Oathbringer Typos (spoilers)

Jofwu

On 4/3/2018 at 10:58 AM, Viridian said:

Chapter 21:

Shouldn't that be "Are you a highprince?"?

(...unless Sebarial was so relaxed from the massage that he was slurring his speech.)

Not sure an "a" is necessary there. Imagine he's a king and he said, "Are you king?"

---

Edit:

Chapter 78 (Tor hardback page 767, very bottom):

Candied meats, stacks of flatbread crusted with sugar, fruits and pastries.

Missing Oxford comma?

Edited by Jofwu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Chapter 120, page 1179 of the ebook:

“Soulcasting is a practiced art,” Jasnah said. “Up, up. Keep walking.” She sliced the steps off as they walked. “Remember, you mustn’t order stones, as they are more stubborn than men. Use coercion. Speak of freedom and of movement. But for a gas becoming a solid, you must impose discipline and will. Each Essence is different, and each offers advantages and disadvantages when used as a substrate for Soulcasting.”

Given context, I don't think "coercion" is the right word. If you "mustn't order stones", then coercion is even less likely to yield the desired results. If you must "speak of freedom and of movement" to convince them to change, then the proper word would be "persuasion"... or maybe "cajolery".

• Pagerunner changed the title to Oathbringer Typos (spoilers)
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is a typo, considering Kholinar had corrupted spren all over the place.

p716 (hardcover) "...Hungerspren buzzed about the heads of the people, like black specks..."

versus

p212 (hardcover) "A single hungerspren started flitting about his head, like a tiny brown fly..."

Other mentions of hungerspren (such as p47 softbound in Ch 2 of The Way of Kings) also describe them as brown.

9 hours ago, dvoraen said:

I'm not sure if this is a typo, considering Kholinar had corrupted spren all over the place.

p716 (hardcover) "...Hungerspren buzzed about the heads of the people, like black specks..."

versus

p212 (hardcover) "A single hungerspren started flitting about his head, like a tiny brown fly..."

Other mentions of hungerspren (such as p47 softbound in Ch 2 of The Way of Kings) also describe them as brown.

OB chapter 62:

"She’d managed to glimpse some hungerspren around a refugee on their way. Oddly, those didn’t look any different. Why?"

OB chapter 72:

"Hungerspren buzzed about the heads of the people, like black specks, or little flies of the type you could find sometimes on rotting plants."

Seems like the hungerspren in Kholinar didn't look any different for whatever reason, and the description of flies matches in each case. So the only thing off is the color. There's a quote in Edgedancer that also calls them brown flies.

It's possible that the color is an error, but it's possible that they're a dark enough brown that they simply look black at a distance?

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Winds Alight said:

Not really a "typo", but I did find it rather inconsistent that Lift's "Slicking" had always been capitalized during WoR and Edgedancer, but no longer in Oathbringer.

This is probably just a stylistic change that Brandon decided to make. I’m sure that in future publications of WoK and WoR, it won’t be capitalized anymore. Or the alternative: later publications of OB do have it capitalized.

• 2 months later...

Not a typo, but in Chapter 18: Double Vision, when Shallan goes to the market as Veil, she describes her entire outfit as she turns into Veil:

Veil tossed aside the havah, instead pulling on trousers and a tight shirt, then boots and a long white coat. She finished with only a simple glove on the left hand.

Veil threw a scarf around her neck, then slung a rugged satchel—acquired for Veil specifically—over her shoulder. Hopefully the conspicuous knife handle sticking out from the top would look natural, even intimidating.

She tied another knife onto her belt, long, but not quite a sword, since Veil wasn’t lighteyed.

but doesn't mention a hat until later in the chapter when she uses Stormlight to clear the alcohol from her blood:

She set a sphere on the boxes as a tip, pulled on her hat, then patted Jor fondly on the cheek before striding out of the tent.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a typo, but a physical anomaly stood out to me in two places.

Hardcover pg. 90

He Lashed himself upward so he rose into the air, then added a Lashing downward, leaving him to hover about two feet above the floor...

This does not conserve momentum properly, as simply lashing himself upward, then making himself weightless would not lead him to hover in place, but would leave him slowly drifting upward. To cause hovering, we should instead have: "He Lashed himself upward so he rose into the air, then added a Lashing downward to slow himself, gradually reducing it to hover about two feet above the floor."

Hardcover pg. 868

He continued falling upward until another Skybreaker caught him and Lashed him downward, counteracting the first effect and leaving him hovering.

This wording is less explicit but stands out to me because of the previous situation.

Also, we have Kaladin nearly blacking out at one point when he changes direction. But, if Lashings truly manipulate gravity, he should not experience acceleration at any point, and should feel almost weightless at first, only feeling weight when he approaches terminal velocity. Blacking out would only be caused by uneven acceleration.

Hardcover pg. 1100

The sudden, jarring change made his stomach lurch and his vision go black. Even with Stormlight, this was almost too much. His ears ringing, he gritted his teeth, riding the momentary loss of sight until-blessedly-his vision returned...Let's...not try that again

Edited by CosmereScholar

On 3/17/2019 at 0:17 PM, CosmereScholar said:

Blacking out would only be caused by uneven acceleration.

And by high g's (at high terminal velocities). I figure it could also come from changing direction as well, if you roughly maintain terminal velocity and if the direction change is relatively fast. (thus, the high drag force changing directions very suddenly) Perhaps you could also reorient your body so that it's facing the same direction relative to the drag and avoid that, but then your body is rotating very fast, which might cause similar problems.

Better to discuss details in a topic on the Stormlight forum though. I doubt they will rework specifics like this because there are similar issues in Words of Radiance that were never addressed. I get the sense Brandon's happy with the balance he has between being correct and being intuitive to a typical reader.

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2019 at 10:17 AM, CosmereScholar said:

Not a typo, but a physical anomaly stood out to me in two places.

Hardcover pg. 90

This does not conserve momentum properly, as simply lashing himself upward, then making himself weightless would not lead him to hover in place, but would leave him slowly drifting upward. To cause hovering, we should instead have: "He Lashed himself upward so he rose into the air, then added a Lashing downward to slow himself, gradually reducing it to hover about two feet above the floor."

That is not how Lashings work. It's been explained elsewhere.

To the people who have posted after my last post in this thread: I'm getting a lot of these fixed in the mass market paperback.

Edited by PeterAhlstrom

• 2 months later...

Oathbringer Chapter 16: Wrapped Three Times

Dalinar gestured at the takama shirt he was wearing.

Takamas are repeatedly described as skirt-like, often paired with a separate shirt. (even within this same chapter) I'm assuming this should read "takama skirt"

That said, it's possibly a continuity error, where Brandon was thinking the garment is something different than how it is described? On a recent Shardcast, @thegatorgirl00 noticed that this line (again in chapter 16) is a little odd:

The ardent caught his sword, then grabbed his takama with his free hand, pulling him close, face to face.

Seems a little strange to pull someone close by their skirt.

• 4 months later...