2017-11-13 [Oathbringer Release Party] Utah Valley Convention Center, Provo

Mason Wheeler

4 hours ago, taxilian said:

That was all pretty fun -- it was awesome to hang out so much with so many other fans talking theory =]

Just finished the book for the first time.... minor spoilers: it was awesome.

Hello Taxilian!  #3, right?

Thanks for all fun conversations! My son is 20 pages from finishing the book while I’m supposed to be cleaning up Legos. But instead I’m reading this thread because it’s the only safe thread to read!!!!!

When he got to that chapter you told us we would know by he was like yeah - mom, I totally know! (I’m not that far yet)

Hoping I can read tonight. I was so tired yesterday that i didn’t get much reading in. 

@Ravioli thank you for the script on that. Fun to see Spensa written down. I can still hear Brandon saying it in my head. 

Just popping in really quick to post and then it's right back to reading.

What a great event this was! SO much fun and very well organized considering how many people were there.

I took my best friend with me and we both got a couple of questions in, not sure if they're interesting in the grand scheme of things, but they were interesting enough to us. (all answers are paraphrased but as close to the exact language as I can remember.)

FRIEND (LIZ): So in Rithmatist, it's stated that the people who are chosen to be Rithmatists are random, but with Melody everyone in her family is a Rithmastist, is it random?

BRANDON: No, it is not random.

LIZ: What was the inspiration for the talents in Alcatraz?

BRANDON: Just dumb things that I and my family do.

ME: If someone were to create another awakened sword in the exact same way that Vasher made Nightblood, how would they interact? Would they destroy each other?

BRANDON: RAFO! (not terribly surprising, but I had to try, but also I forgot to ask the second half of this question, which was 'Would it be different from how Nightblood would interact with a shardblade?" but that may have also been a RAFO. Plus I finally got my RAFO card, since I didn't get one last year when I got a RAFO answer)

ME: Are there a finite number of types of spren or can new ones be created?

BRANDON: New ones can be created.

ME: You mentioned that the Rithmatist magic was originally cosmere, but you pulled it out because it wasn't working. What about the magic didn't work?

BRANDON: The magic wasn't the problem, it was the setting. I decided I didn't want earth as part of the cosmere so I pulled it out. The magic is still very cosmere though.

All in all it was a great time.

ALSO, if anyone knows who the two guys cosplaying as Wax and Wayne were/how to get in contact with them I would very much like to know because A, they looked awesome, and B. my friend and I have Steris and Marasi cosplays and we need a Wax and Wayne.

Edited by AllomancerSam

1 hour ago, JoyBlu said:

Hello Taxilian!  #3, right?

Thanks for all fun conversations! My son is 20 pages from finishing the book while I’m supposed to be cleaning up Legos. But instead I’m reading this thread because it’s the only safe thread to read!!!!!

When he got to that chapter you told us we would know by he was like yeah - mom, I totally know! (I’m not that far yet)

Yep, that's me.  I figured I should drop in for a few posts =] Events like that become more than the sum of the people who are at them, but each adds a bit of flavor =] Thanks for your contributions, particularly the hot chocolate!

16 hours ago, taxilian said:

Yep, that's me.  I figured I should drop in for a few posts =] Events like that become more than the sum of the people who are at them, but each adds a bit of flavor =] Thanks for your contributions, particularly the hot chocolate!

Yes! The hot chocolate was awesome! :lol: Thank you once again!

I'm only on chapter 7, and I just finished the part with Kaladin punching *someone* (don't want to post spoilers yet) in the face! That was awesome and long awaited. I didn't read the chapters online and am taking my time, but I've enjoyed the book so far. 

OK, so if we're posting cosplay pictures from the event, here are the best ones I saw:

A pair of Shardbearers with two very different Blades:

dv0atQK.jpg

Shallan and Pattern:

XEo0azH.jpg

You can see how Pattern's patterns are done in two layers, one in front of the other.  What this image doesn't show is that the one in front can rotate, thus giving the impression of an ever-shifting pattern.

Navani and Dalinar:

5kANaI1.jpg

That was a lot of fun, seeing all the cool costumes.  Hopefully there will be plenty more at the next one. :D

I love the the entire Arcanum project...but I do miss being able to almost immediately see signing reports in these threads. BS never comes near my city, so it's fun reading them. This particular event has at least 208 entries, it looked like (before that info was hidden). But nothing is readable, yet. I assume posters are directly submitting there instead of in the forum threads for the most part?

20 minutes ago, masaru said:

I love the the entire Arcanum project...but I do miss being able to almost immediately see signing reports in these threads. BS never comes near my city, so it's fun reading them. This particular event has at least 208 entries, it looked like (before that info was hidden). But nothing is readable, yet. I assume posters are directly submitting there instead of in the forum threads for the most part?

What you are seeing here is, hopefully, not how future events will be handled. We are still figuring things out, and as a result we not only have fewer transcribers than usual (just the Arcanists), we also can't show you guys what we've transcribed (until Peter greenlights us). Once the Oathbringer craziness dies down a little I imagine both we and Team Sanderson will have a little more time to figure this out.

1 hour ago, Argent said:

What you are seeing here is, hopefully, not how future events will be handled. We are still figuring things out, and as a result we not only have fewer transcribers than usual (just the Arcanists), we also can't show you guys what we've transcribed (until Peter greenlights us). Once the Oathbringer craziness dies down a little I imagine both we and Team Sanderson will have a little more time to figure this out.

Arcanum entries are subject to Peter approvals? 

1 hour ago, masaru said:

Arcanum entries are subject to Peter approvals? 

During the Salt Lake Comic-Con, Brandon told a forum member that all audio transcriptions have to be checked by Peter so that (a) Brandon’s personal wiki can be updated, (b) things that should not be canonized can be removed so that they are not public, and (c) things that are ambiguous and would cause problems for Brandon later can be clarified and/or reworded.

53 minutes ago, TheOneKEA said:

During the Salt Lake Comic-Con, Brandon told a forum member that all audio transcriptions have to be checked by Peter so that (a) Brandon’s personal wiki can be updated, (b) things that should not be canonized can be removed so that they are not public, and (c) things that are ambiguous and would cause problems for Brandon later can be clarified and/or reworded.

Well, that's interesting. Sounds like a bit of a bottleneck, but I guess it avoids misconceptions.

Sorry , I have been meaning to post this in here for a while.

My questions were,

Snipexe: If an Aon was drawn farther away from Elantris but was much larger, would it be more powerful then a smaller one?

Brandon: yes, to an extant.

Snipexe: Would it be possible for an allomancer with multiple personalities to have different allomantic powers with each personality?

Brandon: no, good question.

Edited by Ookla the Stickquistor

Any update on the Arcanum entry for this event (or any of the subsequent events)? There's so much discussion happening about OB and it's ramifications, but we may be operating with less information than Arcanum transcribers, hard to know what will be outdated theories when the WoBs hit those not attending the small amount of events.

2 hours ago, masaru said:

Any update on the Arcanum entry for this event (or any of the subsequent events)? There's so much discussion happening about OB and it's ramifications, but we may be operating with less information than Arcanum transcribers, hard to know what will be outdated theories when the WoBs hit those not attending the small amount of events.

I know this sucks, but you are going to have to bear with us just a little longer. I think it would be up to  @Chaos whether wants to share specific status.

On 11/29/2017 at 4:20 PM, the.fulgid said:

@the.fulgid

i hope it wasn't too big of a shock to see your photo on there!

yes!  In fact after I left the party and finished the book I immediately wished for an after party where we could discuss the book in person. If there are enough people interested in a cosmere book club in Utah County, where we met in person either a few times a year or on a monthly basis — that would be a lot of fun. I wonder if one of the local libraries would let us hold it there. I’ll look Into it, and post back once I know. In the meantime feel free to post here or message me if you want to be invited to such a gathering if we do ever have one. 

Edited by JoyBlu
Grammar

Sorry about the delay on Arcanum stuff. Brandon wanted Peter to review it, and we didn't know what the review process should be like. However, we developed a plan with Peter. Things that need to be reviewed will be labeled "Pending Review," but you all can still see this stuff.

For the next book tour things will go much more smoothly. This was unexpected and Dragonsteel didn't have a concrete plan, so it took us a bit to hash that out.