Jofwu

Oathbringer Typos (spoilers)

197 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, XJTA said:

In Celebrant the Fused speaking to the registrar seems to refer to Pattern as the wrong kind of spren.

 

That is intentional. Remember, Shallan had been masquerading as an Elsecaller in Urithiru, so the Fused were working from bad intel.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The image prior to chapter 58 that shows the Theyan fashions.  If you look closely at the top dress, the slope of the front parts go down to a point on the left, but up to a point on the right.  So it's a V on the left, and an A on the right.

 

A similar thing is going on with the bottom images.  The front shows the bodice going down to a V, but the side shows the bodice going up to an A.

Or am I mistaken and they are different dresses?

 

fashion_thaylen_web.jpg t

Edited by RShara
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2017 at 4:29 PM, KidWayne said:

In the first sentence of the third paragraph in the Ars Arcanum, it states that there are "ten levels of Void-binding." (page 1237)

Well that's all well and good but it contradicts Moash in Chapter 121 - IDEALS:

Disclaimer - this may be an intentional continuity error since the Ars Arcanum is an in-world, secondary source text or just to call attention to something that will be explained later. I just thought I'd call it out as a typo if it is indeed unintentional.

 

I assume this is either Khriss's error or an error in Arcanum Unbounded.

On 11/18/2017 at 4:27 AM, Grimalkin said:

Interludes I-5, Taravangian:

"So Taravangian had sent the Assassin in White, which—incredibly—had failed."

Shouldn't that be "who" instead?

 

The prose in this chapter is purposely opaque. This does refer to the sending as what failed.

On 11/18/2017 at 9:38 AM, Zmann966 said:

Chapter 39: Notes

All the main cast is sharing information and chatting about the next steps when:

 

(Emphasis mine)

Should be "further."
Normally I wouldn't be such a pedant, but this is Jasnah we're talking about. If anyone knows the correct usage of farther and further, it'd be her. ;)

Yeah, this is an error.

On 11/18/2017 at 1:08 PM, Joe ST said:

Chapter 93 epigraph mentions Taxil not Traxil who was in TWoK chapter 45 epigraph

Wow, very nice catch. We'll fix it.

22 hours ago, Grimalkin said:


Chapter 77:

"Finally, she let herself slip fully into Veil’s persona. She immediately shook her head and fetched the clothing and satchel. She was lucky it hadn’t been stolen. Foolish girl. They didn’t have time for prancing around from poem to poem.Veil found a secluded location beside a large gnarled tree whose roots spread all the way along the wall in either direction. She quickly rearranged her underclothing, then put on her trousers and did up her shirt. She pulled on her hat, checked herself in a hand mirror, then nodded.
Right, then. Time to meet up with Vathah.
He was waiting at the inn where Wit had once stayed. Radiant retained hope that she’d meet him again there, for a more thorough interrogation."

Now where did Radiant come from and why? This is Veil's narrative. There is really no reason why Radiant, of all of them, should surface here.

Radiant is the type of person to think about interrogating people thoroughly. Shallan slips in and out of the personas without meaning to.

19 hours ago, Peet said:

On page 1150 of the ebook, does this use of "nonplussed" mean surprised? I only ask because in recent years in North America people have started using it with a meaning completely opposite from its definition, and Jasnah has been characterized as one who often appears unfazed. I'm confused as to whether she is surprised, or unperturbed. 

It means unperturbed. We had a lot of discussions about this wording, but this is the way Brandon uses it and I'm fine with that. I also find it a mischaracterization when people say the old meaning and the new meaning are completely opposite. Nonplussed does not mean surprised in the old meaning, it means confused. Confused and bothered are not synonyms.

18 hours ago, ReticentBondsmith said:

To go along with this, on page 494 of both the US Kindle and hardcover editions it says:

"I'm telling you, I'm dangerous. Sure, I can crush this little rebellion, bathe Oathbringer in some blood. Great. Wonderful. Then what? I come back here and lock myself in a cage again?"

 

I wasn't sure if I should report this as that's an idiom that could still exist in the world considering not all blades are shardblades, but it seemed less applicable to Oathbringer. :)

Yeah, it's no problem here, though it's not strictly accurate.

17 hours ago, Dragon314 said:

PAGE 682, US hardcover edition has some questionable quotation marks that may or may not be correct 

Something just feels off about the quotation marks around these and the next two paragraphs. Can someone help validate my feeling of wrongness?

This is the correct use of quotation marks in English. When a speaker's dialogue stretches across multiple paragraphs without interruption, there are quotation marks at the beginning of the paragraph but not the end, until the dialogue is finished.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RShara said:

The image prior to chapter 58 that shows the Theyan fashions.  If you look closely at the top dress, the slope of the front parts go down to a point on the left, but up to a point on the right.  So it's a V on the left, and an A on the right.

 

A similar thing is going on with the bottom images.  The front shows the bodice going down to a V, but the side shows the bodice going up to an A.

Or am I mistaken and they are different dresses?

Mmmm. It does look like something funky is going on. I'll bring this to Isaac's attention.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, PeterAhlstrom said:

It means unperturbed. We had a lot of discussions about this wording, but this is the way Brandon uses it and I'm fine with that. I also find it a mischaracterization when people say the old meaning and the new meaning are completely opposite. Nonplussed does not mean surprised in the old meaning, it means confused. Confused and bothered are not synonyms.

Thanks for the clarification. A few of the dictionaries I looked at say nonplussed means, "surprised, confused, and not certain how to react." Perhaps the two meanings are not completely opposite but they are different enough to cause confusion.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PeterAhlstrom said:

Wow, very nice catch. We'll fix it.

I was cheating :ph34r::ph34r: I found it by making a list of every word in the book then taking out all the dictionary words, and then all the ones that were already in the wiki. now we're down to just the red topics on this page which I've gone through and found short descriptions for. Unhelpfully I distinctly remember noticing another typo but I didn't remember to report it so I don't know where it was now... 

Another thing, it may have been reported/fixed already, but in the kindle version all the Mythica epigraphs have had some magic linking done to their chapter wording?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was just pointed out on Reddit that the Heralds in the chapter heading of Interlude 8 are not mirrored properly.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PeterAhlstrom said:

I assume this is either Khriss's error or an error in Arcanum Unbounded.

Arcanum Unbounded or Ars Arcanum?

Anyways, even WoR’s Ars Arcanum mentioned 10 levels of voidbinding...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PeterAhlstrom said:

Mmmm. It does look like something funky is going on. I'll bring this to Isaac's attention.

Also, the curves on the silver/grey lines on the third/second-bottom dress don't seem to mesh.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Paragrin said:

Also, the curves on the silver/grey lines on the third/second-bottom dress don't seem to mesh.

I thought that might have just been a resolution issue.  But looking at the full size one, you're right.

The second one from the top, the left dress is missing the upper part of the gold embroidery on the bodice abdomen.  Or, the right dress has an extra ^ on it.

Edited by RShara
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Midpeace is capitalised twice in Oathbringer (chapters 58, 69) but in my copy of Oathbringer (I think it's the initial one still) it is lower-case (chapter 45). 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joe ST said:

Midpeace is capitalised twice in Oathbringer (chapters 58, 69) but in my copy of Oathbringer (I think it's the initial one still) it is lower-case (chapter 45). 

I can't find a mention of midpeace in chapter 45. Oh, you mean Words of Radiance. Yeah, we just need to change Words of Radiance.

20 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

It was just pointed out on Reddit that the Heralds in the chapter heading of Interlude 8 are not mirrored properly.

This one is not supposed to be mirrored "properly."

21 hours ago, Joe ST said:

Another thing, it may have been reported/fixed already, but in the kindle version all the Mythica epigraphs have had some magic linking done to their chapter wording?

I don't know what you mean. Could you be more specific?

13 hours ago, axcellence said:

Arcanum Unbounded or Ars Arcanum?

Anyways, even WoR’s Ars Arcanum mentioned 10 levels of voidbinding...

Ah, I misread. Still, I assume this is Khriss's error. I'll talk to Brandon.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeterAhlstrom said:

I don't know what you mean. Could you be more specific?

all of the Mythica epigraphs appear like follows:

Quote

—From Hessi’s Mythica, here

where the word 'here' is a hyperlink to somewhere in the book. this happened on the read.amazon.com site and the file I downloaded to my computer using the kindle app, and my version on an older kindle.

(and yes, I meant WoR#45 had a lower case midpeace, oops, thanks for the clarification)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, wow, that is a big problem. Is that the US or UK version?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PeterAhlstrom said:

Wow, wow, that is a big problem. Is that the US or UK version?

@Joe ST is referring to UK version.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Page 425,Location 8511 of the U.S. Kindle version , when Shallan is gambling with her soldiers.

"My brothers always said the same thing," she said as he split the pot with Shob, who had gotten them all right but three. (Emphasis mine) 

Seems to have omitted a "s" 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AluminumGnat said:

Page 425,Location 8511 of the U.S. Kindle version , when Shallan is gambling with her soldiers.

"My brothers always said the same thing," she said as he split the pot with Shob, who had gotten them all right but three. (Emphasis mine) 

Seems to have omitted a "s" 

She's not the one splitting the pot.  Vathah is splitting the pot with Shob, because Shob guessed a bunch of the cards right.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMPORTANT NOTE for UK ebook readers (white cover): 

A new ebook version was uploaded by Gollancz as of at latest November 22. If you see an error in your ebook, be sure to download the latest version and check it to see if it's still there. On Kindle, you can force-update your book by going to the Manage Your Content and Devices page on Amazon.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the audiobook, Dalinar talks about supporting "Galivar" during a flashback (don't have a timestamp but it was in the flashback where the Thrill almost drove him to kill his brother)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is less a typo, and (maybe) more of an inconsistency, but on page 169 of the hardcover Dalinar thinks Rial is a little pale for an Alethi, while on page 582 Dalinar thinks he's 'leathery and dark-skinned'.
 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this goes in here, but my book (US edition, ordered from bookdepository.co.uk) has pages 481 to 512 missing, with duplicated pages 417 to 448 in its place.

I think a couple more books will have the same error, so beware.

 

IMG_20171122_211900.jpg

IMG_20171122_211918.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Effir said:

Not sure if this goes in here, but my book (US edition, ordered from bookdepository.co.uk) has pages 481 to 512 missing, with duplicated pages 417 to 448 in its place.

I think a couple more books will have the same error, so beware.

 

IMG_20171122_211900.jpg

IMG_20171122_211918.jpg

Hang on to that.  Get it signed.  In 50 years, it'll be worth a fortune!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2017 at 9:21 AM, Napoli said:

This was accidentally submitted in the regular forum this morning. I thought I was inside the Typos section when posting.

**********

@PeterAhlstrom

I believe there is a typo in the first paragraph of p. 884 that is continued from p. 883.

The last sentence of this paragraph reads, "In the real WOULD, they'd be in the water..."

It should likely read:

"In the real WORLD, they'd be in the water..."

 

Hope that helps. Thanks for all your hard work!

Just noticed that, but it looks like you got top it first.;)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interlude I-2, Ellista's perspective

Quote

The humidity wasn’t good for books, but weak storms went hand-in-hand with fecundity. You simply had to accept that. Hopefully those new fabrials to draw water from the air would—

Fecundity is defined as " the ability to produce an abundance of offspring or new growth; fertility."  That doesn't seem to fit in with the meaning of the sentence?

 

I-21, Shallan's perspective

Quote

Everyone started celebrating. Shallan, Radiant, and Veil just settled down on the wall walk, back to the stone.

Radiant worried they’d leave the city undefended in their reverie. And what had become of the enemy that had been fighting in the streets? The defenders had to make certain this wasn’t an elaborate feint.

Should "reverie" be "revelry"?

Interlude I-21, Venli's perspective

Quote

Timbre pulsed to Irritation, then the Lost.

Should that be "to Irritation, then to Lost"?  I assume Timbre is pulsing to a Rhythm.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a typo, but out of 4 consecutive sentences, the word 'strikingly' is used descriptively in two of them.   Seeing that was enough to pull me out of the flow of the story for a bit, and still remember a week later.

p.39, US hardcover, last sentence of the penultimate paragraph: "...it was strikingly easy to get lost in this place..."

p.40, US hardcover, first sentence of the first paragraph: "...a strikingly high structure..."

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.