a fullblown war like the old republic used to have.

On 8/4/2018 at 1:22 PM, HipsterStick said:

Y'know, it's kinda funny, Moiraine (later in the series) mentions she saw a future where she and Rand DID become lovers.

The results were so disastrous she refuses to talk to anyone about what might've happened.

Yeah i remember Moiraine considered this one as she was insanely dedicated to help the DR fulfill his role than any help would do. She's alot more pragmatic than we give her credit for. I mean 

Spoiler

which Aes Sedai did willingly bow and make deference for Rand without being coerced. It was actually just her(in her final days with Rand she literally carried food for him like a servant just so that she gets time to teach him stuff). Meanwhile the rest has so much pride that they'd rather let the world be damned than them bowing down on somebody who would save them.

It's weird that Nynaeve and Rand's interaction felt more natural later than the other actual romantic pairs despite not being lovers at all. It's kinda like why i thought Siri and Susebron were the best pair Sanderson wrote because they did feel natural

Edited by goody153

• 3 weeks later...
On Thursday, March 08, 2018 at 7:50 PM, Ammanas said:

I don't think Studio Ghibli films are any good. Everyone loves them and I have tried so, so hard to get into them but I just have to admit they are not for me. I have watched Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro,  Kiki's Delivery Service, Porko Rosso, Howle's Moving Castle and Spirited Away. I enjoy some anime so its not the animation style that bothers me either.

The problem is you haven't seen the 3 best Miyazaki movies.

Laputa (or Castle in the Sky) is one of my favorite movies of all times. It has one of the best robot designs of all times, floating cities, sky pirates and the protagonist Potzu is one of the best heroes ever.

Nausica the valley of the wind is another amazing movie. The art is great, the music is amazing and Lord Yupa has the best mustache in the history of mustaches.

One of the best action movies ever made (and also one of the funniest) is Castle Cagliostro. The protagonist is a thief, Lupin III, and the story is amazing. The pacing is great, and it's one of the best movies of all times.

Kiki's delivery service is a HORRIBLE movie I saw a 3 minutes ad for it the showed the whole plot of the movie. It's a movie to watch only if you have a kid that loves cats.

Porco Rosso is just ok. The plotting is strange and doesn't really make much sense, I think Miyazaki made it because he loves planes from WWII. There's actually a book, Daydream Notebook, that collects all of the WWII comics he did for the magazine Hobby Japan that is phenomenal, but Porco Rosso the movie is just kind of dull.

Spirited Away is good but way better with the subtitles, the Japanese voice actors are great. The story is pretty peculiar, but the art is really good. I could see if you're not a fan of miyazaki's movies how some of the character designs might throw you (like the giant headed witch).

Princess monoke is a good movie, but pretty violent and also pretty heavy handed with it's environmental message. It's like is Captain planet and the planeteers were Punisher style rogue vigilantes. I still like it, but I think it's just pretty good.

Totoro is an amazing movie, but it's a movie without conflict. The scariest part of the movie is when Mei is threatened by a bleating goat. I have 2 daughters that are a year and a half apart in age, and it's really a movie about the golden time of childhood. I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I personally love that movie.

For all of the people who were saying they don't like anime try watching some of the best series/and or movies, if it's done right it's absolutely amazing.

Ergo Proxy

Rahxephon

The Rose of Versailles (about the French revolution)

Cowboys Bebop

Trigun

The Galaxy Express 999 movie

Starblazers (seasons 1 and 2, skip the comet empire season3)

Unpopular opinions:

The Tim burton Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie should never have been made. I love Tim Burton, but the original gene wilder 1970's version was perfect.

The Harry Potter Audiobook are WAY better than the books or the movies. Jim Dale knocked those out of the park.

1 hour ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

For all of the people who were saying they don't like anime try watching some of the best series/and or movies, if it's done right it's absolutely amazing.

Ergo Proxy

Rahxephon

The Rose of Versailles (about the French revolution)

Cowboys Bebop

Trigun

The Galaxy Express 999 movie

Starblazers (seasons 1 and 2, skip the comet empire season3)

I've only watched 2 of those, and I got to say I'm not sure how much Trigun belongs on that list.  depends on your target audience, because, while I love it, there are definitely things about it to dislike.  Vash is a pretty severe creep when he isn't in gunfighter or hippie mode, and that could easily be a turn off to someone watching it for the first time.  Cowboy Bebop cannot be argued with though.  I'd also add FLCL to the list - a show I absolutely loved from teh start even though it took like 2 or 3 complete watches to figure out what the heck was going on.

Blha

19 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

I've only watched 2 of those, and I got to say I'm not sure how much Trigun belongs on that list.  depends on your target audience, because, while I love it, there are definitely things about it to dislike.

I watched it like 15 years ago though, what was so creepy about Vash?

17 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

I'd also add FLCL to the list - a show I absolutely loved from teh start even though it took like 2 or 3 complete watches to figure out what the heck was going on.

Haven't seen that one, will definitely check it out!

If you like funny anime with big robots, you should check out Full Metal Panic it's a great show.

Also, another one to add to the list, which is one of the first animes that I watched, is Vampire Hunter D. It's totally a weird ride,but the character design is awesome (Amano, the same artist that did the character design for the Final Fantasy Franchise through FF9), and if you can get past the protagonist's talking hand, is a remarkable movie.

I didn't put this one on the original list, but Akira and Memories by Katsuhiro Otomo are amazing.

The manga for Akira is far better than the movie, but the movie is amazing, especially the bike fight against the clown gang. That is some ridiculously good animation. Not to mention the mechanical design, totally top notch.

42 minutes ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

I watched it like 15 years ago though, what was so creepy about Vash?

Off the top of my head: in the 3rd or 4th episode he tries to drop down in front of a woman's bathroom window while she is showering.  in the fight with Dominique the Cyclops, he shoots off her buttons and tells her he could have groped her.  I vaguely recall there being others, but I can't remember the specifics right now.  It drops off in the second half of the series, which focuses more on the action, and where he is more and more romantically linked to Meryl, but early on he is definitely a creep.

Edited by Dunkum

8 hours ago, Dunkum said:

Off the top of my head: in the 3rd or 4th episode he tries to drop down in front of a woman's bathroom window while she is showering.  in the fight with Dominique the Cyclops, he shoots off her buttons and tells her he could have groped her.  I vaguely recall there being others, but I can't remember the specifics right now.  It drops off in the second half of the series, which focuses more on the action, and where he is more and more romantically linked to Meryl, but early on he is definitely a creep.

Vash is definitely a womanizer at the beginning. 

17 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Kiki's delivery service is a HORRIBLE movie I saw a 3 minutes ad for it the showed the whole plot of the movie. It's a movie to watch only if you have a kid that loves cats.

t of the park.

Unpopular opinion: My favorite movie of all time is Kiki's Delivery Service. I watch it at least 2-3 times a year. I know no one agrees but the art is phenomenal, the ost is amazing, and I love the story of a young woman trying to find her place in society. (I have the art-book where Miyazaki explains that was the actual plot of the movie which I think most people miss since its to slow for them).

Second Unpopular Opinion: Superman is the worst Superhero of all time. He is boring, plain, and overall the worst. He doesn't deserve to stand next to Spider-Man or Batman as the most popular superheros. Hes just awful.

• 4 weeks later...

Unpopular opinion: Superman IV: Quest for Peace Is a must-see. Not only is it one of the most brilliant comedies ever made, but it has the best, vaguest super villain threat ever: 

Nuclear Man: ...or I will hurt people.

The savage tone in which this line is delivered encapsulates the pure comedic genius behind this film. 

17 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Unpopular opinion: Superman IV: Quest for Peace Is a must-see. Not only is it one of the most brilliant comedies ever made, but it has the best, vaguest super villain threat ever: 

The savage tone in which this line is delivered encapsulates the pure comedic genius behind this film. 

Hmm... I would say that Superman IV (as much as I was dissatisfied with it) is like Plan 9 From Outer Space or Troll 2 in that it's humor comes from how bad it is. I mean, it's such a terrible movie, but that makes for it being kind of funny at times.

The real joke is that the movie was never meant to be a comedy, but became one anyway because of how dumb it is. Good stupid fun.

As much as I think it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen, I also agree with your really good point.

And if we're still listing unpopular opinions...

Milk and cereal should NEVER go together, unless it's oatmeal. But adding milk to dry cereal is one of the most disgusting and abhorrent abuses of food I can think of, and I don't understand how people could possibly like it.

10 hours ago, Niteshado said:

Actually its one of my favorite Hayao Miyazaki movies. 

There are dozens of us!!! It's so good :P. Second favorite movie is The Sword in the Stone. For all the same reasons as Kiki's Delivery Service.

Another unpopular opinion: I like Denna from The Name of the wind. Reasons, because Kvothe is a terrible person and he deserves her. In addition once I understood that their relationship was akin to ships passing in the night I began to enjoy those scenes. But mostly because she won't let herself be won over.

I don't like Ranger's apprentice.

Fortnite should be banned everywhere.

Football (american) is okay at best.

Wheel of Time was meh.

Undertale itself is good, but the fanbase is one of the worst fanbases ever.

FNAF is meh.

Jar Jar Binks is a good character

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2018 at 3:35 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

A lot of people have been commenting on Star Wars here lately, and this is something I’m very passionate about, so I’ll just drop my opinion here (spoilers for TLJ):

Hide contents

Star Wars needs to evolve. It cannot stay the same. If it did, it would die as a franchise, and as a story. I liked TFA, but it was a rehash of ANH. TLJ and Rian Johnson attempted to do something about this. They killed of Snoke and Luke because the franchise needs to move on. We have had mentor stories, we have had evil emperors, we have had all that already. TLJ, say whatever you want of it, is a new story. So is Solo, and Rogue One. They are expanding the Star Wars universe, into a place where we can watch great movies which doesn’t depend on Skywalkers, Death Stars or R2-D2. They have introduced one of the greatest villains of all time in Kylo Ren, they have given us a lot of other great characters, with arcs and stories unseen in Star Wars movies before: Poe Dameron, Tobias Beckett, Cassian Andor, the list goes on.

In the end I think that while there might never be a new OT for a lot of people, we have to value the fact that Star Wars is evolving. After all, most of us prefer Cultivation over Preservation, don’t we?

Actually, one of the things I found funny about TLJ is how much it is made of what came before. In my view, the movie is a butchering of what we've had before, just with far worse writing. 

Since it seems how this thread is, here. Nothing disney has done with Star Wars has really impressed me as good art. The movies have good production, but they don't do anything with it to add to the story in my view, rather unlike ROTS, which used, just as an example, just the paint job of the venators to help tell the story. I do suppose I've heard some good things about some of the novels, such as Thrawn, but nothing else. No good movies, no good games (rather disappointing to me since some of my favorite games are SW), nothing.

It feels odd to me to say, but only 4/13 SW movies are good. That leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, but it is what it is, from my perspective.

New things is good, though I really think we should just have new IP's for really new things.

Also, Kylo Ren sucks, is a whiny, incompetent kid who can't beat someone who picked up a lightsaber for the first time. 

Also, I can't even remember who Cassian or Tobias is.

First, nice to see @The Invested Beard again. 

Second @Secrets, Kylo Ren is one thing I am very passionate about, so I’ll just put this here to explain why he is so awesome:

Kylo is basically the consequence of Lukes, Leias and Hans mistakes and failures. He is the guy who in a way paid the price for their greatness. He was expected to grow up to be as awesome as they are, but was neglected by Leia and Han who had better things to do. That forced him to live with the pressure of being great, without the help he needed to handle the expectations. 

The Kylo we see in the movies is the result of that. He has never felt loved, and always felt a pressure to prove himself. At the same time, he knows that he is weak, and that scares him, which is why he is whiny and temperamental. He is not really a bad person at the start, just a very confused, scared and lonely boy who hides his fear behind a mask and the legacy of Darth Vader. And then, in TLJ, Kylo chooses evil. No one has showed him a way where power doesn’t matter. He gets the chance to become the greatest person in the universe, and he takes it. He chooses evil, ultimately because no one, not even the original heroes, managed to show their love for him. It is deeply tragic, and a fantastic story. 

As for Cassian and Beckett, Beckett is Woody Harrelson and Cassian is the morally grey rebel :-D

8 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Kylo is basically the consequence of Lukes, Leias and Hans mistakes and failures. He is the guy who in a way paid the price for their greatness. He was expected to grow up to be as awesome as they are, but was neglected by Leia and Han who had better things to do. That forced him to live with the pressure of being great, without the help he needed to handle the expectations. 

The Kylo we see in the movies is the result of that. He has never felt loved, and always felt a pressure to prove himself. At the same time, he knows that he is weak, and that scares him, which is why he is whiny and temperamental. He is not really a bad person at the start, just a very confused, scared and lonely boy who hides his fear behind a mask and the legacy of Darth Vader. And then, in TLJ, Kylo chooses evil. No one has showed him a way where power doesn’t matter. He gets the chance to become the greatest person in the universe, and he takes it. He chooses evil, ultimately because no one, not even the original heroes, managed to show their love for him. It is deeply tragic, and a fantastic story. 

File this under my controversial opinion, but overall, I quite enjoyed TLJ. 

To add on to what you said here, not only do I agree, but I find it interesting how often characters who are emotionally broken in some way, shape, or form are dismissed as "whiny" or having an annoying attitude by readers or viewers. Shallan gets that treatment too, when the abuse she's suffered is even clearer, and more harrowing, than what Kylo went through. 

However, that's not to say that Kylo didn't go through crem. A lot of it is implied, rather than shown, but it's still there if you know what to look for. He's the kid who was told he had an incredible legacy to live up to, but was never given guidance in how to live up to that legacy. He was given expectations, but not validation or moral training or anything else a kid needs to meet those expectations. He had to deal with his parents separating, with all the drama and infighting and being forced to pick sides that all that entailed, and I think it's safe to say he probably internalized at least some of it. And when Luke turned on him, that was clearly a devastating blow. Is it any wonder he began to idolize Darth Vader, the one person in his family who also turned to the Dark Side? The one person who embraced the same darkness Kylo feels consuming him? The one person he was convinced would understand him? 

Kylo isn't a good person. He's screwed up, and he's done some horrible things. If he's to have a redemption arc at this point, he'll have a lot of atoning to do. But he's not just a whiny, bratty kid lashing out for no reason. He's from a dysfunctional family that the rest of the world idolizes, and that dysfunction hasn't left him unscathed. He's very much a villain, but he's a far deeper villain than a lot of people give him credit for.