So, I am working on an unofficial recipe book containing fan-favourite meals from stormlight, and other books. To make the best dishes I can, I need to choose those that seem appetizing to most readers, as opposed to the overcooked slop of grains provided to Kaladin by Tvlakv before becoming a bridgeman.

What do *you* want to eat, and what do you remember about it? Descriptions, reactions, anything. Quotes greatly appreciated!

Also if possible, I would love your support on Patreon.

Edited by Kat Kfir

I want the pancakes that were dedicated to (presumably) Taln! Y'know, the ones that Lift didn't get to eat...

More seriously, though, Chouta. Only because everyone loves it(even Kaladin....) and I feel gypped that I can't have it. 

31 minutes ago, Julio said:

I want the pancakes that were dedicated to (presumably) Taln! Y'know, the ones that Lift didn't get to eat...

More seriously, though, Chouta. Only because everyone loves it(even Kaladin....) and I feel gypped that I can't have it. 

What book, and maybe chapter, were the pancakes mentioned? I am rereading all books, but considering I own audiobooks, and they tend to be long (WoK 45h, Mb:FE 24h, and so forth) - any clues will be extremely helpful. And in the case of Oathbringer, it comes out as an audiobook only in more than a month, so I cannot guarantee my Chouta matches all descriptions, but there is some sort of recipe I made.

You should totally do some themed foods for men vs women in Alethkar.  I don't have my copy of WoK and WoR with me right now, but I thought I remember some descriptions of soups.  I don't know if any details were included other than that the women's were sweet and the men's were spicy.

33 minutes ago, Kat Kfir said:

What book, and maybe chapter, were the pancakes mentioned? I am rereading all books, but considering I own audiobooks, and they tend to be long (WoK 45h, Mb:FE 24h, and so forth) - any clues will be extremely helpful. And in the case of Oathbringer, it comes out as an audiobook only in more than a month, so I cannot guarantee my Chouta matches all descriptions, but there is some sort of recipe I made.

Its from edgedancer

Okay so right away I thought of chouta, so here's the description..

WoR Pt II Ch 18. Bruises

It looked like a thick piece of flatbread wrapped around something goopy.

undefinable meat slathered in some dark liquid all wrapped in overly thick bread

Also would love to see cocktail versions of the Alethi wines! (Sorry is my lush showing?)

1) Some Purelaker lucky fish stew! Remember, it needs to be a lucky fish!

2) Rocks stew (upgraded). Heavily flavored, dark with plenty of root vegetables I imagine, with some cheap stewing steak that will absorb all the flavours but still give some bridgeman chew and substance! The upgrade hints to perhaps something crunchy (topped with croutons?) to simulate shells!

3) Kaladins tallew 'Child food' he receives when dining with Roshone. I imagine this to be similar to Moroccan food, lightly spiced rice with strong fruity tastes from apricots etc.

4) Kabsal's 'Truthberry' Jam. Perhaps a mixture between stawberry and raspberry (I don't know if that's possible). 

5) Brightlords modesty. Spiced kebabs with multiple meats and vegetables showing their access to exotic things. Sprinkled with pomegranate seeds that look like little ruby chips.

Anytime Brandon describes the peppery meat Dalinar is eating, it makes my mouth water. There is spicy pork with gravy in the latest Oathbringer flashback (this was also read on tour previously), and at the first feast in the WoK, Dalinar eats some chicken.

20 hours ago, Julio said:

I'll second the pancakes from Yeddaw (Yeddian? Yeddish? Yeddese?). There are ten, (well nine) varieties, and I'm pretty sure they all got a mention somewhere in Edgedancer, but I don't have a copy right now and can't check. 

Edited by Carbonationspren
extra whitespace

Here are some quotes about the pancakes (minor Edgedancer spoilers):

Spoiler

"One of the pancakes was salty, with chopped-up vegetables. Another tasted sweet. The third variety was fluffier, almost without any substance to it, though there was some kind of sauce to dip it in. She slurped that down—who had time for dipping?"

-Edgedancer, chapter 8

Spoiler

"Lift chewed on her pancake. It was a dense variety, with mashed-up paste in the center that was too sticky and salty. The one beside it was covered in little crunchy seeds. Neither were as good as the other two varieties she'd tried over the last few hours.

Those account for seven of the ten. Another two are mentioned but they aren't described. And, of course,

Spoiler

The tenth one is dedicated to Tashi and never actually made. 

Edited by Carbonationspren
typos

The difference between men's and women's food could be interesting, curry is well known, but warm, sweet foods as dinner or lunch could be interesting. 

My first thoughts were of the lucky fish soup too, I would love to see that featured, even if we don't have a detailed description.  

Chouta as a classic, of course. 

Chicken, but since chickens are anything that has feathers and a beak on Roshar, maybe something more exotic. 

I don't know if you would like to include any Warbreaker recipes, there's a lot of seafood, which would be great too.

I think this is a great idea, I would love to see something along the lines of a recipe book. I hope we get to see the end result, +1

Edited by Ciridae

On 10/12/2017 at 0:10 PM, Velvet Thunder said:

2) Rocks stew (upgraded). Heavily flavored, dark with plenty of root vegetables I imagine, with some cheap stewing steak that will absorb all the flavours but still give some bridgeman chew and substance! The upgrade hints to perhaps something crunchy (topped with croutons?) to simulate shells!

3) Kaladins tallew 'Child food' he receives when dining with Roshone. I imagine this to be similar to Moroccan food, lightly spiced rice with strong fruity tastes from apricots etc.

5) Brightlords modesty. Spiced kebabs with multiple meats and vegetables showing their access to exotic things. Sprinkled with pomegranate seeds that look like little ruby chips.

2) No, not croutons - they grow soggy and have too much of a bready taste in my personal opinion. But I have a much better idea for how to do that. I would have to zero in of a regional analogue (West Africa or Southeast Brazil) and make my own version to calibrate the taste (I am not using a recipe, but rather synthesizing different concepts and ideas), then I will both present Rock's actual stew (in vegan and carni forms) as well as an actual horneater stew (to remind you, I think Rock was never allowed to add in any horns or shells, and so used different ingredients). 

3) Is child food ungendered? I thought it was gendered but milder in taste overall

5) I don't remember this name... When was it mentioned? I'll see what I can figure out about it

On 10/13/2017 at 2:04 AM, Bernem said:

Anytime Brandon describes the peppery meat Dalinar is eating, it makes my mouth water. There is spicy pork with gravy in the latest Oathbringer flashback (this was also read on tour previously), and at the first feast in the WoK, Dalinar eats some chicken.

The meat, I have not heard of. Or maybe I did but do not remember as I read WoR long ago and OB isn't out in audiobook form. Would love any reference you find or description you remember. I did, after a short research, conclude that the most prevalent type of (non-soulcast) meat is greatshell or crustacean meat, followed by fish, and only then (beef,) pork and chicken. As such, I will try to write greatshell steaks or some analogous mainstream food.

In the feast, both Dalinar eats chicken medallions and notes there is also a women's dish with the same medallions. These are already a part of my to-do list, with their full descriptions.

On 10/15/2017 at 0:51 AM, Carbonationspren said:

Here are some quotes about the pancakes (minor Edgedancer spoilers):

Reveal hidden contents

"One of the pancakes was salty, with chopped-up vegetables. Another tasted sweet. The third variety was fluffier, almost without any substance to it, though there was some kind of sauce to dip it in. She slurped that down—who had time for dipping?"

-Edgedancer, chapter 8

Reveal hidden contents

"Lift chewed on her pancake. It was a dense variety, with mashed-up paste in the center that was too sticky and salty. The one beside it was covered in little crunchy seeds. Neither were as good as the other two varieties she'd tried over the last few hours.

Those account for seven of the ten. Another two are mentioned but they aren't described. And, of course,

Reveal hidden contents

The tenth one is dedicated to Tashi and never actually made. 

Thank you! Five are described in your reply.

I can try making them, but frankly they are lower on my priorities as they are barely described. Some do need their own recipes - the fluffy one, or the vegetable pancake - so I will take care of those. Maybe one day I will make recipes for all ten, but then I might go to Brandon and try to convince him to make the heralds have 'tastes', like that each is associated with a style in the cuisine.

On 10/15/2017 at 5:16 PM, Ciridae said:

My first thoughts were of the lucky fish soup too, I would love to see that featured, even if we don't have a detailed description.  

Chouta as a classic, of course. 

I think this is a great idea, I would love to see something along the lines of a recipe book. I hope we get to see the end result, +1

I'll work on both! Oh, btw, chouta's vegan. Those meatballs are literally imitation meat, as they are soulcast (which also makes them taste different to actual meat)

And thanks! All of you guys are really helpful!

9 hours ago, Kat Kfir said:

The meat, I have not heard of. Or maybe I did but do not remember as I read WoR long ago and OB isn't out in audiobook form. Would love any reference you find or description you remember. I did, after a short research, conclude that the most prevalent type of (non-soulcast) meat is greatshell or crustacean meat, followed by fish, and only then (beef,) pork and chicken. As such, I will try to write greatshell steaks or some analogous mainstream food.

In the feast, both Dalinar eats chicken medallions and notes there is also a women's dish with the same medallions. These are already a part of my to-do list, with their full descriptions.

Glad to hear you have the chicken medallions.

Here is the food from the Oathbringer flashback (chapter 19):

"servants brought out slabs of pork and lanka claws for the men, cooked in a savory broth"
"Dalinar finished the claws, then turned toward his pork, a succulent slab of meat swimming in gravy."
"The meat was growing cold, but still smelled delicious."
"the serving staff entered with teas and fruit to close the meal; one tried to take his steak,"

Not too detailed, but there's something.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:40 PM, Fourth Of The Night said:

Oh my god, I've never thought about that. Of course Soulcast meat would be Vegan!

Actually, now that I think of it: Soulcast food would -not- be vegan because the Gemhearts that are used in Soulcasting come from animals! Can mined gems hold Stormlight?

Yes, mined gems can hold stormlight (edit; I have no WoB). They are rarer and it is hard to predict where they might appear, unlike the pupating habits of greatshells, but they are usable.
But I don't know if I would say that makes them non-vegan. Some people say beer is non-vegan, for it utilizes animal byproducts in the process. Those are not ingredients in the beer itself, never intended to be a part of the finished product, but rather is a method - so I do not consider it animal-derived myself.

Moreover, with this specific moral conundrum, it is more distant, I believe. It is like buying a vegan product from a company known for its animal derivatives.

In any way, it will have a vegan version, as will many of my recipes. While I am not currently vegan myself, my father, whom had introduced me to Sanderson (via Mistborn), is. So are many in my family, and many of my friends, which is not surprising considering Israel is very vegan indeed. I do not know what I will incorporate (vegan ground meat or making a custom vegan alternative).

Edited by Kat Kfir

I think that for cremling shells in Chouta, you could do small, shell-on shrimp, deep fried. The shells of shellfish are perfectly edible, they only need some chewing. 

I envision it as a barley and cornmeal flatbread, with brown rice and pearled barley, chunks of beef, pork, or shellfish, and falafel-esque meatballs all in a dark shellfish gravy. I've been meaning to make it, but fictional meals are lower on priority lists for broke college students. 

Edited by orangesrhyme
I can't spell "barley" apparently

7 hours ago, orangesrhyme said:

I think that for cremling shells in Chouta, you could do small, shell-on shrimp, deep fried. The shells of shellfish are perfectly edible, they only need some chewing. 

I envision it as a barely and cornmeal flatbread, with brown rice and pearled barley, chunks of beef, pork, or shellfish, and falafel-esque meatballs all in a dark shellfish gravy. I've been meaning to make it, but fictional meals are lower on priority lists for broke college students. 

I personally always eat shrimp shell, and find them quite delightful, so I planned on doing similar things with Horneater recipes as a general rule. Sadly, I cannot test this as making fist batches requires more ingredients to test variations - and I cannot afford to make things such as any of the stews, nor anything involving expensive ingredients such as shrimp. Currently trying to get on my feet. But, if any of you support  me on Patreon, I will put it towards researching food.

I am currently using brown rice as the basis for taloo. I might do what you suggest with fridge-dulled white rice, trying to mimic the soulcast taste (to remind you, soulcasting makes bland and potentially revolting food. mentioned when Kal goes drinking). The flatbread I plan for is store bought, as I know how difficult it would be to make an all new flatbread. Maybe later I will do so. For now, I have four store-bought options, each with it's downsides and with research needed for it.

Edited by Kat Kfir

• Chaos locked this topic