Splinter of Ruin

SilverTiger

So, we know that some of Preservation's power is missing, because he used it to create humans. That would indicate that there is an inbalance in Harmony between Preservation and Ruin's power. Not good. So, my theory is that Harmony gave the extra Ruin power to Kelsier to balance it out. Evidence if favor: Kelsier has a Hemalurgic spike in one eye, which could indicate Ruinic influence, and we find out in Secret History that Kelsier is more strongly connected to Ruin by natural inclination.

Also, what if Kelsier is now a worldhopper? He could be traversing the cosmere, finding things out for Harmony. But with the whole Trell fiasco, he is currently unable to reach Harmony, which is why Sazed is so worried (it was mentioned that outside forces are preventing him from finding things out about the rest of the Cosmere).

Comments?

I believe the amount of Investiture to balanced Harmony will be too much for Kelsier to have It and be' able to leave Scadrial.

Many people (me included) think that Harmony repeated the old schemes and crafted Harmonium with more Ruin than Preservation in it to balance himself

Minor nitpick: Preservation put more of its power into humanity than Ruin did rather than being the only one to do so, but this still resulted in the imbalance. Brandon was asked about this and implied that Sazed is doing something with that extra power, but it could just as easily be making harmonium more 'Ruin heavy' which would eventually balance out the scales. Or he could produce more atium, if for no other reason than to keep Marsh around longer.

The idea of giving the power to someone isn't impossible, but it doesn't strike me as terribly likely. Kelsier might have been more naturally inclined towards that Shard's power but getting whacked with a huge amount of unfiltered Ruin would not do good things to his personality and I can't see Sazed subjecting a friend to that. It also would limit Kelsier's ability to leave the Scadrian System as noted. Cognitive Shadows are generally bound to the region associated with whatever Investiture has permeated their soul and it's difficult but not impossible for them to leave. Vasher knows how to do it for example but it's apparently the sort of trick that takes time to learn and there's likely to be an inverse relationship between the amount of Investiture involved and the ease of travelling outside the Cognitive bounds of the associated system. The total amount of 'extra Ruin' that Sazed has is probably quite a bit more Investiture.than a single Divine Breath so it would likely be much harder for a 'Splinter of Ruin' to leave the system than it was for Vasher to leave Nalthis, even if said Splinter knows how to do it.

23 minutes ago, SilverTiger said:

Okay, so maybe a variation of my original theory is that Marsh and Kelsier are both Splinters of Ruin. That was my original idea, anyway.

Marsh can't be a Splinter. A Splinter is sentient Investiture and Marsh is a mortal man (well an Inquisitor but still a mortal).

Anyway, I am quite sure there is a WoB about the absence of Ruin or Preservation's Splinters

What if Harmony is letting all the extra Ruin power turn into a shard pool? The Well of Ascension is gone and I'm pretty sure Sanderson said that the Pits of Hathsin were on top of a pool which is where the atium came from. So Harmony could just be allowing a tiny portion of Ruin to condense into a perpendiculary( I probably sppelled that wrong).

5 minutes ago, Aon Ati said:

What if Harmony is letting all the extra Ruin power turn into a shard pool? The Well of Ascension is gone and I'm pretty sure Sanderson said that the Pits of Hathsin were on top of a pool which is where the atium came from. So Harmony could just be allowing a tiny portion of Ruin to condense into a perpendiculary( I probably sppelled that wrong).

Most likely Harmony will develop his own combined Shardpool (in my opinion. 

I don't think that Scadrial will naturally develop splinters like we see on other Shardworlds. The excess investiture that normally creates them was used up in the creation of the world and its people. 

2 hours ago, SilverTiger said:

There is evidence to suggest that Kelsier is not on Scadrial, so he could still be a splinter.

What makes you think you think Kel has been off Scadrial? Not saying it couldn't happen of course, I'm just not sure what evidence you're speaking of. 

And just for clarity, Kel definitely is not a Splinter. He could hold one, but he can't be one. No human can. 

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/420-report-vericon/#

Puck (paraphrased)

How is a Splinter different from a Sliver?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Let me see... You have met splinters in Elantris, Warbreaker, and in Way of Kings. You have not met them in Mistborn.

Puck (paraphrased)

I feel like we know that. So, qualitatively, what's the difference?

Qualitatively, they're reverses of one another. A Sliver is a human intelligence who has held the power and released it. A Splinter has never been human.

Puck (paraphrased)

But it derives from a Shard's power.

Yes. That's not it completely, but there's at least something to think about.

9 hours ago, coppercloud said:

It's Wax . Bleeder says so . He's Harmony's ruin. Wax was born with more ruin in him probably or something. 

It is a metaphor, like the fact that Tensoon is his Preservation.

The amount of Ruin's Investiture to balance Harmony would be probably worth too much for a regular human and nothing seems to indicate his soul has something weird. After all giving all this Ruin's power into someone's soul will affect him drastically...it's like be 99% Ruin and 1% Preservation

40 minutes ago, SilverTiger said:

Okay, so Kelsier is holding a splinter of Ruin, got it after Era 1, and is currently not on Scadrial. We haven't met him as a splinter-holder, though.

Or, as we have absolutely no knowledge of Scadrian splinters existing, Kel is a Sliver of Preservation, and is just doing Kel things. 

• Chaos locked this topic