[OB] [Edgedancer spoilers too] How Long Have They Been Watching

Wreith

So, obviously, a couple weeks ago we got a Dalinar flashback where it is implied that he might have killed a child to get his Shardblade.

I was re-reading Edgedancer yesterday and a line caught my attention.

Edgedancer

Spoiler

Lift is talking to Arclo the Dysian Amian after he has just killed two in-training Skybreakers.

He's about to use phrases we're familiar with from the back of WoK and discuss our proto-Radiants being watched.

In talking about his killing the Skybreakers, he says, "They were not capable of killing me, so I can't plead self-defense, any more than a soldier could plead it in murdering a child" [emphasis mine]

I realize it's probably too soon to say, but I'd like to know if this is just an analogy that was pulled from the air or is it possible that our watchers from the book blurbs have been watching for THAT long and this is actually relevant information...

I'm sure that the Amians would disagree that anything that happened during Dalinar's life was THAT long ago. With respect to the other proto-radiants, it makes sense to assume they could have been watched from the time they became objects of consideration for a nahel bond from their respective class of spren. Dalinar was likely not being actively considered by the Stormfather at this time, and even then I doubt it would be known to the Amians, even if their hoardlings can see and hear everything on the continent. However, given the historical significance of Gavilar's reunification campaign, as well as the existence of Hoidsense and feruchemical luck, I guess it is possible they could have known to watch the Kholin brothers before they even began. Regardless, that's a cool parallel you caught. 

1 hour ago, Trellium said:

I'm sure that the Amians would disagree that anything that happened during Dalinar's life was THAT long ago. With respect to the other proto-radiants, it makes sense to assume they could have been watched from the time they became objects of consideration for a nahel bond from their respective class of spren. Dalinar was likely not being actively considered by the Stormfather at this time, and even then I doubt it would be known to the Amians, even if their hoardlings can see and hear everything on the continent. However, given the historical significance of Gavilar's reunification campaign, as well as the existence of Hoidsense and feruchemical luck, I guess it is possible they could have known to watch the Kholin brothers before they even began. Regardless, that's a cool parallel you caught. 

I agree 30ish years is probably not a long time for an Amian.

What if they weren't watching Dalinar then, but Gavilar? We know he had started being more introspective at this point and we know (strongly suspect?) he had the visions before Dalinar did. They would know of Dalinar's actions that way.

Edited by Wreith
elaboration

• Argent changed the title to [OB] [Edgedancer spoilers too] How Long Have They Been Watching
  • Chaos locked this topic